New Years Atkins Revolution Resolution

Milaandra

Starting January 4, I'm going back on Atkins, the only eating plan that ever worked for me. I'll be incorporating some exercise, as well. I need to lose around 60-70 lbs or so total. I won't know exactly until I see how I feel on the journey.

Anyone want to join me?

We can be a lot more comfortable this time next year!

I don't think you can go wrong with Atkins, but I think the reason it works for most people is because they are paying better attention to what they are eating and drinking.

Consume 3500 fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose a pound of fat no matter what diet you use.

Also, I'm sure all will agree that it's best to adopt a new life-long way of eating.

Good luck, follow Atkins and I'm sure you'll have great results.

I respectfully disagree. I've been on Weight Watchers and not lost weight, I did Nutrisystem and had to skip the milk and wheat germ in order to lose weight, I did Pritikin and didn't lose an ounce, ditto with Scarsdale and whatever else was the diet du jour. I did them all correctly. They just didn't work for me.

Atkins works with my metabolism. If you study the differences in aboriginal diets, it makes sense. I'm very northern in my genetic makeup. (Celtic and those rascally Vikings!)

I also love, love, love the ketostix! There's nothing like instant verification! :cool:

Hi! Although no one has joined me yet, I hope no one minds if I report anyway. At least there will be accountability.

I couldn't see any reason to put off, so I started on New Year's Day. I'm already in ketosis! Woo-hoo!

Weigh in next Friday. I'm getting over a bad cold, so I may not start exercising until my breathing feels better.

I worry a little about keeping a routine going when back at work. I'm not very useful in the morning, and making an egg and packing a lunch is so much harder than grabbing a muffin and skipping lunch entirely! Wish me luck!

Good luck on your endeaver, I did atkins about 3yrs ago and lost 50lbs in 3 months. But I'm of Irish and Italian descent and love my breads and pasta. I too have tried every diet out there to loose weight and none of them worked. Or so I thought, the problem wasn't with the diet, it was with ME! portion control and excercise. I've been seeing a Dr. lately and have lost 7 lbs in the last 3 weeks and they seem to favor a "modified" low carb diet. The weight comes of slower, but their patients seem to keep it off longer. So I wish you luck with yours if you wish me lick with mine:)

Good luck! How modified is the modified approach?

I can completely live without bread. Rice is my killer! (and baked goods, of course!) But once I'm at goal I can incorporate brown rice and whole grain cereals, so I just have to remember that it isn't forever.

Good luck! How modified is the modified approach?

I can completely live without bread. Rice is my killer! (and baked goods, of course!) But once I'm at goal I can incorporate brown rice and whole grain cereals, so I just have to remember that it isn't forever.

That's what I thought and went slowly from 250 to 350. I also had a severe leg infection and a messed up back for a while so didn't do any working out. They tell you only whole grain breads, eat a lot of veggies and don't be afraid of fruits so long as they're fresh not frozen. Sweet and white potatoes are o.k in moderation. Lower fat meats and seafood( I hate seafood).They really push the excercise. At least 20-30 minutes every day.That's my weakness.

Starting January 4, I'm going back on Atkins, the only eating plan that ever worked for me. I'll be incorporating some exercise, as well. I need to lose around 60-70 lbs or so total. I won't know exactly until I see how I feel on the journey.

Anyone want to join me?

We can be a lot more comfortable this time next year!

OK, I'm in! Done this in the past and it has also worked for me, but I do find that if I cut out all the "garbage" I like to eat:rolleyes:, I also lose, just not as quickly. And I need to lose some weight quickly to get me motivated to continue. I, however, will start tomorrow, the 4th. I hope we can both do well and support each other, and anyone else who wishes to join in!

That's great! I was feeling lonely... :D

You might also check out the other Atkins thread on this board - think it's called Anbody on Atkins - it's been going for a long time and if you skim through it you'll find a lot of good ideas and recipes. There are usually at least a few people on it who are trying to lose and others maintaining and offering support.

1st week report:

I've had some issues sticking with the plan, so I've only lost 2 pounds.

I'm not sure why I find it so difficult to start! Yes, you need to be organized, but this is silly!

Oh well...baby steps are better than no steps at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been in ketosis since the first week. I thought I had lost 9 lbs, but my scale really...well, it just plain sucks. I can get on it three times in a row and get three different results. So today DH and I bought a decent mechanical scale, and we found a permanent place for it. (Old house...uneven floors) It was a little depressing getting on, because the number is higher than the average number on the old scale. But I've decided to merely believe that I was 9 lbs more than that number when I started! Okay...I'm trying to believe that... :p

At least now I'll be able to properly gauge my progress.

I think I'll start on the treadmill on Tuesday. I have to train for those Bermudian hills! I had wanted to wait until I saw scale movement because exercise can build muscle and affect weight. But I don't want to wait too long!

I have a Red Hat tea at the end of the month, which will be a planned meal away from the program. Our February event is non-food related, thank goodness.

I hate this part. You know, when you've been on program for a while, feeling a bit denied and you can't see progress yet. I know from previous experience, that weight comes off in funny ways. You'll be chugging along, not noticing anything and then suddenly you seem to lose a whole size in one weekend. You see that once and it provides the gratification needed to keep going. But until that happens... <sigh>

Archived