Cemetery Beach: how far out and deep is reef?

sstich79

After reading the snorkeling discussions here, it looks like my group will be going to Cemetery Beach. I'm just wondering how far out the actual reef is, and how deep the water gets on the swim out to it. Can average swimmers get out there, or do you need to be a pretty strong one? Thanks!

We did it and we are average swimmers. We did take some small rafts from the dollar store that we used to rest on from time to time. The water was a little rough the day we were there and we did not have snorkel vests or fins. We were very glad we had the rafts.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

The first reef is about 100 yards out, but it is dead and all there is to see are some fish. The second reef, which I've heard is still alive, is probably about 100 yards past the first one.

DH and I are strong swimmers (both divers and DH was a water safety instructor), but we didn't make it past the first reef. The water is not very deep, but it was over my head (I'm 5'5"). If you are not a strong swimmer, I'd suggest bringing something to float on (a small raft or snorkel vest) to get out to the reef.

As you exit the path from the street and enter the sand, head left about 75 yards. There is a narrow "dead" reef that reaches just short of the waterline there. If the waves are calm you can see it while you're standing at the waters edge. It meanders offshore nearly out to the "first" dead reef mentioned by others. This inshore "dead" reef has 1000's of broken edges, nooks, crannies, etc that are teaming with colorful marine life, along with a few small patches of living coral.

You can spend an hour exploring and never get more than 30 yards from shore. IMO, the offshore reef is still alive because it is tougher to access.

Archived