Difference between Royal Caribbean and Carnival

JOHN 57

Sadly that, your two cents, two dollars and an additional 23 cents will now get you on the subway! :)

I've been away longer than I thought....last time I was there they had rasied it from .75 cents to a $1.25; thank you now I can accuratley let people know how much my opinion is worth!:rolleyes::D:eek::D

Andy

We were looking into possibly going to Hawaii in Sept......We are not big partiers and have read a lot about Carnival being more of a party atmosphere.

Here is the real question. Carnival has a very similar itinerary on the Spirit in Sept. Now, I am assuming that for a 12 day cruise the party crowd is less prevelent than on a short cruise.

Carnival seems to have a MUCH more affordable price. That is big for us right now.

One differance in the itinerary that I note is that RCCL seems to specificaly indicate the Mount Kilauea evening sail. Carnival Spirit does not list that but I know that we would be sailing between islands at night.

My main question would be for anyone who might have done this cruise before. Can you see the lava?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated at this point.

Thanks!

First, Carnival obtained a reputation as a party crowd years ago and that just isn't the case anymore. They got that reputation due to the 3 day weekend cruises which can have more college age spring break type cruises. You won't have any issues with a longer cruise I guarantee it. Especially a 12 day cruise. You will see all ages aboard and all ages will have activities that they will enjoy. I HIGHLY recommend Carnival Spirit. It is a terrific ship. I've not sailed Hawaii on the Spirit (I use NCLA) but I have sailed Spirit for the mexican riviera itinerary and the ship is one of the best. Great layout. As for lava viewing, I am pretty sure you will see it. Looking at the itinerary for Sept, looks like you would sail from Kona to Hilo on Weds night which is when you would see the lava. You don't get really close though and you would probably just see it in the distance.

While our first cruise was on Carnival (Jubilee 2003), we have mostly cruised RCCL. We absolutely love RCCL. Our kids love the Adventure Ocean, rock wall, mini golf, etc. We did not care at all for NCL freestyle (but that is also an individual preference). We are going next summer on the Dream with my extended family and quite frankly, I am concerned over the bad reviews. I have read bad reviews on the RCCL boards as well, but it (to me) seems the Dream reviews are worse. I am still trying to keep an open mind.

For our family, the Voyager class of ships are PERFECT for family groups and not having been on Freedom class or Oasis (yet), we are sure they are fantastic as well.

Like I said, we are going on the Dream next summer and I hope we are pleasantly surprised.

Just my opinion.

My own experiences give Carnival the edge, in amenities and cruise factors important to me. Keep in mind what's important to me might not be important to you.

Carnival has better cabins, better showers, better food, self-serve launderettes, better entertainment, and much quieter. RCCL has prettier public areas and pool areas. Gym areas are about the same. Service is about the same on both lines, but Carnival isn't as intrusive or obsequitous. RCCL has a distinct "busy" vibe. Some folks like that; the constant feeling that I "ought to be doing something" got on my nerves.

Having said all that, Jewel OTS is a front-runner for the next cruise. Go figure.

Hello, I have sailed on the Carnival Conquest twice, and was not disappointed, but I am wondering. What is the difference between Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Thank you, John

Found Carnival very similar to RC.Did think the desserts were tastier on Sensation.

Archived