How far is it from the Houston Galleria to Port Galveston?

DKMDE

We're thinking about taking a cruise from Galveston. However, one person in my group wants to stay at a hotel near the Houston Galleria because she can earn points in addition to the hotel seeming like a nice place. There are no hotels in Galveston within this particular hotel chain.

My question is how far is it from the Houston Galleria to Port Galveston and do you think that it's worth it?

We're thinking about taking a cruise from Galveston. However, one person in my group wants to stay at a hotel near the Houston Galleria because she can earn points in addition to the hotel seeming like a nice place. There are no hotels in Galveston within this particular hotel chain.

My question is how far is it from the Houston Galleria to Port Galveston and do you think that it's worth it?

It's about 56 miles from the Galleria to the Port. Are you driving or flying and taking a cab or other transport?

If you are driving, you will have to pay another $40 to $70 for parking unless you stay at a hotel on the island that offers free parking and shuttle. We are staying at the Tremont House (Wyndham) and got a rate of $112.50 + tax for Jan. 30th. We get to park for free while the cruise is away. Parking for the week at the lots near the terminal would be $50. So I look at it this way, I'm actually saving money by staying on the island. Now I will say that if you plan to sail during the summer or Mardi Gras, most hotels require two nights minimun during those periods.

Just one night, or are you flying/driving in a few days ahead? If only one night, I would avoid the Galleria area. It will be more costly for the group (way more than any few points earned), food will likely be more, and traffic can be bad.

Plus, it is very city-like. Galveston will get you in the 'mood' better and then you are right there the next morning to board.

However, if staying a few days and you like (so-called) high end shopping, then the Galleria ares is known for it. Not much else close by to do besides shop really.

All just my opinion.

The Galleria area is a wonderful place to stay particularly if you don't have kids or are just looking for more adult entertainment. Its an urban area full of shopping and nice places to eat. Its about 50 miles from the port as is the City of Houston in general.

In a very simple description the Galleria a modern urban shopping district and Galveston is an older family/budget oriented tourist area.

If you are just looking for a place to sleep for a night I would certainly avoid the complication/expense of the Galleria.

Your main expense is getting from the airport to the Galleria and then from the Galleria to Galveston.

If your group will be entertaining the type of people who desire a "high class" atmosphere and price, then Galleria is your choice as they would not find that in Galveston.

Believe it or not, even though the Galleria is high-end, there seems to be more crime in that area. Maybe crooks are targeting the well-off, who knows. What hotel is your friend wanting to stay at? I think you would be better off staying in Galveston and there are amazing places to eat there.

Karenh1127:

I am in 100% agreement as we previously lived within walking distance of the Galleria in a very high end neighborhood. We have lived in Galveston for several years and feel much safer here than in Houston.

Here are many restaurants that are equal to or surpass Houston. Rudy & Paco's, Saltwater Grill, Bernardo's at the Galvez & Pelican Club at Gaido's to name a few.

The Tremont Hotel, Galvez and San Luis are very "high class" with a much warmer atmosphere than the cold, commercial attitudes in Houston.

Archived