Has Anyone Used ALDive W.A.T.E.R. Sports, Inc. in Dominica?

SANDPEBBLES

My husband and I are sailing on the NCL Pearl and signed up for the Champagne Snorkel trip with NCL. Originally, this included travel by boat. We've received word that the boat is no longer part of the excursion, and we'll be entering the Champagne snorkel spot from the shore.

We love boating and are disappointed that the boat has been eliminated from the Champagne Snorkel for NCL.

I came across ALDive W.A.T.E.R. Sports, Inc. in Dominica, and they responded to me that they offer all inclusive snorkel tours.

Has anyone used them? Any experiences to share? Thanks so much.

You can't go wrong with ALDive. I booked a (non shore excursion) two tank dive with them via internet correspondence before we sailed. Samantha met me at the pier and drove me to the dive shop. Beautiful location and great people. I was the only one there, so the dive master and a helper/boat driver took me out solo. What a nice change from the 20 divers to a boat one typically gets with a shore excursion. We first dove a wreck and then Champagne Reef. It was the best couple of dives I've been on in years. Lots of fish, lobster, morays, etc. Even saw several sea horses and got to witness a couple of them getting frisky.:eek:

Write back if you have any questions. You'll have a great time!

I put down our deposit today with Samantha. We are going to snorkel at Champagne Reef and one other site.

It's wonderful to hear another great report. Thanks so much. Our cruise leaves Miami on February 2. Can't wait!

There will be four of us on this snorkel trip. Could you tell me anything about their boats? I know we'll be in a "small, open boat." Any details you could provide?

The boat I went out on was in fact small (18'-20' ?) and definitely open. There was however a small area in the bow to put things that you didn't want getting wet. They had a cooler on board with iced down bottled water. Take plenty of sun screen-you'll need it, and something to cover with if you are really sesitive to ol' Mr. Sun. You'll love champaigne reef. I had never dove a volcanic area before. It's pretty wild. Don't forget a camera....like I did. Doh!:eek:

sandpebbles after our snorkel trip which was excellent, I agree with dvrdude champagne is an awesome site, Aldive booked a land excursion for us we went to Trafalgar falls and then emerald pool, we got to swim in the emerald pool and then the guide.... gosh he had a odd name cant remember it now but he was really nice, took us back to our ship.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking time to describe the boat, DVRdude, and tell us about the land tour, Scubagirl2.

When NCL dropped the boat from their Champagne Snorkel excursion, we had to scramble to get a new plan. I came across ALDive and really needed a quick thumbs up or thumbs down.

Thanks heavens for two "thumbs up," and details of your experiences.

Our little group wants to stay on the water, Scubagirl2. Samantha asked us if we wanted a land tour as well. But, two of us have visited everything in Dominica before and the other two are content to snorkel and view the island from the sea.

I am packing lots of sunblock and we're confining our tour to morning hours. It's so nice to be able to have a small group, and so much control over time and places. Add to that the MORE than reasonable price. Amazing!

We leave Miami on February 2. It won't be long now.

Sandpebbles,

I hope you all have a great time. I'm sure you will. I must admit I'm jealous. I was just there in December but am already missing it. I've been on many caribbean islands, and lived on one for a few years, but have never come accross nicer people than I met on Dominica.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who loves to dive and/or snorkel, I highly recommend ALDive & W.A.T.E.R. Sports, Inc.

We booked a Champagne Snorkel tour by boat with ALDive and had an amazing time.

With only six of us on the tour, our guide was able to give us tons of individual attention. He stayed in the water with us and spent four hours helping us explore the entire site. Of course, the most amazing part was snorkeling in the warm, volcanic bubbles.

In order to avoid confusion, I should point out that one does not need a boat to snorkel Champagne. Entry from the shore is possible.

We, however, wanted to snorkel by boat and had a wonderful time. The price was $30 per person. This included taxes, marine fees, gear, and spring water. We had a boat captain and certified Dive Master. An oxygen kit and medical/safety kit were also on board.

Anyone interested in contacting ALDive may do so through their website:

http://www.aldive.com

Samantha is extremely helpful and responded promptly to all my e-mails and questions.

Enjoy beautiful Dominica!

47b7dc33b3127cce81d8026b0e2000000016100RcMWjZixYwDominica from our ALDive boat

On our recent visit we used AL Dive on Feb. 5th for a morning of snorkelling at Champagne Reef. Samantha & her staff were very friendly and professional.

Samantha was waiting for us at the pier and we were pleased with our driver Weldon who took us over to their diveshop to catch our boat.

Those who needed equipment were taken care of and everyone had to sign a release, as is typical.

4 of us had booked together and two gentlemen were randomly paired up with us.

The ride to the reef doesn't take long in their 18' skiff. However, in rougher currents it could be quite a ride. The ride home was leisurely and more like coasting - very relaxing after the nice snorkel.

The divemaster is also available for scuba besides snorkelling. Our guide spotted and told us about many types of fish & coral and the boat pilot maneuvered in closer to us so we wouldn't have to swim back so far. The guide always had a red safety sausage in case anyone was tired. As well, there are noodles available. Yellow safety vests are required.

My only problem was getting back in the boat as the ladder only has 2 rungs, making for a huge hoist up. I didn't have the physical strength to do it effectively but the boat pilot did help me up. Getting into the water is done via diver backroll or a short jump down into the water.

The reef is just as healthy as I remember it from years ago. No visible coral bleaching. Healthy formations & prolific fish life. A small turtle was spotted after we were back in the boat.

They've just completed a 500' boardwalk for those wishing to make a shore entry. Years ago you really couldn't enter from shore.

When we returned to the dive shop, Weldon was right there waiting and was nice enough to stop by a local deli so we could buy some local beer.

All in all a very nice excursion!:D

• 2 years later...

My Wife and I did a two tank dive with AL Dive on December 5th 2009. We were on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. We booked through there Web sight. I have been Diving for about 12 years and I am a Search Recovery diver with the fire dept I belong too. I can not say enough about these guys. Samantha and her husband Billy are some of the nicest people I have met. Samantha picked us up right off the dock and we took a 10 min drive to their shop. Once there We met Billy and he gave us the run down on our two dives. We dove at scotts head and chapagne reef. Our first dive at Scotts Head was a 70 foot wall dive which was wonderful. Billy was our guid for this dive. After off gassing we did our second dive. This time we dove at Chapagne reef and Billy's assistant Kieran was our guid this time. This dive was also wonderful. If you are going to Dominica and are looking for some diving,, YOU MUST HOOK UP WITH THESE GUYS. Keep up the good work Samantha, Billy, and Kieran.

Archived