Snorkeling???? Help leave next Sunday

hollon

I think either place would be fine. Eden Rock is on the main drag(if I'm not mistaken) so it might be more crowded. Cemetery Beach is off the beaten path, so it's quieter. We have never seen more than a dozen people there when we have been. Either place I would pack valuables in a waterproof pouch and keep them on me. Next month we will be going back to Cemetery Beach for the 4th time, it is one of my favorites!!

FYI (a second opinion) There are NO facilities (no snorkel gear rentals, no bathrooms, etc.) at Cemetery, but it is safe. Cemetery is at the far end of 7 mile Beach.

Eden Rock is ok and within walking distance from the tender docks. There are lockers available at Eden Rock.

There is the Wreck of the Cali not far from the docks and Cheeseburger Reef and then Turtle Reef up by the Turtle Farm and ... and...

Sunset House is about 1/3 of a mile past Eden

no crowds here

G-Pa can sit at My Bar and enjoy a libation while the gentlemen paddle around an area I've found good enuf to spend some 30 hours total diving bottom time on up to now.

http://sunsethouse.com/index.php

p.s. this question is answered {by me} about once a week . . .

search works . . .

Eden is closer - and therefore most stop there and therefore more crowded

beach snorkeling ... well beach equals sand and sand isn't good snorkeling. Eden and Sunset means Iron Shore and that means the reef runs right up to the land. SOOOOO, when you jump in the reef is RIGHT THERE and not 3 miles off shore as it is most any place on 7 Mile Beach

We've found the best shore snorkeling is at Eden Rock - never been to Cemetery. We have been to Sunset house and didn't find the reefs there as nice as Eden rock (which we stopped at on our way back to the ship).

If you go to Eden Rock I have two suggestions:

1. We prefer Eden Rock Dive Center - they have a web site you can find with google. They are about 3 minutes walk past the first place that has an "Eden Rock" sign which is really the Paradise restaurant and bar.

2. Whichever place you go you MUST get one of the people working there to identify the buoys that mark the Eden Rock and/or Devil's Grotto, reef and be clear where the reef starts and the different buoys that mark the end of the area which you should not swim past. The reef is about 100 yards out so it is a few minutes to swim to it but not bad at all. You will see fish before then and might think you are there, but believe me, when you get to the reef you will know it. It is fantastic out there.

Here is a link to a photo that shows the bouys you need to go to (look very carefully in the foreground of the RCL ship). If you click the photo you'll go to my photo gallery and can back track to phter photos of Eden Rock and snorkeling at Sunset House:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Constellation-March-2009-b2b/March-16th-2009-Sailing-All/7889855_RRT2s#511615495_Zzrqn-O-LB

BTW - we've never found Eden rock very crowded - especially out over the reef, even when lots of ships were in port.

Archived