Another Victory review

metman146360

Day 9 (Saturday) St. Kitts

I woke up at 2 am in the most hideous pain. My back hurt, my shoulders hurt, my legs hurt. When I lay still too long at night I wake up in a lot of pain and I thought that might be what this was but was soon to find out different.

I laid there for quite a while and finally got up and went to the bathroom. I found out what it was. I had the flu. I erupted like Mount Vesuvius with diarrhea. I spent quite some time in the bathroom, afraid of waking the neighbors. I finally went back to bed. A couple hours later I was up again. Finally I got to sleep and for the first time during this trip I didn’t wake up until after 9 am.

When I woke up I still hurt all over and had a beach excursion planned for 4 hours but just couldn’t see getting myself trapped for any length of time somewhere away from safety so I decided to ignore that excursion. I laid back down for a bit and decided I wanted to see the port so I got cleaned up, took a vicadin and left the ship. And I was there for exactly 7 minutes. (slight exaggeration)

It did take me only a few minutes to find out I had no business being there so I snapped a couple pictures, camcorded a minute or 2 of video and went right back onto the ship. I don’t even have a description of what the port looked like for you. I didn’t see anything except dizzying pain. My steward didn’t even have time to go into my cabin. When I got back he was apologizing and asking when I would be leaving the cabin again so he could clean and I replied, “Never”. I know it must have thrown his schedule into a tizzy but I felt like dying. And I was not going to hold it against him if one day it didn’t get cleaned like it should have.

I layed back down, turned on the TV for a bit and drifted in and out of sleep for the rest of the day. For a brief time in the afternoon I vomited with such force my ribs and chest muscles hurt for days and when I was conscious all I could think about was if I was going to be strong enough to travel home the next day.

Later when my steward knocked again I made sure he got the extra money I had brought for additional gratuities. He and his assistant were there and they had done such an exceptional job during the week I just had to make sure they got it.

Then I slept for a few more hours. Then it was dinner time. Oh, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to eat anything but again I wanted to make sure the wait staff got their gratuities as well so I got dressed…sort of… and I walked (sort of) down to the dining room. My table mates said I reminded them of warmed over death. I stayed only long enough to explain what happened, with minimal detail and gave the wait staff their extra gratuities. I had to leave when I looked down at the floor and realized that the color of the carpet was the same color as baby diarrhea and my mind was in a whirl as I ran out of the dining room trying to avoid making any more of a scene than just running out.

I successfully made it back to my cabin and slept the rest of the night. My body hurt and I was dizzy and sick but amazingly in the morning I felt much better…not good…but much better. The trip home was long and thank God eventless. But I did finally make it.

After the fact it occurred to me that I should never have left the cabin at all. And had I been in my right mind I would not have done so. With the H1N1 threat ever present I never would have wanted to risk either infecting someone else or even upsetting them with fear over the matter. I still have not figured out exactly what it was. I called off 3 days sick when I got home and now, Friday a week later I am just now feeling all better. There appear to be no more evident symptoms. I did lose 2 lbs from the beginning of the cruise though, which isn’t bad considering during my up time I was eating like a horse.

I was also intensely thankful that it waited until the last day of the cruise to hit me. I don’t know if I got some ill processed food on an excursion. I don’t know if I brought the nasty bug with me in the first place or caught it off Typhoid Mary somewhere on the ship. But in spite of the sickness I consider this to be a very enjoyable cruise and would gladly do it again someday. And hope to as well.

Bravo, Metman! Thank you for an Incredible Review...as others have mentioned...you are so descriptive that I felt as if I was there with you...(I have also done this same itinerary and it was great to relive it through your review)

Again...Thank you for the entertainment!

wow, sorry to hear things ended so badly for you, but I'm happy it happened at the end of the trip instead of the beginning, that would have been horrible! I loved your review though, I appreciate you taking the time to write it! If you have any pictures to share, we'd love to see them:)

Hope you're feeling better!

wow, sorry to hear things ended so badly for you, but I'm happy it happened at the end of the trip instead of the beginning, that would have been horrible! I loved your review though, I appreciate you taking the time to write it! If you have any pictures to share, we'd love to see them:)

Hope you're feeling better!

I am feeling so much better now. I am not sorry about any of it. It was just an array of experiences tied together called a vacation.

If I had included pics the review would still be on the drafting table. I am currently wading through 2 hours of video and 300 digital pics besides underwater shots as well. After I have compiled that I may post a few pics.

I am glad you folks enjoyed the review. I enjoyed writing it. It helped me relive some of the highlights. Hope your next cruises are at least as good as mine was.

:cool:Brad:cool:

If I had included pics the review would still be on the drafting table. I am currently wading through 2 hours of video and 300 digital pics besides underwater shots as well. After I have compiled that I may post a few pics.

I am glad you folks enjoyed the review. I enjoyed writing it. It helped me relive some of the highlights. Hope your next cruises are at least as good as mine was.

Do it...Do it...you know you wanna share those pictures with us :D;)

Love your review.... other posters are right you describe things in a way that makes you feel like you can picture in your mind what we are reading. I am so excited we leave on the Victory in Feb on Super Bowl Sunday and our countdown clock is at 55 days .... Yay!!:D Please keep coming with your review we are all waiting with baited breath.

We're on the cruise after you. So, as you disembark, give a big wave to the crowd waiting to board. I'll be looking for you! P.S. Take good care of the ship for me.

Great review, was wondering when you talked of getting up in the morning on your balcony- what side of the boat where you on? did you sail past islands and could you see them?

I was in cabin 9233 which was on the starboard side only a few cabins from the bridge. As I recall most of the mornings I was able to see island of some sort as we were entering the ports. I seem to recall we disembarked port vs starboard about evenly but there was nice views every morning nonetheless.

Thank you for the kind words. If you are going or considering a cruise in the near future I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. And as far as I am concerned this cruise was WELL worth the money.

Day 3 (Sunday) Getting on the ship

The drive there was about the same as the other taxi rides I had had so far. Through highways and side streets and finally Victory was in sight, in more ways than one… There was heavy traffic at the port but my taxi driver did not let that slow him down any. He only took out 2 young men and old lady and a baby carriage getting me to the front entry way. As I arrived and got my luggage out of the taxi the ship was still debarking its previous tenants. I did not notice one with a frown. But the place was swarming with people. Now I know I was early but I was so excited I figured I might as well wait there as somewhere else. And a lot of other folks apparently felt the same way.

Thanks for the great review - What time did you arrive at the port?

We are in room 9233 for our january cruise on the victory. How did you like the location. Was there alot of movement since it is close to the front of the ship? Any other likes or dislikes about the room or location? Thanks!

I loved it. I could not possibly have been any happier. I have never had a balcony before so I don't have anything to compare it against. Most of the mornings there were great views and I got some shots of some spectacular sunsets and sunrises.

The little bit of movement I think you could have felt anywhere. And the stewards were fantastic. On my deathbed I had to make sure they got extra gratuities and that is a tribute to THEIR job well done.

:cool: Brad :cool:

Thank you Jerseagal. That really is me. I don't have very many pics with me in them because after all I was the photographer. I was enjoying just sitting there after a swim and the torture of those rocks on the bottoms of my feet.

I did have a nice Christmas holiday. I hope you did as well. I am hoping to take a B2B2B with my sister next December, but finances does play a big part in whether that happens or not.

Thanks again. Hope your cruise was all you hoped as well.

Archived