Supportive and attractive swimwear for the large chested?

monkeyrouge

I am a fluffy girl and to top it off I am dealing with a 42DDD in the chest department. I have a hard time finding a swim suit because I need a larger size on top than I do on the bottom AND nothing is supportive enough on top. Halter styles hurt my neck and shoulders so badly because of ummm gravity and it seems like everything is halter style.

I am 32 and I look young and I do not want a granny suit, in fact I like something a little more alternative.

Any suggestions of a style or good place online to browse? :confused:

I am a fluffy girl and to top it off I am dealing with a 42DDD in the chest department. I have a hard time finding a swim suit because I need a larger size on top than I do on the bottom AND nothing is supportive enough on top. Halter styles hurt my neck and shoulders so badly because of ummm gravity and it seems like everything is halter style.

I am 32 and I look young and I do not want a granny suit, in fact I like something a little more alternative.

I'm not fluffy or well-endowed but I can speak for the quality and fit of Land's End suits....I have 6.:) They have a nice selection of seperates so you can mix and match sizes.

I hope someone comes up with some ideas. I too am "fluffy" but mostly in the top half. I wear a 40 HH and can not find enough support in most suits. Much less the lack of fit. Otherwise I wear a 16 bottom lol. I find Land's End suits not supportive at all. I cannot wear halter style. I am 60 and am not concerned with the newest style.. but sure need something.

Will be anxious to here if anyone has any idea for us "supersized" ladies. I have tried seperates, there close but not usually in my sizes.

figleaves.com has a special section for DD+ (it's lingerie but swimsuits too) Bare Necessities has similar brands: http://www.barenecessities.com/search.aspx?search=Swimwear&mode=1

Plus - just google dd+ swimwear and lots more sites will pop up. THe place I used to buy from has gone out of business, and another that did custom suits - I cannot find the link for anymore - apologies. But with the internet - you can find it! There's a good market for this out there (I'm familiar with the trauma of bathing suit shopping when your bust is DD+...) You're not going to find a suit at your local department store (I never have....Except for some tankinis from Lands End that are DD+ underwires I ordered online - one fit, one didn't so I returned to Sears)

Hi i have a similar problem and unfortunatly not much answers.

I have a big bust but small waist. So even if i can buy a set that will fit for my bottom half and it will fit for the size of my upper torso, i usually "bust" out of the cups/top.

On my recent trip to hawaii i needed a new swim suit. I bought "seperates" bottoms in the right size and a tankini in a size to fit my bust which was 2 sizes bigger. The problem i found is that it was too lose around the waist and started to "balloon" up.

My only suggestion is to perhaps wear a bra and buy a lycra top to wear over it. Not exactly the best "look" but at least there will be support.

I am a 34 G and buy my bathing suits from Bravissimo. They have bikinis, tankinis and one piece.

They sell stuff on-line as well as in their shops in England.

http://www.bravissimo.com/default.aspx

As well as bras from size D on up to KK, they also sell very supportive swim suits by bust size (Not just D on up, but chest + cup size) and clothing made to fit the well-endowed, including camisoles and halter tops with built-in underwired bras. You can have jackets, rain coats, tops and dresses that don't gape at the bust but that can fit a trim waist.

BTW, most women wear bras that are far too large around the rib cage and too small in the cup. If a bra is properly fitted, there should not be weight pulling on your shoulders. On the website, the section on fitting is worth reading.

I am sorry if this sounds like an ad, but I am so fed up with places like Landsend (which I otherwise like) who think that a few D cup suits are sufficient for women with curves.

I am sorry if this sounds like an ad, but I am so fed up with places like Landsend (which I otherwise like) who think that a few D cup suits are sufficient for women with curves.

In fairness to Lands End - the fact that I can always find DD swimsuits in their Overstock section tells me that the larger cup size is not a good seller for them - so why would they expand their offerings? Before I had a breast reduction in 1992 (I was 19) - I had no options - I was a teenager who had to wear boring one-piece suits - if I could find something that sort of worked. At least now - with the ability to shop on the internet and find things from all over the world - there ARE other options out there:p

I second figleaves.com, and specifically a brand called Freya. I'm a 38DD on top and an 8 on the bottom, so I need to order top and bottom separately. I'm also only 33, so I'm not ready for a boring swimsuit (but I'm getting too old for Venus Swimwear, too). My Freya suit fits great everywhere AND is plenty supportive on top-the top is constructed like a bra and does more than just cover the good parts, it actually holds everything where it should be. I won't be jogging in it or anything, but it's plenty for a walk on the beach or laying by the pool.

http://www.biggerbras.com/m-swimwear.shtml

This is a very good company that has larger bras and swimsuits. They have great customer service by phone and will offer suggestions and advice to help you get a good fit.

If you get an order and it doesn't fit, try to give them lots of feedback on where and why you don't like the fit. It will help them guide you to a better fit:)

I am a 34 G and buy my bathing suits from Bravissimo. They have bikinis, tankinis and one piece.

They sell stuff on-line as well as in their shops in England.

http://www.bravissimo.com/default.aspx

As well as bras from size D on up to KK, they also sell very supportive swim suits by bust size (Not just D on up, but chest + cup size) and clothing made to fit the well-endowed, including camisoles and halter tops with built-in underwired bras. You can have jackets, rain coats, tops and dresses that don't gape at the bust but that can fit a trim waist.

BTW, most women wear bras that are far too large around the rib cage and too small in the cup. If a bra is properly fitted, there should not be weight pulling on your shoulders. On the website, the section on fitting is worth reading.

lol I totally agree. I am exactly the same size and most places don't seem to believe that a woman with a cup size of G could be anything less than a 40.

Its a little more expensive than other places but the bras and swimsuits have lasted me very well.

Figleaves have a smaller choice but I have found the quality just as good.

I'm with Joby... biggerbras.com has provided me with some great bikini tops. I have a very ample chest but am not overweight and my experience has always been that swimsuit designers think that large breasts = either overweight and deserving only of tankinis or one-pieces (jerks), or else that they must be fake and therefore rock-hard and capable of being covered with teensy scraps of fabric that provide maximum exposure with minimal support (pervs). Being neither of those options, biggerbras.com has been a godsend.

thats a good idea, I have several Enell sports bra's, (actually thats all I wear, great support and no back/neck ache) A black one with a lycra over shirt, and regular black bottoms should do nicely. The Enell sports bras are very supportive and cover everything. I think it would look fine, just like a two piece.

I'm with Joby... biggerbras.com has provided me with some great bikini tops. I have a very ample chest but am not overweight and my experience has always been that swimsuit designers think that large breasts = either overweight and deserving only of tankinis or one-pieces (jerks), or else that they must be fake and therefore rock-hard and capable of being covered with teensy scraps of fabric that provide maximum exposure with minimal support (pervs). Being neither of those options, biggerbras.com has been a godsend.

LOL and AMEN! :p They also seem to think that if you need a larger top size you must have a neck of steel because they make them all halter style....ouch!

I will be checking out these places, thanks everyone.

My only suggestion is to perhaps wear a bra and buy a lycra top to wear over it. Not exactly the best "look" but at least there will be support. You can choose online.

This is what I have been doing for a couple years but I just feel like I look sloppy or frumpy. I think when I make this next swimsuit purchase It will be an investment so I might as well get something I like.

I say go for it! I have a Freya top from last year and I adore it... the cups are very solid and supportive. Also have the Fantasie Jaipur paisley-looking one, the material is thinner than the Freya's with less structure, but I still find it supportive enough.

I second figleaves.com, and specifically a brand called Freya. I'm a 38DD on top and an 8 on the bottom, so I need to order top and bottom separately. I'm also only 33, so I'm not ready for a boring swimsuit (but I'm getting too old for Venus Swimwear, too). My Freya suit fits great everywhere AND is plenty supportive on top-the top is constructed like a bra and does more than just cover the good parts, it actually holds everything where it should be. I won't be jogging in it or anything, but it's plenty for a walk on the beach or laying by the pool.

I agree with the other poster that most women are not wearing the right size bra. If you are only a size 8, there is almost no way you can have a 38 band size- the size of your rib cage. You measure your band size first and then the largest part of your chest. If the chest is 1 inch more than the band, you are an A, 2 inches more a B and so on. My sister was a fitter at Nordstrom and she also said that most wear way to big a band and way too small a cup.

Freya is a brand that is carried by Bravissimo, Figleaves and Bigger Bras. I agree. They do make nice swim suits and bras.

IMO, if you have big boobs, it is worth the investment in a good bra and a good swim suit. It makes much more difference in how we look and feel for us than for the flat chested.

This is where I buy my swimsuits: http://exelntswimwear.com/. You can have a suit custom made at a resonalbe price. If you live in MI and can stop by one of their locations you might also find some great deals on ready mades. I make it a point to visit a few times a year. The quality is fantastic. Hope this helps! Patty

I agree with the other poster that most women are not wearing the right size bra. If you are only a size 8, there is almost no way you can have a 38 band size- the size of your rib cage. You measure your band size first and then the largest part of your chest. If the chest is 1 inch more than the band, you are an A, 2 inches more a B and so on. My sister was a fitter at Nordstrom and she also said that most wear way to big a band and way too small a cup.

I get sized every year, and am definitely wearing the right size. Believe me, I hope every year that that size will go down, and it just won't budge. ;)

And actually, the band size isn't just the ribcage measurement, it's ribcage plus either 4 or 5 inches. Although I did like the "expert" at one store who apparently didn't know that and ended up telling me I was a 32HH. :eek:

If anyone isn't sure what size they wear, this is a great guide on how to measure. http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

I've had luck buying swimsuits in little boutiques, if there are any near you. Online as well from those places mentioned, but I generally hate buying clothes online. And if you can, find a top with underwire and 2 straps, not a halter, you'll be more comfortable and have better support. I'm a 34 DD and I won't wear tankinis anymore because if they cover my chest, they're too big everywhere else. The best fitting suits I;ve gotten are when the top gets sold based on bra size.

I'm having trouble with this, too. At age 51, I don't want to wear a bikini. Even most of the bra-sized tankinis are cut pretty low and I'm just not comfortable with that because of my "build". Land's End just came out with some DDD swimsuits. To me it's interesting that they are not offering some of their more modest styles in the DDD. Also, I want a swim skirt or something similar. So, it needs to hold me up, cover me up, and still look cute. No luck so far. :)

Archived