Cunard to RCCL

bobby1119

For my CruiseCritic mates who have sailed RCCL...

I Need to stay close to home this winter and need a convenient getaway, so I booked a 12 day cruise on RCCL Explorer of the Seas (my first with them).

I have an open mind, and I am always open to new experiences. As a Cunard veteran, what should I expect in terms of dress code, dining, and overall experience?

Thanks,

Bobby

I've only sailed on them once (Brilliance, Trans Atlantic) and I was favourably impressed. Friends have been impressed by the Voyager class.

Its a different product - the food in the dining room was pretty good (huge chunk of protein, vegetable portion garnish size - had to ask for more, but waiter got it down quickly & did not have to ask again). The buffet was easier to navigate than QM2's Kings Court - but the food poorer.

Service generally friendly - without being pushy 'let me tell you about my girlfriend' a la Princess...' and hardware very impressive - build quality (German) frankly better than Cunard (Franco-Italian) - modern, quite tasteful design, without being too garish.

Trans Atlantic passengers probably different crowd from ex-Miami - so difficult to comment.

Two areas where RCCL fall way short of Cunard are booze - no-name gin and 'sparkling wine' that would have you running to the Pol Acker in relief and gratitude, and 'stimulation' - the Library is a joke and the 'talks' almost non-existent - but on your itinerary that may not matter too much.

Hope that helps - enjoy your cruise!

We’ve just come back from QV and have also travelled on RCCL Voyager Class. Overall I preferred Cunard but we are booked for Cunard and RCCL for next year and I would happily do either. I thought the food on Cunard (Princess Grill) was a lot better than the RCCL main dining room or the Portofino restaurant, however, I thought the Windjammar/Cafe Promenade on RCCL were quite a lot better than the Lido buffet on QV. Cunard was definitely more formal than RCCL. While people did dress up on RCCL there were always a few people that turned up to the dining room in jeans or leggings on the formal evenings (but 95% of people adhered to the dress code) and lots of people changed back into casual after dinner. Cabin sizes on RCCL seem good, as we were in a Princess Grill cabin on Cunard and to be honest it wasn’t that much bigger than the balcony cabin on RCCL.

I loved the ice show on RCCL and other family members loved the magic shows etc. However, overall I liked the entertainment on Cunard better – it was less ‘in your face’ and the live music was plentiful and of a good quality. I hated all the announcements on RCCL trying to get you to bingo or art auctions or to join in knobbly knees or Mr & Mrs competitions. They offered art auctions and bingo on Cunard but they didn’t make announcements or try to sell you things all the time like they did on RCCL. As someone else mentioned the library on Cunard is excellent. In comparison, the one on Voyager was three times the size but seemed to have hardly any books on the shelf (as libraries go it was a bit of a joke). Drinks prices and menus were better on Cunard (no tacky souvenir plastic cups), and they seemed to have better strength cocktails. However, as I said they are different products and while we preferred Cunard, I am also more than happy to be travelling with RCCL again next year.

Have fun :)

We’ve just come back from QV and have also travelled on RCCL Voyager Class. Overall I preferred Cunard but we are booked for Cunard and RCCL for next year and I would happily do either. I thought the food on Cunard (Princess Grill) was a lot better than the RCCL main dining room or the Portofino restaurant, however, I thought the Windjammar/Cafe Promenade on RCCL were quite a lot better than the Lido buffet on QV. Cunard was definitely more formal than RCCL. While people did dress up on RCCL there were always a few people that turned up to the dining room in jeans or leggings on the formal evenings (but 95% of people adhered to the dress code) and lots of people changed back into casual after dinner. Cabin sizes on RCCL seem good, as we were in a Princess Grill cabin on Cunard and to be honest it wasn’t that much bigger than the balcony cabin on RCCL.

I loved the ice show on RCCL and other family members loved the magic shows etc. However, overall I liked the entertainment on Cunard better – it was less ‘in your face’ and the live music was plentiful and of a good quality. I hated all the announcements on RCCL trying to get you to bingo or art auctions or to join in knobbly knees or Mr & Mrs competitions. They offered art auctions and bingo on Cunard but they didn’t make announcements or try to sell you things all the time like they did on RCCL. As someone else mentioned the library on Cunard is excellent. In comparison, the one on Voyager was three times the size but seemed to have hardly any books on the shelf (as libraries go it was a bit of a joke). Drinks prices and menus were better on Cunard (no tacky souvenir plastic cups), and they seemed to have better strength cocktails. However, as I said they are different products and while we preferred Cunard, I am also more than happy to be travelling with RCCL again next year.

Have fun :)

The cabin we had was huge, a lot bigger than Cunard, the windjammer has to be the best buffet anywhere, food was wonderful, layout great and the ice show, how do they do that on a ship?????.cocktails and drinks service I found a lot better on RCCL, dint like the announcements, I agree with you there.

there is good and bad on both lines-put an RCCL bed on a cunard ship and I would very happy

We've done both Explorer and Cunard and enjoyed them both. However, it is too almost completely different experiences. Explorer is about entertainment and activities. Cunard is about sophistication. As far as dressing, it is much less formal on Explorer.

Thank you all for your insights and comments.

Thanks, Sea Mates, for the link to the RCCL/Cunard thread.

Bobby

Hello Bobby,

I am the one that wrote the comparison between the two ships. To be honest, I went with a slight amount of pessimism, but hoped for the best. The ship and its passengers far exceeded my expectations. As I said in the review, the passengers weren''t nearly as dressed to the nines as they are on the QM2, however, they looked quite nice, all and all. I do believe lots of people avoided the dining room becasue of formal nights, but then most of the passengers were Americans and not known for dressing up very much any more.

The food was quite good and in my opinion compared favorably with the Britannia Dining Room. Generally the passengers were slightly younger--not young, but younger and not quite as proper as they are on the QM2, but certainly not improper by any means. Much of the activity takes place around the pools during the day. There is a great deal to do on board this lovely ship. We really enjoyed it. Just go with an open mind and enjoy what the Explorer has to offer and I believe you will enjoy the experience every bit as much as we did.:)

Hello Bobby,

I am the one that wrote the comparison between the two ships. To be honest, I went with a slight amount of pessimism, but hoped for the best. The ship and its passengers far exceeded my expectations. As I said in the review, the passengers weren''t nearly as dressed to the nines as they are on the QM2, however, they looked quite nice, all and all. I do believe lots of people avoided the dining room becasue of formal nights, but then most of the passengers were Americans and not known for dressing up very much any more.

The food was quite good and in my opinion compared favorably with the Britannia Dining Room. Generally the passengers were slightly younger--not young, but younger and not quite as proper as they are on the QM2, but certainly not improper by any means. Much of the activity takes place around the pools during the day. There is a great deal to do on board this lovely ship. We really enjoyed it. Just go with an open mind and enjoy what the Explorer has to offer and I believe you will enjoy the experience every bit as much as we did.:)

Gail,

Thank you for the additional information in this post. I went back and re-read your original post again.

Your photographing the buckets of beer project made me laugh.

I selected RCCL because I need a quick and easy getaway to

the sunshine that does not involve air travel. RCCL as opposed to NCL seemed a better choice for me given my affinity for and comfort level with Cunard.

I do like late seating traditional dining, which RCCL offers. Just the thought of having to make reservations or wait in a bar/lounge with a buzzer for a restaurant reservation to clear on NCL would drive me over the edge. It's the tyranny of mainstream eating establishments (Friday's and the like) at sea.

Again, thank you for your fair and honest review and your helpful comments.

Bobby

Well, I debated with myself as to whether to post this or not, but I guess I'm just too opinionated to resist. My husband & I as first time Cunard cruisers (Nov 6 nite TA) had anticipated expensive, classy attire on the women, like one would see at a formal social event. Actually we looked forward to seeing such, since we both appreciate (but rarely practice) such fashion. On our cruise, we ourselves only dined in the Briannia on 1 night (another story), however, we often saw others waiting, or going into/out of the Britannia dining room, or walking elsewhere. On formal nights, we were so surprised at the attire. It was formal, but it was not classy. I know, I know - I am not a professional fashion industry icon, but I can detect a fine set of clothing. What I saw was a small amount of good looking quality (& probably expensive) formal wear, but mostly what I saw was inexpensive (Walmart, Kohls, Penneys) clothing - puckering, low quality, not hanging well, etc. Now I don't have a problem with such clothing, have some myself. Just that after all of the arguing on CC regarding attire, I was very surprised.

I also saw some very unsophisticated dressing - especially too much skin on women who would do best to cover up! Ladies, please (!), when one reaches a certain age and/or weight, for the sake of yourself & the rest of us, cover up that skin and don't wear clinging clothes when many lbs overweight! You'll look so much classier. I can say this because I am 68 yo & about 10 lbs overweight - cover it up ladies!

I post this only because of wanting to point out the reality of the Cunard formal attire. I feel some cruisers don't select Cunard because of the hype/PR, & not wanting to buy expensive clothing for a cruise, & not wanting to feel out of place. IMO, no one would look out of place. We cruised back to the US on RCCL. No difference in the quality of attire. Only difference is that on RCCL there was a small number of men who wore a jacket but no tie, or who wore a long sleeved shirt without jacket/tie.

Well, I debated with myself as to whether to post this or not, but I guess I'm just too opinionated to resist. My husband & I as first time Cunard cruisers (Nov 6 nite TA) had anticipated expensive, classy attire on the women, like one would see at a formal social event. Actually we looked forward to seeing such, since we both appreciate (but rarely practice) such fashion. On our cruise, we ourselves only dined in the Briannia on 1 night (another story), however, we often saw others waiting, or going into/out of the Britannia dining room, or walking elsewhere. On formal nights, we were so surprised at the attire. It was formal, but it was not classy. I know, I know - I am not a professional fashion industry icon, but I can detect a fine set of clothing. What I saw was a small amount of good looking quality (& probably expensive) formal wear, but mostly what I saw was inexpensive (Walmart, Kohls, Penneys) clothing - puckering, low quality, not hanging well, etc. Now I don't have a problem with such clothing, have some myself. Just that after all of the arguing on CC regarding attire, I was very surprised.

I also saw some very unsophisticated dressing - especially too much skin on women who would do best to cover up! Ladies, please (!), when one reaches a certain age and/or weight, for the sake of yourself & the rest of us, cover up that skin and don't wear clinging clothes when many lbs overweight! You'll look so much classier. I can say this because I am 68 yo & about 10 lbs overweight - cover it up ladies!

I post this only because of wanting to point out the reality of the Cunard formal attire. I feel some cruisers don't select Cunard because of the hype/PR, & not wanting to buy expensive clothing for a cruise, & not wanting to feel out of place. IMO, no one would look out of place. We cruised back to the US on RCCL. No difference in the quality of attire. Only difference is that on RCCL there was a small number of men who wore a jacket but no tie, or who wore a long sleeved shirt without jacket/tie.

Our cruise on QM2 was in March of 2008, so I can not vouch for whether things have changed greatly, but when we went to Panama and the Caribbean, the passenger's attire on formal nights looked very nice to me. You know, perhaps I am so thrilled to be on a ship, or maybe I have no interest or sophistication about quality or it could be I just plain am enjoying my own good fortune to be on this most impressive ship, but I have never, ever noticed whether clothing is expensive or "classy?"--or even if there was too much skin showing. And furthermore, I suspect it wouldn't be any of my business to speculate just where any one's clothes came from, be it Walmart (which,, by the way, I don't believe even sells formal wear), Kohl's or Penney's. Sometimes it is much better just to worry only about yourself. You would enjoy yourself a great deal more if you did.

And may I add, I am quite positive that you have no idea why certain people do not choose Cunard, and I would speculate that it is not because they fear feeling out of place because of their shabby clothing. That is quite absurd!

What I saw was a small amount of good looking quality (& probably expensive) formal wear, but mostly what I saw was inexpensive (Walmart, Kohls, Penneys) clothing - puckering, low quality, not hanging well, etc. Now I don't have a problem with such clothing, have some myself. Just that after all of the arguing on CC regarding attire, I was very surprised.

Well don't be surprised. The point about this place is that it is nothing more or less than an internet message board and, in that respect, it is no different from tens of thousands of other boards. It reflects absolutely nothing other than the opinions of the people who post here, many of whom are either padding their act and/or soaring off to positively stratospheric heights on the wildest ego trips it's possible to imagine. Like all news groups, message boards, and internet discussion forums, this place tends to attract highly opinionated people, and it bears absolutely no relationship whatsoever to the reality that will be found onboard Cunard ships. Yes, it's possible to get very good, helpful, accurate advice here. But, when it comes round to opinion time, it's as well to have a truck load of salt handy because you are going to need a humungous number of pinches.

J

The wearing of haute couture alas will be found upon those who own or at least rent (heaven forbid) their own vessels. I would say most of the Cunarders would be upper middle class either funding their families or retired (yes,thank you supreme deity) from doing the same. Traveling in such a delightful manner is what we thankfully see as a bonus for circumnavigating life's vicissitudes. Never would we ever want to show this gratitude by what we wear on our backsides.

I would say most of the Cunarders would be upper middle class .

Crumbs I've made it at last then. Thanks JAX,

Best chuck thi clogs away lass, we'm goin; oop in 't wurld. An' put that whippet out, tha mu'nt smoke on t' bowt tha kna's.

An Upwardly Mobile Gari

Crumbs I've made it at last then. Thanks JAX,

Best chuck thi clogs away lass, we'm goin; oop in 't wurld. An' put that whippet out, tha mu'nt smoke on t' bowt tha kna's.

An Upwardly Mobile Gari

Hey, that'll be you, me and John Prescott then! Anybody else you can think of?

J

The wearing of haute couture alas will be found upon those who own or at least rent (heaven forbid) their own vessels. I would say most of the Cunarders would be upper middle class either funding their families or retired (yes,thank you supreme deity) from doing the same. Traveling in such a delightful manner is what we thankfully see as a bonus for circumnavigating life's vicissitudes. Never would we ever want to show this gratitude by what we wear on our backsides.

It doesn't matter how expensive your clothes are. If you don't look good in them that's your fault.

It doesn't matter how expensive your clothes are. If you don't look good in them that's your fault.

Not neccessarily so Nitwit. I always leave home looking like my mam's got me ready for Sunday school. Within 10 minutes of arriving wherever it is we're going I look, so Senior Management informs me, as though I've hurled my clothes into the air and stood under them with a hopeful look on my face. It's genetic old boy, genetic.

A Dishevelled Gari

So I booked and paid for the RCCL Explorer cruise.

I will go with an open mind and expectations, not necessarily lowered, but informed by all the fair and helpful comments in response to my question.

In addition to my open mind, I shall, nevertheless, take with me some of my Cunard wardrobe. LOL.

Will post a reflection/review afterwards.

Bobby (jumping ships?)

So I booked and paid for the RCCL Explorer cruise.

I will go with an open mind and expectations, not necessarily lowered, but informed by all the fair and helpful comments in response to my question.

In addition to my open mind, I shall, nevertheless, take with me some of my Cunard wardrobe. LOL.

Will post a reflection/review afterwards.

Bobby (jumping ships?)

Bobby,

Go and have a wonderful time. I've sailed Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess and Cunard and have had a wonderful time on all of them--you have the right attitude and outlook so you will be just fine. Have fun!:)

We have experienced sailings on Cunard QV and two ships on RCCL's Voyager-class.

I must say that the itinerary does have an impact on the types of people are on that sailing. You typically will not find a Cunarder doing a "booze cruise" because this is not what this line or passengers are about. However, RCCL does offer party-type environments for people who want to let their hair down, so to speak.

RCCL is for more easy-going people that don't mind hearing frequent annoucements of what knick-knack is on special, or when the next pool contest will be happening on the Lido deck, or mind being around people who think courtesies and manners should be used sparingly, because, after all, they are on holiday and don't want to exert any thought to actions.

While this is not to say that passengers on Cunard are solely stiff upper lip and view anyone's ettiquette shortcomings on the same level as steerage. I would compare RCCL and Cunard another way-a vacation to Walt Disney World/EPCOT (RCCL) vs. the White House and Williamsburg (Cunard). Both are fun, offer some sort of education and make vacation time fly by, but you act differently at both. It is not to say that one location is any better or worse than the other, it is just the experience and what is expected of you. You would never see someone run through the lobby of the White House in their bathing suit, but at the same time, you would be hard-pressed to find someone in finest attire standing in line with you at "It's A Small World After All" ride.

Being that we have been on RCCL twice, I think the next time we go, it would be with more family, kids and when we are looking to just have a plain ol' relaxing vacation without a lot of worries about what's on tap for that day. The Cunard, on the other hand, would be reserved for the next time we are wanting a "trip of a lifetime" experience that is on par with the intinerary, such as Europe or Asia.

The Explorer is a good ship. Have a great time!

I agree Philip. Explorer is a good ship. Another thing that I found very nice about RCI is that they offer a bus to the ship from several areas in the northeast, which makes it most convenient getting to and from the ship. And it was very reasonably priced. I really wish Cunard would offer this sort of service to Brooklyn. That would be my wish for the New Year.

Archived