Rio at night...

Rusty

We will be on an overnight cruise in Rio. Can anyone suggest night time Rio tours and tour operators?

The best evening activity for someone overnighting in Rio would be to take in a couple of music clubs in the Lapa barrio. For a Portuguese language overview of the Lapa music scene, see www.lanalapa.com.br . I can personally recommend Luana Ferreira ( luana-ferreira@ig.com.br ) as a guide for this type of activity. She used to be a guide in the Ciudad do Samba complex and works with her aunt doing tours of Rio. Both are fluent in English. She is especially knowledgeable about Lapa music clubs.

Owl61. What´s the rush hour in Rio?. I am asking this because I have discovered that sunset is relatively soon. At about 19:00?. So I am not sure about the closing time, when the cariocas finish their labour day, dinner time, and if people usally go out for drink.

I just want to see Samba. I know it´s very touristical. What about a helicopter ride to see the Cristo Redentor at night?. I wonder if there´s any helicopter transfer from GIG, which could prearrange something special as flying around the Cristo before dropping be close to Ipanema.

Sounds it feasable?.

Owl61. What´s the rush hour in Rio?. I am asking this because I have discovered that sunset is relatively soon. At about 19:00?. So I am not sure about the closing time, when the cariocas finish their labour day, dinner time, and if people usally go out for drink.

I just want to see Samba. I know it´s very touristical. What about a helicopter ride to see the Cristo Redentor at night?. I wonder if there´s any helicopter transfer from GIG, which could prearrange something special as flying around the Cristo before dropping be close to Ipanema.

Sounds it feasable?.

In the summer (Dec - Mar) sunset is late. In Feb it stays light until almost 21:00. The rush hour starts at 16:00 ish and lasts until after 20:00. I do not drive here - it is unpleasant. The work day for most ends at 19:00. Earlier downtown in the center. There is not much post work bar activity in the center except on Fridays.

To see samba, go to a samba school rehearsal or go to a club in Lapa or go to Ciudad do Samba. Avoid Plataforma Uno.

You can take a helicopter tour from the heliopad in the lagoa or at Sugarloaf. I do not think there is a night time ride from the airport, but I suppose if you want to hire a helicopter with pilot you could - if money is no object.

In the summer (Dec - Mar) sunset is late. In Feb it stays light until almost 21:00. The rush hour starts at 16:00 ish and lasts until after 20:00. I do not drive here - it is unpleasant. The work day for most ends at 19:00. Earlier downtown in the center. There is not much post work bar activity in the center except on Fridays.

To see samba, go to a samba school rehearsal or go to a club in Lapa or go to Ciudad do Samba. Avoid Plataforma Uno.

You can take a helicopter tour from the heliopad in the lagoa or at Sugarloaf. I do not think there is a night time ride from the airport, but I suppose if you want to hire a helicopter with pilot you could - if money is no object.

Thanks a lot. I take a note of the recommendations about avoiding Plataforma Uno, and the alternative suggestions. So getting at GIG at 18:30 means traffic jam all the way long to town. It was what I had suspected. I wonder if from GIG there are other alternative routes, perhaps safer in order to avoid traffic congestions, and possible security risks.

I have been told about the helicopter rides, at about 120 euros, for a short ride, but I suppose these are in a shared basis and with other passengers. I have just discovered that they have also a departing point from the port when cruises are in town. Sounds a good option, going for a ride, a couple of hours before departure. If someone wants to avoid the train up to Corcovado, is there a possible way by private car?. Takes it longer?..

Sorry for all the questions.

You can up to Corcovado by private car , taxi or even on foot.

I had a lot of fun in October hiking through Paineiras forest (take a taxi to the entrance of the park where there is a marked path). It is very easy "hike" (on a paved path) through the forest with spectacular views. At the end of the path (about 5 km ), you will arrive at the Corcovado ticket area , where the taxis await the passengers . You can

continue on foot ( steep) or take the tram the rest of the way , which is what we did.

You can see Brazilian fauna and flora. We even saw some spider monkeys.

img}

Here is a good photo to see the path.

11m9ji8.jpg[/img]

Lots of waterfalls along the way , as well as some interesting rock formations.

Doing it this way may take a bit longer , but it was very enjoyable.

Keltic , I am not so informed about the alternate driving routes , as my husband always drives in Rio! Sorry!

Kim

Archived