Soda on NCL

barryn

Hi,

It seems obvious from this thread, but I just want to confirm that it is OK to bring your own soft drinks on board.

So each of our party could put a 12 pack of Cokes in our luggage and it is OK?

Thanks,

Don

No problem whatsoever. However, do NOT call NCL with this question. Their reps are trained to tell callers that soda and bottled water are not allowed to be brought aboard. That is their official policy but one that has never been enforced in practice.

I called NCL about bringing soda onboard before I read this post. Rep said the policy changed in 2008 and it is NOT allowed. I did order a bar set up but would like to bring coke. So they dont bust chops if you bring some in your checked luggage? Anyone travel on NCL and bring soda onboard since the new policy was implemented? thank you

I called NCL about bringing soda onboard before I read this post. Rep said the policy changed in 2008 and it is NOT allowed. I did order a bar set up but would like to bring coke. So they dont bust chops if you bring some in your checked luggage? Anyone travel on NCL and bring soda onboard since the new policy was implemented? thank you

Absolutely not a problem. No busting of chops will occur.

Thank you John. Do you suggest in carry on or checked?

I always go with carry-on. That way, there's no chance of being called to the naughty room since they'll be able to see that it's only soda (if they bother to spot check the bag at all). If it's in a checked bag, cans might be construed to be beer and bottles could be beer/hard liquor.

For what it's worth, the ONLY time I've ever gotten a whiff of attitude from a crewmember/bartended was when I had the soda card. It wasn't too bad, but bartenders all over the ship pretty much gave the impression the soda card made life difficult for them. I didn't get the soda card on my next NCL cruise, and the difference was noticable. It was much better, for me at least, to actually buy a soda when I wanted one rather than subsist on those dinky little glasses you got on the card. YMMV.

When I was on RC and Carnival the Soda Card also included juice. Does the NCL also do so?

I wonder if the rules very from ship to ship. When we were on Explorer of the Seas this past March, juice wasn't included with the Soda card. You could get juice at breakfast time even without the card, but that was it.

For what it's worth, the ONLY time I've ever gotten a whiff of attitude from a crewmember/bartended was when I had the soda card. It wasn't too bad, but bartenders all over the ship pretty much gave the impression the soda card made life difficult for them. I didn't get the soda card on my next NCL cruise, and the difference was noticable. It was much better, for me at least, to actually buy a soda when I wanted one rather than subsist on those dinky little glasses you got on the card. YMMV.

I haven't sailed NCL yet, but on Princess we felt like second class citizens a couple of times with our soda cards. We didn't have any problems on RCCL with the soda cards. It may even be different ship to ship depending on the crew and the leadership.

If I wanted a drink that would last a little longer, I would bring along my souvenir cup since it held a little more than the bar cups. On Royal and Princess the smallest glasses (actually plastic cups) were by the pool. Those at the indoor bars and at dinner were a better size.

2 questions on this one.

first one. can you bring any kind of canned or bottled non alcoholic drinks on at any of the ports?

second.. the ncl ships u guys have been on do they use fountain or can?

#1 - yes. No problem whatsoever taking aboard any non-alcoholic drinks while in port.

#2 - both are available. You're supposed to always receive fountains drinks with the soda card but occasionally they will pour it from a can if a bar is not nearby. Cans of soda are typically what are sold on a pay-as-you-go basis.

Archived