Cozumel Mexican cuisine workshop question

mseldga

I have a quick question about this tour which is being offered on my Celebrity Century sailing in December, but is likely offered on other lines too. It indicates that it is a "moderate" activity level and is not recommended for pregnant women. My sister will be about 4 months pregnant at that time and is worried about booking this tour now. It says you have to stand for 90 minutes while cooking and then you have a "beach break". We can't decide what is so strenuous about that! Obviously, she wouldn't partake of the wine tasting that goes along with the cooking demonstration.

Has anyone done this excursion who can advise us on whether this tour is really strenuous or something a pregnant woman might want to avoid? I'm assuming it's just a case of extending the warning further than necessary to protect the cruise line, but wanted to make sure we weren't missing something. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

I have a quick question about this tour which is being offered on my Celebrity Century sailing in December, but is likely offered on other lines too. It indicates that it is a "moderate" activity level and is not recommended for pregnant women. My sister will be about 4 months pregnant at that time and is worried about booking this tour now. It says you have to stand for 90 minutes while cooking and then you have a "beach break". We can't decide what is so strenuous about that! Obviously, she wouldn't partake of the wine tasting that goes along with the cooking demonstration.

Has anyone done this excursion who can advise us on whether this tour is really strenuous or something a pregnant woman might want to avoid? I'm assuming it's just a case of extending the warning further than necessary to protect the cruise line, but wanted to make sure we weren't missing something. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

Here is a previous thread about the excursion. This is an easy class. I think they make sure people know that you stand up for the class. It is a participation class, but really easy. All the chopping and cutting and clean-up is done for you. You can have whatever you want to drink including juices, water, and soda. As long as your sister can stand and cook a dinner at home she should be able to do this. The beach break is at the white sandy beach adjacent to the building you'll be cooking and eating in. Lots of covered space with washrooms and lockers.

It was a fun excursion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1065223&highlight=cooking

DSC01158.jpg.9dc7650e060d01e3af84a6e5b95f0809.jpg

DSC01157.jpg.fee1e92109248024caa7adf95b03ce4d.jpg

Is this the one at Playa Mia Beach? Loved it!

Also to consider: the cooking class is on the 2nd floor of a building & the meal part is served on the 3rd floor- so 2 sets of stairs involved. Bits of walking to get to the restroom, beach, food parts. And yes, you are standing at a cooking station for about 60-90 minutes?

There is a van/cab ride from the pier to the beach. The beach also has several shops, and some water activities. Oh, and some nice birds.

Only your sister will know what is best for her. We were impressed with their food safety practices, which they explained to us during the process. The main dish is typically fish, and you can substitute chicken. The cooking stations are for 4 people, so if it is the two of you, you will be paired up with 2 others at your station.

I personally did not find it strenuous, but I can't offer a comparison or opinion on the 'while pregnant' part. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
This is my favorite all time excursion. I've done it three times. :D Louis is a blast. You'd never guess it when you first see him since he looks so young. I'm not sure it would be the same without him. Gina

Gina, thanks for posting that this was your favorite all time excursion. It meant so much that DH booked it for me knowing that I live for food and cooking.

Quick question, since you took this class 3 times, do you remember what you cooked each time, if so, what were the dishes and was it a different menu or the same as what was posted in the other great posts from Lisa?

• 1 month later...
The tour on the RCCL site says the weight limit is 225#. Does anyone know why?

Interesting! I saw some folks there who were bigger than that. It is a long class to be standing on your feet the entire time. There were a couple of plastic chairs stacked up in a corner but nobody sat down.

Would you recommend this excursion and why....sounds like lots of fun..just wonding about the weight limit.

I have no idea about the weight limit. We booked through Carnival and there was no weight limit on the Carnival site. I can guarantee one person in our group was almost 500lbs and had no problem with the class.

I posted a link to other discussions about this class. Check out the other posts in the link for reasons people liked the excursion.

Would you recommend this excursion and why....sounds like lots of fun..just wonding about the weight limit.

I just posted a few photos about this great excursion. You can check them out if you go to my second to last post. You will see that the weight limit was not implemented.

Archived