what time can we get off of the Indepenence

I agree with the "pushing it". We were scheduled to disembark at 8:15.

We arrived in the Independence of the Seas December 6. From past experience, I booked the Hilton Homewood at Dania and then the 9:20 train the next day.

It took a while to get off: mostly US customs. We were held in the Alhambra Room quite a while, with people crowding the aisleways and slowing things down when our group was called to disembark.

Then we were held in a large room on the pier for another hour: we were told that it would be more pleasant waiting in this room than in line for customs. I was able to get a few more chapters of Norman Lewis read.

About 9:30 we were released to find our luggage and line up again for customs. US citizen customs took about 20 minutes for our colored luggage tag group. Foreign nationals were in an intermidable line.

We took one of the wonderful Ft. Lauderdale taxis (this one really was ok, but primitive by European standards) to Ft. Lauderdale Amtrak station and checked our bags, arriving about 10:30. There were plenty of taxis at the ship terminal, but with the added "convenience" (cost)of a "taxi starter". I let him load our heavy bags!

So we could have taken the 12:30 train, but not the 9:20 train north.

We took the Tri-Rail train to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport station, within walking distance of several hotels, and chilled!

So I would say if you can do self-disembark, you may make it.

David: back in Ohio

Archived