Question about Travel Insurance

Chacooe

I am sailing on the Splendor in 2 weeks, can I still get insurance through Insure my trip? I plan on purchasing it tomorrow if I am not to late.

Most 3rd Party Policies (CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx, etc) allow you to purchase up to a day or two before sailing. You won't be able to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" this late.

You can also purchase on-line direct with most of the insurers - Google the Insurer (CSA, TravelEx, TravelInsured, etc). If you're a member of USAA, it looks like they discount TravelInsured.

Which insurer/policy did you choose?

ken

Most 3rd Party Policies (CSA, TravelInsured, TravelEx, etc) allow you to purchase up to a day or two before sailing. You won't be able to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" this late.

You can also purchase on-line direct with most of the insurers - Google the Insurer (CSA, TravelEx, TravelInsured, etc). If you're a member of USAA, it looks like they discount TravelInsured.

Which insurer/policy did you choose?

ken

I have broken it down to CSA or American Express. I am not worried about pre-existing conditions because I have not been sick in the last 6 - 8 months.

I do not know the first thing about buying travel insurance, but maybe you can answer this question for me. If I had to be medivac off of the ship, it would not cost $100,000 would it. I am going to the Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Splendor, if it costs more then that, then maybe I should take out one that has higher benefits for medical.

Ken, I have been wanting to thank you for a long time for all of the valuable information that you give to us newbies, I really appreciate it.

I have broken it down to CSA or American Express. I am not worried about pre-existing conditions because I have not been sick in the last 6 - 8 months.

I do not know the first thing about buying travel insurance, but maybe you can answer this question for me. If I had to be medivac off of the ship, it would not cost $100,000 would it. I am going to the Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Splendor, if it costs more then that, then maybe I should take out one that has higher benefits for medical.

Ken, I have been wanting to thank you for a long time for all of the valuable information that you give to us newbies, I really appreciate it.

remember that an emergency evac can have two components:

#1 getting you off the ship to a hospital

#2 getting you back to a hospital near your home, by air ambulance with doctor/nurse if necessary

I'd go higher.

ken

that may not be correct. If this was a last-minute booking made in the last 3 weeks then coverage for pre-existing medical conditions would still available.

What about non-traveing family members? Parents, Grandparents, etc? Both of the plans you've selected apply the pre-existing condition yo them also. Travelex's newer plans do not.

In Australia if you have a gold Visa Card (including Amex) and use that card to purchase you overseas flights and cruises etc you get complimentary travel insurance for up to three months overseas. The policy is very comprehensive (does not cover pre existing conditions unless you apply and are granted cover for specific conditions) and includes unlimited medical expenses etc. It also covers your spouse and children who may be travelling with you.

We know of many people including ourselves who use this insurance and the savings are very substantial and well worth the extra you have to pay for the card's annual fee. As well you know you have coverage while overseas.

But having said that no one should travel without some form of travel insurance - I had four days in a New Jersey hospital last year during a trip to the USA and got a bill for almost $100,000 US which my insurance covered without hesitation.

What about non-traveing family members? Parents, Grandparents, etc? Both of the plans you've selected apply the pre-existing condition yo them also. Travelex's newer plans do not.

I am traveling Solo, so the plan would be just for me. Thank you for your information, I think I will go with the higher coverage just to be on the safe side. It is better to be safe then sorry later. What is odd is the one with the higher coverage (CSA) is about $30 cheaper then the one with less coverage (American Express).

Archived