Cruising family of 6-need help!

sjram

Ok, I am in the beginning stage of planning a family cruise for next fall. My dh and I have cruised alone together but I am ready to try bringing the kids. They will be 12, 9, 5, and 3. First, is there anyone out there that has done this and can tell me it was enjoyable and you were actually able to relax? Second, I am trying to consider all the best cabin selection options that will be the best for the price and for our sanity/personal space while on the cruise. I have researched enough to know that I need 2 cabins. I REALLY want a balcony but don't want the kids to have one. What pairing options do I have? I know the RCI has a few balcony/inside and balcony/outside combos but am not sure which ships and cabin numbers they are. Does Carnival have any rooms like this? I could also try to do an inside room across from us and put the older 2 in there. I don't think would put the younger 2 alone. Last question is which ship/itinerary is best for a family? We are considering Carnival Liberty for Eastern, Royal Caribbean Liberty Eastern Caribbean, or Spelnder to Mex Riviera. Thanks so much for any help! I am so excited to take my kids cruising and get them as hooked as we are!

Sarah

You need to check the deck plans for those balcony/inside combos...and book as far ahead as possible..they go fast! I'd want connecting with kids as young as yours.

With kids the age of yours, I'd skip the MR and head for the Caribbean...more to do, better weather...

Can't help you with Carnival....they have deck plans, too...you really need to have the plans in front of you when booking ANY ship! Call each cruiseline (or go to their websites) and they will send you the brochures and deck plans! It's worth the week that it will take for you to get them! No charge!

Driving to the port with a bunch of kids is much easier (and less expensive) than flying, so I'd do the Mex Riviera. The Carib is nicer, but we've done quite a few Mex Riviera cruises (because we can drive to the port) and had a great time. I'm packing right now for our flights to a cruise and it's a much bigger hassle having to worry about luggage limits, weigh limits, no liquids in carry-ons, etc., etc. So much easier to bring everything we want and just unload it at the dock.

Best,

Mia

If you can get one of the Family Ocean View rooms on RCCL ships they fit 6 and we found the cost was less than getting two rooms - in fact we are doing a 10-day cruise in a FOV for less than a 7 day with two rooms. The big draw back is 1 bathroom, but if you check the floor plans they are quite a bit larger. There is a pull out couch, bed for you and spouse (that can be curtained off) and separate area with two bunk beds.

We just finished our cruise with 4 kids around the same ages as yours and had a fun time. I can say that we survived it and I think that everyone enjoyed it. The oldest 3 enjoyed the kids club and stayed there as long as they could. The youngest went to the kids club most of the days, but there were times that he was tired and came back to the cabin to rest.

Probably the most hectic part was trying to get the kids to their activities and picking them up when they were done. We also found that eating in the MDR was too lengthy for the youngest and he had a hard time sitting still for the entire meal.

We did the Mexican Riviera because it was the cheapest to fly to and the cheapest cruise we could find for Christmas. Next year we are planning to do the Caribbean. In Mazatlan the youngest went to a beach and the oldest went with me to go fishing. In PV we walked to the Krystal resort and used the beach and playground. In Cabo we just walked the dock and the oldest got board and went back to the ship with Grandpa.

We had 2 outside rooms that we shared with Grandma and Grandpa. Next year we will be looking at getting a balcony and will be in the same boat as you trying to find a set of rooms that work.

We did HAL. I haven't had any experience with RCI or the other lines with kids.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Carnival offer several ships that have connecting cabins- balcony with inside. Kids go inside and we take the balcony. Works better than a suite because you get two bathrooms. Helpful when getting ready for dinner. Cruising with kids cn be a fun enjoyable family time as well as a romantic time in the evenings when they go into a club after dinner and you can dance or go to a show with your husband. We had been all stuffing into one cabin in the past. If you dont want them in a club, you can play shuffle board or swim with them til the wee hours:D

We have gone with the grandparents or another couple- booked our youngest in their cabin- but kept everyone in the same cabin. Gets crowded but you don't spend much time in the room. We got ready in shifts and 1st group ready would leave the room so the girls would have more room. This time as the kids are getting bigger we booked connecting OV. wanted a balcony, but DH decided we would save that for a parents only cruise. Agree that the MDR is harder for the little one especially if you get late dining which happened to us one - even though our booking said early. We took her to get a snack before dinner, but she ended up falling asleep in her chair. We love cruising with our children.

We are doing a cruise as a family of 5 (our kids are 9, 7 and 4). We have a Balcony Room which connects to an Ocean View Room. We are looking forward to a relaxing cruise courtesy of the kids clubs, but the next time we cruise will (hopefully) be as a family of 6, as my wife is expecting another child.

Archived