Buying water, soda in Galveston

Olive2Read

Hi, all. This is my very first post, but I've been lurking for several months. I've found lots of great information for our very first cruise on 1/17 on RCCL VOS out of Galveston.

I have one question that I haven't seen answered: We are flying into International the day before and have a one night pre-stay booked at the Hotel Galvez, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I might be able to purchase water and/or soda either very close to port or the hotel? Or, is there someplace like Staples nearby that I could order from and have it delivered to the hotel prior to our arrival?

I appreciate any help or suggestions regarding this.

Well I'm on sailing on the Conquest on Jan 17th too and have read that there are several stores in the area--I'm staying at the Tremont House------which in near the Strand area-- I'm sure if you call the hotel that they would be able to tell you whats close by--and if your looking for a Staples I'm sure you can try their website and see if there is one close by- I have some friends that live in Texas and their are planning on coming down to see me--hopefully they will take me to a store since I would like to get some diet soda --along with some wine too---

Cheers

April

There is no Staples on the Island; only Office Depot. Major grocery stores are a short drive away. Arlans (small and not so good, but has provisions) is on Market at UTMB. Taxi shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Kroger is on Seawall at 57th and Randalls on 61st.

FYI: No liquor sold on Sunday, beer and wine after 12 noon.

There is a Walgrens right on the main drag (the hwy you come into town on) almost straight across from the port, maybe 1 mile Id guess, but Im a walker.. I know because I needed some cold medication in between my B2B on Conquest. I walked, long hot walk, but doable, but probably not with a bunch of soda and water.

Nothing cheap right by the port, because that is the area for tourists.

There should be some convenience stores near; almost on every corner. You shouldn't have a problem picking up water and soda. And as Galveston Cruiser said no liquor sold on Sunday! So if you are planning on picking any up do so by 9:00 pm Saturday. Liquor is sold in liquor stores only and close at 9.

There is a Walgrens right on the main drag (the hwy you come into town on) almost straight across from the port, maybe 1 mile Id guess

It is a CVS drugstore at 25th and Broadway -11 long blocks from the port. Walgreens are located at 61st & Stewart Rd. and Seawall Blvd & 3rd. Too far to walk from the port. I would recommend CVS over any of "convenience" stores.

It is a CVS drugstore at 25th and Broadway -11 long blocks from the port. Walgreens are located at 61st & Stewart Rd. and Seawall Blvd & 3rd. Too far to walk from the port. I would recommend CVS over any of "convenience" stores.

lol you are right, it was a CVS and yes I walked, so I know how far it is exactly!!!! hahahahahahah

I see over by quality inn and suites beachfront where I will be staying in January, there is a walmart and a kroger, some reviewers posted.

When you are coming from the airport to the hotel ask your driver to stop at a store and let you run in and purchase your water, sodas etc. Just tip him a little extra. Then if you take a shuttle or taxi from the hotel to the ship you will already have them. We always put some duct tape around them and a luggage tag on them and leave them with our other luggage with the porter at the pier. Just tip him like they were another bag.:p

• 2 weeks later...
There is no Staples on the Island; only Office Depot. Major grocery stores are a short drive away. Arlans (small and not so good, but has provisions) is on Market at UTMB. Taxi shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Kroger is on Seawall at 57th and Randalls on 61st.

FYI: No liquor sold on Sunday, beer and wine after 12 noon.

Just so that I fully understand. I can get beer and/or wine after 12 pm on Sunday? Just asking because we are going to have a pizza party for our group on Sunday before we sail on Monday...gotta have some beer to go with pizza!

When you are coming from the airport to the hotel ask your driver to stop at a store and let you run in and purchase your water, sodas etc. Just tip him a little extra. Then if you take a shuttle or taxi from the hotel to the ship you will already have them. We always put some duct tape around them and a luggage tag on them and leave them with our other luggage with the porter at the pier. Just tip him like they were another bag.:p

I would put it into a bag with a handle. Many porters will flat out refuse to take it like that .... and then what will you do?? Many have posted they had to find space and carry it on.

Galveston has been sticklers lately, about coolers and size of luggage that other ports take ... I wouldnt chance slapping a luggage tag on a case of soda.

Just so that I fully understand. I can get beer and/or wine after 12 pm on Sunday? Just asking because we are going to have a pizza party for our group on Sunday before we sail on Monday...gotta have some beer to go with pizza!

Yes, you can get beer and wine after noon on Sundays!!:)

Archived