Cheap beach day in St. Thomas?

Triptakers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Morningstar beach at the Frenchman's Reef Marriot fits the bill. It is a very cheap cab fare from the boat that's 5-10 minutes away and not very crowded at all. Last time I was there it cost $12 for two people for all day to have a chair, Umbrella and wait service. Very clean, very quiet right in the middle of where you want to be. If you've already seen Mountaintop and Magens bay, this is a good choice.

Hi Killerbeez,

I've been to St. Thomas a number of times and am looking for what you are describing. I was leaning towards Emerald/Lindberg Beach, but now you've got me thinking. Can you tell me a little more about Frenchmans Reef and Morningstar Beach.

1. Did the cab just drop you off at the Marriott?

2. Did the hotel have a rental area set up on the beach where you can get the chair & umbrella? I've checked their web site and I don't see anything.

3. A while back I saw a few people writing that the beach was rocky and reminded them of a "New Jersey" beach. Can you comment on this?

4. I'd like a beach that's clean, soft sand, and has a little wave action. Would I be happy here?

Thanks!

Hello Geri,

The cab will drop you off at the parking area for the beach/resort. There are steps that lead right to the beach so you don't have to walk through the lobby or resort area to get to the beach.

There is a watersports booth on the beach. They rent different things.

The beach is a little rocky & there is somewhat of a current so you always feel the little rocks rolling over your feet to some degree. The shores sand is nice and soft, its once you are in the water that there are pebbles.

Not much wave action there or at Emerald.

--Islander

Hello Geri,

The cab will drop you off at the parking area for the beach/resort. There are steps that lead right to the beach so you don't have to walk through the lobby or resort area to get to the beach.

There is a watersports booth on the beach. They rent different things.

The beach is a little rocky & there is somewhat of a current so you always feel the little rocks rolling over your feet to some degree. The shores sand is nice and soft, its once you are in the water that there are pebbles.

Not much wave action there or at Emerald.

--Islander

Geri,

Everything that this poster says is correct. The beach does have some pebbles/coral/shells once you are in the water. I learned a long time ago to bring some water shoes/aqua socks with me when I travel. Saves you from the possibility of stepping on something a cutting your fee and makes me less squeamish when going into rough surf where you can't see the bottom.

I'll be going back to St. Thomas in March and will make my journey to this beach once again.

Archived