Celebration Smoking

Booked on Celebration end of January, both of us are smokers, according to most comments on this site basically smoking is a no no, however on Thompson's own website of ships it says smoking is permitted on board in areas of bars and also in cabin,,although 'discouraged', I have never been so confused..any other smoker comment?

I bet they'll get round it by the fact it's printed in the brochure and also on the website. And we should have looked.

they changed the policy on the Escape in the middle of the season and many people who had booked early and expected to be able to smoke in some of the bars indoors were not happy.

We don't smoke but our sons do and No.1 son was looking forward to sitting at the bars with a smoke and a pint.

But weather was good and they were fine smoking at the outdoor bars.

Berwyn

Booked on Celebration end of January, both of us are smokers, according to most comments on this site basically smoking is a no no, however on Thompson's own website of ships it says smoking is permitted on board in areas of bars and also in cabin,,although 'discouraged', I have never been so confused..any other smoker comment?

Hi there

My wife & I had similar problems. I find it very difficult to believe that Thomson still have not changed the wording on their website to indicate the facts.

My advice would be to still go on the cruise , when on board ask for special permission to smoke in your cabin, register an official complaint at the reception and obtain a report , when home take the matter up with Thomson. Approx 6 letters and 5 months later after having got nowhere

issue a claim in the small claims court. My wife and I did exactly this and received 60% of our holiday cost back. ( we may have got all of our money back if we had asked for it )

Above all have a good time and realise it was a Thomson false information

that encouraged you to book.

I have re activated our original message on cruise critic to provide background info. To us this has nothing to do with smoking but simply

being given the facts prior to booking a holiday

Hi Banjoman,

While being a non smoker I must say good for you.

We booked on the Island Escape in March this year and at the time it still said "smoking allowed in certain bars". No.1 son was looking forward to be able to sit at a bar enjoying a fag and a pint.

But in the meantime Thomson's changed the policy to "No smoking in any indoor areas" This was great for DW and I but both sons had to smoke in outdoor allowed areas (including 2 outdoor bars). Luckily the weather was mainly fine and they had no complaints.

Berwyn

Thankyou Banjoman, I'm good with County Courts etc I hope Thompson arn't monitoring this site ! I do believe in this fact, however you didn't say whether you smoked in the cabin or not?

Glad to see some smokers still left..our human rights are that as it is your temporary home you are allolwed to smoke thats why the legislation excluded Prisons and TheHouses of Parlaiment!

Glad to see some smokers still left..our human rights are that as it is your temporary home you are allolwed to smoke thats why the legislation excluded Prisons and TheHouses of Parlaiment!

As the ships are registered outside of the UK, the UK law regarding smoking doesn't apply. That said, the ships are privately owned and Thomson's can apply whatever smoking restrictions they choose. As a non-smoker I'm over the moon that my human right to breath clean, fresh air is not violated but I agree that the company's literature should make their position in smoking more clear. I'm not sure what it says in the brochure but Thomson's website says: "smoking is only permitted in strictly designated areas of the open deck. Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the ship."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a non-smoker I'm over the moon that my human right to breath clean, fresh air is not violated

Hi,

DW and I are with you fully here.

It was lovely to go anywhere inside the Island Escape this month and have clean air to breathe now Thomson's own her and apply their regulations.

I know the rest of the ships are registered outside U.K. but the Dream is registered in Italy, so even if Thomson's didn't apply it surely the E.U. non smoking regs should?

Can find nothing in the Thomson 2009/2010 brochure, but this is what it now says on the Thomson Cruise website,

re smoking

Smoking at Sea

All of our ships are non-smoking. This means you can only smoke in designated areas of the open deck – including cabin balconies[/i]

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/life-onboard/got-a-question.html

Yes it is on the site, it is also in the 2009/2010 edition on page 228 A-Z guide Smoking at sea.

It's on page 164 of the edition I have! But wherever it is, Thomson's seem to have it covered now - you can only smoke in certain places outside of the ship.

Yes it is on the site, it is also in the 2009/2010 edition on page 228 A-Z guide Smoking at sea.

I have the April 2009 Edition, which has cruises to Oct 2010. However this edition only has 205 pages, may have missed it, but I don't think so, does not appear to be in this edition.

Thankyou Banjoman, I'm good with County Courts etc I hope Thompson arn't monitoring this site ! I do believe in this fact, however you didn't say whether you smoked in the cabin or not?

Hi Kasvin

We did smoke in our cabin. However we did take a printout of the rules on the website as they were when we booked. We learnt during the cruise of 5 others who had also got special permission from reception.

Have a good holiday.

Well I'm glad we weren't in the cabin after you the following week. My husband is asthmatic and extremely allergic to cigarette smoke!!!

wouldn't want to be the cabin steward cleaning up a smokers room, they could refuse due to health and safety

From a practical point of view I don't think you will have much of a problem finding somewhere to smoke on the Celebration. We are non smokers and sometimes seem to have to search for somewhere where there isnt smoke! (or it seems that way when we go outside on deck etc) Its not a real problem for us but there always seems to be plenty of people indulging so I certainly dont think it will spoil your holiday:)

Archived