Snorkel Mask With Camera

BroncosFan2010

My husband will be getting a snorkel mask with a 5 mega pixel camera/video camera for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if they have pictures taken with that camera that they could post.

I have included the link to the mask that I am talking about here: http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Explorer-Underwater-Digital-Camera/dp/B0017JQCKK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1261330499&sr=8-4

Thanks

I have one, it sucks in picture mode. (Besides the whole system died in less than 6 month) (Yellow frame, something like liquid image)

I took it to a pool and practiced with it before hand and found you had to be very still or you got blury pictures. So what I found works better is using video mode in short bursts, then using video editing software to make still shots out of the video. Also the crosshairs in the mask for lining up a picture are only good for looking straight down. If you look up or level then they are to low and you have to look to the top of the vertical line or you will cut the target off. I had a hard time on land getting it to take a non-blury picture. Once you press the botton there is a 1-3 second delay.

Since I also scuba dive I just ended up getting a nice sealife underwater camera system. Land camera with a housing that can go to 200 feet, if you get the deluxe package it comes with an external flash also.

I have one, it sucks in picture mode. (Besides the whole system died in less than 6 month) (Yellow frame, something like liquid image)

I took it to a pool and practiced with it before hand and found you had to be very still or you got blury pictures. So what I found works better is using video mode in short bursts, then using video editing software to make still shots out of the video. Also the crosshairs in the mask for lining up a picture are only good for looking straight down. If you look up or level then they are to low and you have to look to the top of the vertical line or you will cut the target off. I had a hard time on land getting it to take a non-blury picture. Once you press the botton there is a 1-3 second delay.

Since I also scuba dive I just ended up getting a nice sealife underwater camera system. Land camera with a housing that can go to 200 feet, if you get the deluxe package it comes with an external flash also.

Thanks for the reviews.

mokaheena.

Did you look at the posted thread? A person who bought the Liquid Image Mask came back and gave her thoughts complete with pictures. Her comments and pix are on the last page or 2 of the thread.

jcm didn't like it but it seems they may not have had the same one which could make a difference. Also, reviews can vary greatly as far as one person liking something and another not. Amazon usually has several reviews for things they are selling, did you read any of those?

I participated in a pre-order, it was $240 instead of $300. It does 1080p and 720p. I bought the head strap for $15 free shipping from B&H. I also bought a 16GB Sandisk Extreme SD card for $40 from newegg.

That seems to be the drawback of the snorkel mask camera. It will only take a maximum of 2GB Micro SD. I will need about 6 cards for as much snorkeling as I do!

Someone had a camera snorkel mask on our dive in St. Thomas. The guy struggled the whole dive, the mask kept flooding and fogged up badly. I don't think he had a handle on how to use it that well either. He kept messing with it, not paying attention to diving and kept surfacing throughout the whole dive. It was kind of a drag for everyone else in the group, the instructor had to keep stopping to help him. I'm not sure he got any photos or video from it and he was ready to throw it away after the dive.

Someone had a camera snorkel mask on our dive in St. Thomas. The guy struggled the whole dive, the mask kept flooding and fogged up badly. I don't think he had a handle on how to use it that well either. He kept messing with it, not paying attention to diving and kept surfacing throughout the whole dive. It was kind of a drag for everyone else in the group, the instructor had to keep stopping to help him. I'm not sure he got any photos or video from it and he was ready to throw it away after the dive.

Hoping that does not happen here. Plan on using the mask several times in the pool before snorkeling with it.

My husband will be getting a snorkel mask with a 5 mega pixel camera/video camera for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if they have pictures taken with that camera that they could post.

I have included the link to the mask that I am talking about here: http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Explorer-Underwater-Digital-Camera/dp/B0017JQCKK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1261330499&sr=8-4

Thanks

This mask seems convenient for snorkeling, but IMO that's ALL you can use it for. Why not get a nice waterproof digital camera that you can take snorkeling but also use on the beach, in the rain and on other excursions without looking silly? Also, there are a lot of links to great reviews in the photo section of the site with this as well as other waterproof digital cameras and sample photos.

Archived