Qualifying as PADI open water diver whilst cruising

beckyjc

Hi,

My partner and I have completed a couple of "discover scuba" sessions in the past, and are both reasonably confident in the water (to the point that last time we felt really held back by the rest of the group).

We are cruising on Sea Princess in the Caribbean on 23 Jan, and were wondering if it would be possible to complete the pool/theory parts of the PADI certification here before we go (open water referral), and then do the open water dives at a dive school in the Caribbean - has anyone done this before? How did it work out?

Any recommendations for dive schools that might be able to accomodate our open water dives in Grenada / Bonaire / Aruba / Samana / Tortola / St Marten / Dominica would be greatly appreciated - we have lots of options but need a plan quickly if we're going to get the theory/pool bit done before our holiday!

Thanks,

Becky

I would just do the training before leaving.

While referrals are available, you are at the mercy of the local instructors and they can charge you whatever they want to babysit you on your cert dives. On the one occasion that I have seen someone do that, the couple paid $200 each to have an instructor along on their dives in EACH port. So that $275 certification for everyone else cost each of them over $1000.

Not to mention that at either of those ports, as unlikely as it may be, there may not be an instructor willing or available to work with you.

Good luck.

It's exactly what I did. I took a class and pool scuba course in Toronto and then arranged to do open water certification dives - 2 in Barbados and 2 in St. Thomas. Both dive shops were very professional and made sure I was able to complete all the necessary steps necessary for safe diving. Not cheap but certainly more fun than doing it in the cold waters of Canada. I got a temporary certificate and my PADI official one arrived at my home 10 days later. The dive shops in the Caribbean do these referrals on a regular basis. From the ports you list, I would probably choose Bonaire (a must) and Aruba. I've snorkeled in these ports and the water is beautiful, especially in Bonaire. If you can afford it, definitely do it. You will not only get certified but you will also enjoy four dives that last between 30 and 40 minutes. I am alredy scouting out cruises to ports where I can dive next year.

When I did mine back in 06, Princess had an instructor on the boat and we did a review first in the pool prior to the OW dives. We did ours at Grand Cayman and day 2 was supposed to be Cozumel, but weather intervened and I had to finish at home. But having a single instructor for both pieces has its advantages as they can move the individual drills around as needed. I don't think its offered anymore though, but it might be worth a call to princess. I can't find anything anymore about the New Waves Program.

I agree with Bonaire and Aruba from the islands listed. On Bonaire, I would check out Divi Flamingo. on the south side of town within walking distance of the ship, and the instructors are very good. That would leave Dominica as a final option to dive once you get certified or as a backup if something doesn't get finished at the first two!

Archived