iPhone data v. HAL internet

aslaw

We are on the January 4 Noordam sailing and are trying to decide whether to buy the ATT wireless 20 mb data plan for $25.99 (or 50 mb for $59.99) or buy internet service from HAL. On a cruise, we use internet to keep in touch with family. Has anyone used their iPhone instead of ship's internet?

We've read the iPhone postings and the ATT wireless FAQs about international roaming and are aware that we have to turn off the automatic data download.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

We are on the January 4 Noordam sailing and are trying to decide whether to buy the ATT wireless 20 mb data plan for $25.99 (or 50 mb for $59.99) or buy internet service from HAL. On a cruise, we use internet to keep in touch with family. Has anyone used their iPhone instead of ship's internet?

We've read the iPhone postings and the ATT wireless FAQs about international roaming and are aware that we have to turn off the automatic data download.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

If you are on board the ship, the only way to the internet is through the satellite -- HAL"S connections -- you will still have to pay the Hal charge. Of course in ports you can use AT&T.

I have used my iPhone connected to the ship's wireless internet for email. I didn't do your math, but when I buy a 250 minute package it comes out to about 40 cents per minute for service. I tried to use Skype with it but HAL has it blocked.

Gary

Archived