My Solo Cruise Westerdam 12/6/09 (LONG)

Coastalbreezes

Hi, Tracy. I haven't gotten around to organizing my thoughts into a review just yet, but I wanted to say that it's a shame that Captain Harris turned out to be a jerk. I didn't give too much thought to the muster drill since it seemed that this crowd needed a bit more of a stern tone, but there's absolutely no excuse for trashing passengers in public. Did you mention it on your comment card? (Although I'm not sure they'd reprimand a captain, but still.)

Also wanted to mention that you didn't miss much by not going to the solo lunch. I thought it was kind of awkward. I didn't end up going to any of the solo gatherings in any of the bars, because the time always interfered with something else.

The mixology classes sound like they were lots of fun. Maybe I should have participated even though I'm not that much of a drinker (I just about used up my 20-punch wine card).

We had a singles/solo get together the first night on my recent 26 night Prinsendam cruise. We then had a few singles/solos lunches with the 2 dance hosts that were on the cruise. A free drink - wine or cocktail was given to us at these events. I enjoyed meeting the other singles and solos, and would chat with them whenever I saw them around the ship.

Hi, Tracy. I haven't gotten around to organizing my thoughts into a review just yet, but I wanted to say that it's a shame that Captain Harris turned out to be a jerk. I didn't give too much thought to the muster drill since it seemed that this crowd needed a bit more of a stern tone, but there's absolutely no excuse for trashing passengers in public. Did you mention it on your comment card? (Although I'm not sure they'd reprimand a captain, but still.) Yes I DID!

Also wanted to mention that you didn't miss much by not going to the solo lunch. I thought it was kind of awkward. I didn't end up going to any of the solo gatherings in any of the bars, because the time always interfered with something else. How was the lunch awkward? I am curious to know more...

The mixology classes sound like they were lots of fun. Maybe I should have participated even though I'm not that much of a drinker (I just about used up my 20-punch wine card).

There were several people that just came to watch and laugh along as we sang and toasted. It really was a fun time.

Did you decide which cruise you are going to take? Did they limit you as to when/where you may go?

Tracy

Hi, Tracy. I think the solo lunch felt awkward because it turned out that Linda (your mixology hostess), who hosted it, talked most of the time with another woman who was a published author and was getting tips for a book that she was going to write. The other few of us who showed up didn't really talk much amongst ourselves, so I didn't really connect with anyone resulting from that lunch. Oh well, at least I got a free glass of wine!

I haven't quite decided on a specific cruise. The only limitation is that it has to be a 7-day Caribbean itinerary and holiday sailings are excluded. I have 18 months to use it. There's an Eastern Caribbean itinerary on the Nieuw Amsterdam that looks interesting. Perhaps it might be nice to be on a new ship!

Hi, Tracy. I think the solo lunch felt awkward because it turned out that Linda (your mixology hostess), who hosted it, talked most of the time with another woman who was a published author and was getting tips for a book that she was going to write. The other few of us who showed up didn't really talk much amongst ourselves, so I didn't really connect with anyone resulting from that lunch. Oh well, at least I got a free glass of wine!

I haven't quite decided on a specific cruise. The only limitation is that it has to be a 7-day Caribbean itinerary and holiday sailings are excluded. I have 18 months to use it. There's an Eastern Caribbean itinerary on the Nieuw Amsterdam that looks interesting. Perhaps it might be nice to be on a new ship!

I have really enjoyed some of the lunches, others not so much. I agree that the "Host or Hostess" can really help break the ice if they realize it's not about them and that they have a job to do. If nothing else, the lunch provides a few friendly faces to greet when on tour or around the ship.

On a cruise two years ago from NZ to Japan, I sat at a table for six. As we all do, we introduced ourselves and I found myself sitting next to a fellow who lived 5 miles from me in CT. It really is a small world.

CAL

Agree with all of your 'review'; including Officers conversation during dinner....:eek::(BAD. BUT, "Mr.&Mrs.Entitlement' were EVERYWHERE on the 12/6-12/13 part of the cruise. We did the B2B and the second week; 12/13-12/20, was completely different...INCLUDING THE MUSTER DRILL. Captain Harris gave the 'normal' drill. Really liked the Westerdam; as you described all details, as they were.

Have sailed HAL before; Ryndam and Zaandam. We winter in Kissimmee, FL and when HAL was ported at Port Canaveral; Zaandam was a regular. Now Disney; Carnival; Glory and Royal Caribbean, Freedom of the Seas are home ported there. Sooo, we do more Royal now unless we drive to Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale. BUT do like the comfortable feeling of HAL (depending on the time of the year). Indonesian crew can't be beat.

They are the happiest, smiling young people. HAL certainly does a good job recruiting. Hoping to cruise Westerdam again this winter...most of the same crew will be there. Again, TracyE, your review was GREAT!

Thanks for the kind words (and it was great to meet you as well!)...I have read so many others say the same thing as you -- that 2nd week of Dec seems to have had "nicer" passengers. I have never let the rude ones ruin my cruise. I work too hard for my vacation money! Hope to see you on the high seas some time in the future!

Peace and good health in 2010.

Tracy

TracyE; Where did you hang out?? After meeting you at the aft bar on Lido deck I never saw you again. Would run into Pierce&David and friend; but not you.

We don't drink (NOT BY CHOICE....Dr. orders) so the only time we were at a bar was when we met you.

NOW....;)I'm not suggesting you were hiding in the bars....But...Roy & Daniel said "Hi".....LOL (saw this in one of your posts..... :D)

We have experienced the rude people before...AND...

Your right about not letting anyone ruin your vacation...Mr&Mrs Entitlement got to be a 'joke'.

Couldn't wait to see what they would do next AND how 'we' would react. We LOVE cruising and will continue as long as we can...BUT do know to watch the calendar.

Next cruise is Jan. 31st out of Port Canaveral on Royal,Freedom. Would really love to do Westerdam again..loved Holland Amerca crew. Happy New Year to you and 'happy cruising'. Judy

Judy,

During the day when not participating in on-board events or being on shor, I would sit aft and read and soak up the sun. I would go to the sports bar every night for a pre- and post-dinner cocktail and that's how I met Roy and Daniel. Roy was so awesome as I mentioned in my review: he made a special trip to a grocery store to get me some Pika hot sauce in Curacao and then refused to let me pay him for it (but I made him take the money + a tip for doing it!). They were both so nice to me.

Have a great trip on the Freedom -- my son and I did Radiance last year and it was a wonderful trip.

Tracy

Archived