Ka'anapoli Beach Hotel -I am confused

stuNYC

I have searched this Board and haven't found any mention of the Ka'anapoli Beach Hotel

I have read that if you want to experience the true Hawaiian experience, this is where to stay. Fodor refers to it as rundown, old fashioned hotel; whereas Trip Advisor rates it as #1

in West Maui. The Hotels further south sound like over the top expansive resorts. My DW is in a wheelchair and I would like a smaller hotel rather than a larger.

I have been thinking about experiencing both in my 8 night stay 4 in the west and 4 in the south (perhaps the Fairmont)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

I don't know anything about your hotel but I do use TA alot. I looked up hotels for Lahaina http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60634-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii-Hotels.html and TA shows it as #3 out of 31 which is still very good and lokks like good rates.

However when yuor reading reviews watch for the dATes because they are not in any order, just as I see with kA"ANAPOLI.I think there is only a couple reviews for 2009

We stayed at the Fairmont the week of October 24, 2009 and thought the resort was beautiful, but on the expensive side. We said if we ever went back to Maui we would do what you are thinking of doing, stayed a few days in Wailea and the other time at someplace in Ka'anapoli. Wailea was nice but there wasn't a night life at the Fairmont. The grounds, pools and service were great, but the food was not worth the money, do yourself a favor and stop at the Safeway a few miles away and bring your own food. The area of Kihei seems like that would have been a good choice, more places to eat and more night life, we spoke to people on our flight home that stayed there and had a great time.

Where ever you decide to stay all of the beaches we saw were great.

Have fun.

Aloha,

My wife and I are heading back to the Kaanapali Beach Hotel in May-our 10 stay there.

We like it because it is a bit smaller than the others on the beach. Snorkeling a very short distance to Black Rock at the Sheraton. Not as ritzy as the others on the beach. Smaller swimming pool than the other resorts. Has both a grill and bar outside by pool. Least expensive place on what we think is the best beach. Nice eating next door at Whaler's Village. We look forward to each stay. Can arrange daily activities at activities desk, if you don't want to do that on your own. Have fun!

I finally booked the Kaanapali Beach Hotel on Maui for 8 glorious days. Paying $262/night for an ocean front room at a smaller hotel on the beach means that I can spend more on excursions, shows and meals.

Are there any shows or excursions that I have to book ahead of time. Certain tour websites "claim" that shows sell out weeks in advance. I presume that when we are on land we are competing with the influx of cruise ship passengers who on NCL spent two days in port.

Although it is not cost beneficial, I would prefer to rent a car in West Maui rather than drive in from the airport myself. With my wife in a wheelchair it just seems easier.

Does anyone know what a taxi costs from the airport to Kaanapali, which I understand is 45 minutes away. I know that it is a waste of money but the convenience outweighs the cost especially since I am a new driver and will have gotten up early to disembark NCL and fly over to Maui from Honolulu.

Another question, in addition to the 8 nights on land, we will have two days in port, Mai being our first stop. Do you suggest that rent a car or just relax on the ship and save my energy for the other ports the are one after another.

I'm not sure about your rental car question; we had a 'comp' car from the hotel, and picked it up from the airport. Of course, this was some time back. However, I do agree with another poster who recommended the Safeway grocery store, which, as I recall, is not very far. Since you will be at the Kanapalli for 8 days, I would stock up on things you can keep in your fridge/room. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Aloha,

Have never used a taxi on Maui so don't know the cost. Very convenient for us to rent a car so we can go to the beaches and drive to Hana and Haleakala (for sunrise). Parking at the KBH was about $8-9 a day-$2 more for valet. The KBH is not a 5* property, but we like it.

You may want to visit http://www.visitmaui.com for info and a vacation planner.

I have met Kay http://www.mauikay.com and she seems like a very nice person and very knowledgeable. She may be able to help you also.

Try http://www.mauihawaii.org for more Maui info. Most of our activities relate to water and have never had to reserve ahead of time. But if you want a day trip to Lanai or Molokai, you may need to.

There are so many things to do on Maui. When you get there, look for activity and attraction coupon booklets-in airport and on the streets.

We enjoy Lahaina, 6 miles south of Kaanapali-restaurants, arts night on Friday, and t-shirts.

Many say the Old Lahaina Luau is the best one on the island.

There is a magic show at the KBH-Kupanaha-dinner show Tue-Sat.

Another show http://www.ulalena.com gets good reviews.

Another place to visit for ideas http://www.tombarefoot.com/maui/activities_maui.html

Sorry this is so disjointed-just going off the top of my head.

There is so much to do on Maui, I'd rent a car for your extra 2 days on Maui. You can enjoy the ship while not on land IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

.....agree with another poster who recommended the Safeway grocery store, which, as I recall, is not very far. Since you will be at the Kanapalli for 8 days, I would stock up on things you can keep in your fridge/room. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Aloha,

Long's Drug Store is another place we stop at for odds and ends. We also stop (1st stop)at Costco (bring your card from home) just outside the airport heading toward Lahaina and the KBH after picking up our car.

You might consider flying in to West Maui airport (code JHM) tho' not sure about wheelchairs on a puddle jumper. There are rental places close by and of course you're very close to Kaanapali.

Some shows sell out early, Old Lahaina Luau being one of them. One comment re Long's Drugs, they also sell Maui raised beef - pretty good steaks ! I found their hamburger a bit too lean, it was easy to overcook them.

Dittos re Maui Kay, she's super.

Archived