Valparaiso to B.A. - Mosquitos?

MechTeach

We're leaving on the NCL Sun Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise shortly. Can anyone who has visited these ports comment about mosquitos/insects? Do I need to bring bug repellent? I'm guessing that it is cool enough in the more southern ports that insects aren't a real problem, but I don't want to be surprised!

We just returned from NCL Valparaiso to BA and had NO bugs (other than the one we caught on the ship)! It was a great trip and wear warm layered clothes for the south. Our temp range was from 80's to 40's during the day. It was a great trip and filled with fantastic scenery. Drink enough local wines and you'll be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise on Star Princess which was in Buenos Aires on Dec 19, 2009. BA is on the river, and over 100 miles inland, and there were lots of mosquitos. We still have bites on our legs from being out on the decks and our balcony in the early evening hours. Even after the sail away, we still had the pesky critters on the balcony the next day.

I heard other passengers talking about a notice on a tour bus in BA about Dengue Fever, but I did not see such on our bus.

• 5 weeks later...

If you plan to spend any time visiting parks in Buenos Aires (and there are some really nice ones) or visiting estancias, I would definitely take along some mosquito repellent. We didn't and they attacked us... curiously they didn't seem to bother the locals. We even captured one under a glass while we were having breakfast in the Marriott Plaza.

Reporting back from the trip, we were indeed mossie-free for most of the time. The two big exceptions were indeed B.A. itself (as both sharbin1 and dshillis have already pointed out), and Montevideo. The kids and I got some truly ferocious bites in the parks of both cities.

We went from BA to VAL last year March 29 on the Sun.

First evening leaving BA went out to our balcony after dinner, (waiting for dw to change for show) came back in after about 5 minutes notice on the bath room wall a small misquito killed it ,notice a couple more smash those went out to the room notice much more ,spent the next hour killing them , missed the show.

Archived