How early in the AM can you get off POA

stuNYC

I have booked an excursion for 6:45 AM on the second day the POA is docked in Kauai. Since it is 20 miles to my destination I would have to leave the ship by NLT 6:15AM.

Questions

Will I have trouble leaving the ship at 6:15AM. I don't know if security is manned 24/7 both inside the ship and outside the terminal.

Will I trouble getting my car out of the parking lot at that time

Most important is there anywhere on ship where I can get a cup of coffee. If not, I will sleep driving!

I have booked an excursion for 6:45 AM on the second day the POA is docked in Kauai. Since it is 20 miles to my destination I would have to leave the ship by NLT 6:15AM.

Questions

Will I have trouble leaving the ship at 6:15AM. I don't know if security is manned 24/7 both inside the ship and outside the terminal.

Will I trouble getting my car out of the parking lot at that time

Most important is there anywhere on ship where I can get a cup of coffee. If not, I will sleep driving!

When the ship is docked overnight you can come and go at any time.

You will have coffee machine in your room and I believe room service will be available.

Cant answer on car lot sorry.

You really need to leave earlier than that. You will not be doing 60 mph driving for the 20 miles to get wherever you're going. You need to allow 45 minutes, minimum (depending on your destination). For 20 miles to anywhere on Kauai, we'd allow an hour to be on the safe side.

You can leave the ship any time while it is docked, so no worries there. The parking lot that sells parking spaces for cruisers' rental cars overnight is not (to the best of my recollection) gated at night. I'm not positive though. We parked early evening and then left again early the next morning, but not that early. The lot is only a couple of blocks from the pier, but allow 10 minutes to walk from the ship because you have to walk out through the pier complex to the street/sidewalk.

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

Parking lot is not gated.

Actually not sure what insurance/safety $20 fetches at that place any way.

Many people on our cruise simply parked in shopping place's parking area for free. (dont know how risky that is given Hawaii's high car vandalism rate)

Shuttle to that parking area/shopping complex, does not start until 8:15 AM or so.

It is about 15 min walk from ship to that place (depending on your fitness level, YMMV)

2nd day in Kauai is a very short day. You need to be on ship by 1:30.

You can do few things without car.

a) Beautiful sunrise from the back of the ship

b) Nice time at friendly Kalapaki beach (which behind parking/shopping place with free frequent shuttle)

c) Free shuttle to main shopping mall (and onward to Poipu beach for $1.50 per person)

d) Relax at ship - this is your last day on ship)

• 1 month later...

We want to spend the 1st day in Kauai sightseeing...so we will rent a car. The 2nd day we want to spend on the beach...so since it is a very short day, would you recommend just renting a car for 1 day only(not overnite) and just taking a shuttle to Kalapaki Beach on the 2nd day? Is this a good gameplan?

We want to spend the 1st day in Kauai sightseeing...so we will rent a car. The 2nd day we want to spend on the beach...so since it is a very short day, would you recommend just renting a car for 1 day only(not overnite) and just taking a shuttle to Kalapaki Beach on the 2nd day? Is this a good gameplan?

I think you have a good gameplan.This was our gameplan and it worked very well. First day we went to Waimea Canyon in the a.m. , stopped at the Waimea Brewing Company at Waimea Plantation Cottages - very good :) - We then went to Poipu and the spouting horn blowhole. We finished the day visiting Wailua Falls. The second day we visited the shopping area near port and the beach. All within walking distance of the ship.

DT

Yes, room service is available but you can no longer count on having a coffee maker in your cabin .

Can't say every room has a coffee maker, but we had a coffee maker in our room. Didn't use it as it was just as easy to take my coffee cup up to the Aloha Cafe and fill up there.

DT

Archived