Why shouldn't we do the ship dive trip?

cardbucfan

We are brand spanking new divers (today!) and are going on a cruise in April on the Legend and we want to dive. After all the research on these boards (thanks so much everybody) I know the reasons to book independently and who to book with on each island. My question is, what are the real negatives to going with the ships excursions. Our feeling is we will be so new (we might get in 2 more dives before April but I hate to be cold and it was frigid today!) that going independent might add one more layer of things to be concerned about and fret about. So please tell me why it would be bad for true novices (I so understand why if you are experienced the ship excursions would be bad). Thanks!

After I was first certified I took the ship's excursions for diving and felt that it took a little stress off of me worrying about getting back to the ship etc. There will be a wide range of divers on these trips so being new is not a big deal. They usually make the group stay together so you can just follow along and check out the sights. After you've been diving some more you may want some more independent diving but for starting out, it's OK and gets you some experience.

We are brand spanking new divers (today!) and are going on a cruise in April on the Legend and we want to dive. After all the research on these boards (thanks so much everybody) I know the reasons to book independently and who to book with on each island. My question is, what are the real negatives to going with the ships excursions. Our feeling is we will be so new (we might get in 2 more dives before April but I hate to be cold and it was frigid today!) that going independent might add one more layer of things to be concerned about and fret about. So please tell me why it would be bad for true novices (I so understand why if you are experienced the ship excursions would be bad). Thanks!

Main complaint is there are usually large groups of people diving together and you may be limited on your dive to what the least experienced person can do. And it's almost always a good bit more expensive, although there may be hidden costs on a private excursion (transportation, for example).

In a strange place, it's not necessarily a bad thing for a new diver to do. If you're concerned about having extra things to worry about, go with the ship's excursion. There are lots of good reviews here for some frequent cruise ports that may make you feel better about using a private op, but if you spend too much time worrying, you can't enjoy yourself. And after all, that's the point, right?

Have fun!

I also am a new diver and have similar concerns. We are doing a Southern Caribbean cruise in February. Ship dive excursions seem to offer two types of dives, one for those who are certified and another for those who wish to try it out. I hardly feel like I want to do all that pool stuff again, but neither do I wish to dive with all sorts of experienced divers.

I imagine being assigned a buddy who will be totally exasperated with me as I need to really take my time. My husband does not dive, but usually will go out with me and either snorkel or throwup depending on conditions.

I emailed a few of the operators on each island and have already received some excellent responses. Each operator seems respectful of my novice status and reassuring about making the ship on time. They have a plan to meet up with me and tell me how they will accomodate my husband.

Although I do plan to dive independently, we will use ship excursions to do other activities. There are pros and cons to each.

So please tell me why it would be bad for true novices (I so understand why if you are experienced the ship excursions would be bad). Thanks!
I think going with the ship's excursion can be OK for newbies, but I also think you are likely to get more personal service and a smaller group by going independent. Be up front with the DM when you get on the boat as to your experience level. You'll probably get a longer dive too.

Some dive operators do offer the option of hiring a private DM to guide you on the dive. Might not be a terrible idea for your first real open water dives.

I wrote this opinion a while ago. I think it still is valid.

We get this asked from time to time, so I thought I'd just give my opinion as to what I think are some reasons a person might want to use the ship's dive excursion or make their own arrangement, so here goes

The way shore excursions work is that the cruise line contracts with companies at each port of call to provide the shore excursions the sell on the ships. In most cases, you can make your own arrangements and cut out the cost the cruise line adds to the trip.

Pros of making your own arrangements, at least for diving:

• usually cost less
  • not limited on bottom time, dive your own profile
  • can choose a smaller boat which will be less crowded
  • can have a voice in decided the dive site
  • smaller operator, more personal service
  • better choice for more advanced divers
  • you can shore dive if you want, which is much less expensive and not dependent on someone else's schedule. Grand Cayman is especially good for this.

Cons:

• more work for you to make plans, get to the meeting place
  • ship won't wait if you are late, but being late is highly unlikely

Going with the ship's excursion

Pros:

• easy planning
  • gear is often included
  • good choice for the once a year cruise diver
  • you get to dive with other people from your ship
  • ship will wait if you are late ( this does matter to some people)
  • easier logistically at some ports, especially Belize, or if you arrive in port too late for the morning dive boats from private operators

Cons:

• Usually cost a bit more, sometimes a lot more
  • usually larger boats which can usually mean more people, but not always
  • usually predetermined dive sites
  • usually bottom times are predetermined, or everyone has to surface when the first person is low on air.
  • dives are often follow the leader type dives, which is especially annoying for advanced divers or photographers

I hope this will help others decide which to choose, as there is no one right answer for everyone, every time.

Weird, I replied to this hours ago and *Poof* the reply is gone! Anyway, thanks for all your replies. The answers were pretty much what I thought they would be but it's nice to have it confirmed. I think we'll stick with the ship excursions this time. Since we are so new and have very little equipment, we would have to rent all the gear and that makes the independent excursions more. It'll be one less thing to deal with and hopefully make the dives that much more enjoyable.

I also am a new diver and have similar concerns. We are doing a Southern Caribbean cruise in February. Ship dive excursions seem to offer two types of dives, one for those who are certified and another for those who wish to try it out. I hardly feel like I want to do all that pool stuff again, but neither do I wish to dive with all sorts of experienced divers.

I imagine being assigned a buddy who will be totally exasperated with me as I need to really take my time. My husband does not dive, but usually will go out with me and either snorkel or throwup depending on conditions.

I emailed a few of the operators on each island and have already received some excellent responses. Each operator seems respectful of my novice status and reassuring about making the ship on time. They have a plan to meet up with me and tell me how they will accomodate my husband.

Although I do plan to dive independently, we will use ship excursions to do other activities. There are pros and cons to each.

I really think that you have to realize that each group will have divers with a vast range of dive experience. Don't feel that you have to go back and do a beginners scuba just because you don't have a lot of experience. And certainly don't worry about getting a buddy that will be exasperated with you. You just can't worry about everything because you're new to this. You'll ruin your own dive experience. Just remember to tell the divemaster at the beginning of the dive about your dive experience level and let him/her worry about the rest. If your experience is vastly different than everybody else, they may team you up with one of the dive masters. But everybody remembers when they were new to diving and I'll tell you, in general, the diving community is made of up people who are very helpful and want to ensure that everybody has a fun, safe, dive. So don't worry. Just let yourself enjoy the experience :).

I really think that you have to realize that each group will have divers with a vast range of dive experience. Don't feel that you have to go back and do a beginners scuba just because you don't have a lot of experience. And certainly don't worry about getting a buddy that will be exasperated with you. You just can't worry about everything because you're new to this. You'll ruin your own dive experience. Just remember to tell the divemaster at the beginning of the dive about your dive experience level and let him/her worry about the rest. If your experience is vastly different than everybody else, they may team you up with one of the dive masters. But everybody remembers when they were new to diving and I'll tell you, in general, the diving community is made of up people who are very helpful and want to ensure that everybody has a fun, safe, dive. So don't worry. Just let yourself enjoy the experience :).

Having been in your shoes... I think the above quote hit the nail on the head!!

I say go with the ship the first time..we have the last 4 dives and had a blast. Didn't have to worry about the things discussed above in pros and cons. Just stepped off the ship, got with our group and headed out to the dive boat.

Then some day down the road..plan your own and you will find that has its own rewards.

Have a great trip and awesome dive.

Lari

Did a Southerna Carribean cruise in November and did independent dives in St Lucia and Tortorla - wish I would have done more. I had excellent dives in both areas (2 dives each time) and was back at the ship with time to spare - although I did worry. I was on Holland America and they did not offer any dives through the ship, if they did I probably would have taken those just becasue of the worry factor. However, now that I have done the independent dives that is what I'll do in the future. Have fun.

Did a Southerna Carribean cruise in November and did independent dives in St Lucia and Tortorla - wish I would have done more. I had excellent dives in both areas (2 dives each time) and was back at the ship with time to spare - although I did worry. I was on Holland America and they did not offer any dives through the ship, if they did I probably would have taken those just becasue of the worry factor. However, now that I have done the independent dives that is what I'll do in the future. Have fun.

Hi rjcoon,

I am hoping to dive in Tortola and Barbados. (doing the zipline in St. Lucia) So far have heard back from three operators in Tortola and 2 out of 3 I emailed in Barbados. Who did you dive with?

In my travels. I have found it is better to organize your own trips. I always make sure the dive operation takes 8 or less max. I have also found if you let an independent operator know your worries or lack of confidence in your skills (in advance). They will send an extra DM along. I have seen this a few times. And they are more understanding when you politly tell them, you set up your own gear, thanks for the offer.

Years ago I did do one cruise dive. Ended up 15-18 of us, we hit the water as a herd then 22 minutes later (40 foot max dive) we all had to come back up because 1 person suck their tank down that fast. Same reason I book land tours myself and not with the ship. Had a private driver with just my wife and I once did same tour that 4 buses from the cruise line did. Just in a different order to avoid them. And paid $20 less a person.

I was at a dive resort once and we were put on a boat of 18. They broke us into 3 groups of 6 (by skill level) and sent 1 DM with each groups. We never saw another group while underwater, with 18 down.

Used to book indep. now always do ships dive. Unless you are there for a week the indeps. will take you to the same places the ship will and you will probably have to pay cab fare.

Plus you will meet other pax. that share your interests.

BTW: always book "with eq." it's a little cheaper and no dive shop i've been with has ever cared.

O.K., one more question for you all. DH and DS 13 are going the week before I go with DS 15 (different spring breaks). DH is concerned about drift diving in Cozumel since that will be a brand new experience for us and is worried about doing that. Our instructor says it shouldn't be a problem (even for me and I have to work a little to get my left ear to equalize-I'm practicing!) but DH is still worried. What do you all think? This forum is helping us tremendously-thanks!

(We are going to try to get a dive trip in in February down to the Keys-still really cold for me, but at least it will be some practice and we can drive there.)

Drift diving in Cozumel is pretty easy. You dive as a group and it isn't hard to stay together. You don't have to navigate back to the boat because the boat follows your bubbles and is there to pick you up when you surface. Just gotta relax and go with the flow.

Archived