Snorkel Cruise + Turtles, DIFFICULT CHOICE...Silvermoon,Cool Runnings,Shasa,Tiami...

limaklimra

Hello everybody,

we are first time cruisers and first time Caribbean visitors and doing a lot of research at the moment to make the most of our trip... BUT it's s difficult to make a choice... therefore, I would really appreciate any comments and recommendations on my question...

We are thinking about a cruise with snorkel and beach stop because we really would like to swim with the often mentioned turtles and would love to see a nice secluded beach...

I found the following options:

- Silvermoon:

3.5 h Cruise with Snorkel, Turtels, Shipwreck $65 pp

5 h Cruise with Snorkel, Turtels, Shipwreck, Lunch, Beach $90-110 pp

- Cool Runnings

5 h Cruise with Snorkel, Turtels, Shipwreck, Lunch, Beach $85 pp

- Shasa

3 h Cruise with Snorkel, Turtels, Shipwreck $60 pp

5 h Cruise with Snorkel, Turtels, Shipwreck, Lunch, Beach $80 pp

- Heatwave

5 h Cruise with Snorkel, Turtels, Shipwreck, Lunch, Beach $75 pp

- Tiami

5 h Cruise with Snorkel, Turtels, Shipwreck, Lunch, Beach $85 pp

I read a lot of positive comments on Silver Moon, but would also like to take into consideration the other options and hear some opinions. Therefore: does anybody have any recommentdations or did recently a tour with the above mentioned operators and has some feedback? What about smoothness of booking procedures and reliability? Group size? Thank you.

Our cruise line Celebrity also offers similar tours at similar prices, but I guess one of the main advantages in booking with local tour operators is smaller groups... is this correct?

Another thought of me at the moment is the question if it "makes sense" to do a 5 h cruise, because I think this means we do not get to see anything else of Barbados or if it would be more recommendable to do a 3 hour tour only to see the turtles and to be finished around 1 o'clock in order to go for example to Accra Beach in the afternoon on our own, because I read many positive comments here about this nice beach...

As you see, I am far away from deciding anything ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help and many greetings from cold Germany...

I am in the same boat - making spreadsheets and trying to keep track of everyone's reviews. I am leaning towards the 3 hour tour, so that we have time to go to another beach, plus we are on a 7 port itinerary, so any savings I can make on one tour, I can put to another!

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want a larger boat with more people on it then Silvermoon, Heatwave Tiami would be the way to go. My wife and I had the same question last November and decided to go with Shasa. In my opinion it was a great choice. It is a much smaller boat but that also meant not as many people on board. In fact it was only us and one other couple on the tour. We did the three hour tour without the lunch. Jason's (the owner captain) wife picked us up at the dock as promised and drove us to the site to meet the boat. She was great and pointed out some sites and told us about the island and her family along the way. We met Jason and the boat on the beach, he pulls the boat up on the beach and you do have to jump on board but it is very easy. Jason will take you to a spot he knows that the other boats don't go to snorkel with the turtles. We were the only boat in the area and had about 7-8 turtles all to ourselves. They actually come right up to you it was truely amazing. I spoke with another couple on the ship later and they enjoyed their tour on Silvermoon but said there were a lot of people and other boats and only about 5 turtles in total in the area so they didn't get to enjoy them as much. Jason will then take you to another snorkel stop and again we were the only boat in the area. He does serve drinks and his rum punch is great. Jason is a native of the island and has been sailing since he was 13 yrs old and seems to know everyone and everything around the island. When we returned to the beach his wife met us again for the ride back. She even brings water to wash the sand off your feet before you get in the van. She was nice enough to suggest some places to shop and visit and even drove a little further to drop us off right in front of the store she recommended. We had a great time and I would recommend the trip to anyone.

I looked at the companies you posted and just booked Silver Moon for our tour. I took the larger Catammaran that takes up to 24 people to save a few dollars. It looked really nice on some of the youtube videos I found. I also read so many positive reviews on this board that I figured I can't go wrong. Good luck with your planning.

I would recommend Silvermoon. We took the 24 boat cat in 2008 on our first cruise and first visit to Barbados. We got the all day cruise which included food and alcohol and it was one of the best excursions of our trip. They are top notch, with excellent service and excellent food and drinks. After taking another similar excursion in Tobago, I can really appreciate how good Silvermoon was. As a comparison, we saw the ships excursion, which was on the Tiami and it was packed in like sardines with people standing and no place to sit down. Just imagine all the people in the water at once trying to see the turtles. Not a good option in my opinion. Silvermoon will limit the number of people so there is plenty of room and there is shade if you need it.

This year we decided to go to the beach when we went to Barbados and I did a lot of research. With the cost of taking a taxi to Accra being $15 per person, we decided to use Scenic Barbados tours to see a little bit of the island first and then go to the beach (it was only $30 pp). While we really enjoyed seeing Barbados, such a beautiful island, next time I will go directly to the beach (Accra or Crane) and spend the day there.

Thanks for all your comments.

I decided to rely on all the positive comments for silvermoon and just booked their 24 passenger lunch cruise.

Can anybody tell me where the catamaran cruise starts? On their website theres no information wheter pick up is included in the price or where the tour starts...

Thanks...

I wish all of you would go away and forget about Silver Moon so they wouldn't get busy and booked up before we call! This year when we booked our 5th trip (coming up in a little over 2 months) they were already booked on the 12 passenger boat. So everyone go take a different excursion and forget about the wonderful Silver Moon day sail! And if you do go then for goodness sake don't tell everyone here about the wonderful time you had - keep it to yourself!

Thanks for all your comments.

I decided to rely on all the positive comments for silvermoon and just booked their 24 passenger lunch cruise.

Can anybody tell me where the catamaran cruise starts? On their website theres no information wheter pick up is included in the price or where the tour starts...

Thanks...

Your confirmation should have meeting instructions. When you exit the pier building there are a bunch of bus gates for excursions and they'll tell you which one to meet at in the confirmation. They'll pick you up in a bus or van and take you to the marina which is just the other side of the port - probably not much more than a mile, if that.

Have a wonderful time. We're doing the 24 person trip too this year - 4th year in a row and our 5th trip, but first on the larger cat.

We just got back and we took the 12 passenger boat. WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!Great crew, total relaxation!!!!! Wonderful food and top notch crew. You will not go wrong. PLENTY of room. Only 10 passengers and 3 crew in a 45 foot cat. I would take this trip again. BEAUTIFUL trip!!!

No question Silver Moon is great.:D

Just got back from the Grand Princess and used Shasa for the 5 hour snorkel tour. They did a great job. They picked us up promptly at the terminal and taxed us to the beach where Jason met us for the tour. Had a nice sail out the turtle area as mentioned in a previous post. Lots of turtles and we were the only ones there. Later went to a reef to snorkel and see the various types of sea life.

Then sailed close to a secluded beach for a swimn while Jason got lunch out which was plentiful and very good. Beer was cold and rum punch was tasty. At the end of the sail, they taxied us back to the ship.

Would highly recommend Shasa, catamaran only holds up to 12 and the snorkel stops are at less crowded areas. Jason and Tess do a good job. (Hello Jason from Mike & Ann)

I also just returned from the Grand Princess and have only great things to say about Shasa Catamaran. Tess was great to work with before our sail and Jason pampered us all during our 5 hour sail. My priority was turtles and Jason made sure we swam with lots of turtles. There were at least 4 or 5 ships in port the day we were in Barbados and you would never have known that since Jason took us to areas that we were the only catamaran. We had plenty of beverages and a wonderful lunch and ample time to just soak up the sun or swim after lunch. It was an amazing day and I won't forget my trip with Shasa. You won't be disappointed if you choose Shasa:).

Debr

I cruise solo and generally book my excursions through the cruiseline. However, I've been to Barbados before and this time I only want to do two things - a snorkle/turtle swim and a visit to the wildlife reserve. Any recommendations on a local company to use? I'm ok being part of a small group, but I don't want to be in a large one. Thanks.

When in Barbados, we used Shasa for a catamaran sail and snorkel excursion. Jason and his wife Tess were so friendly and great to work with. They were very prompt in responding to emails, gave clear instructions on where and when to meet at the port, and provided us with a wonderful sail along the beautiful Barbados coast and a fabulous time snorkeling with the sea turtles. (We did not have lunch, but the others that were with us said the food was plentiful and delicious.) Although the catamaran itself is a bit smaller than some of the others you may see, we preferred the more intimate atmosphere and great personalized service with Shasa. We thoroughly enjoyed our excursion with Shasa and would not hesitate to use them again when we return to Barbados.

We just returned Sunday from our cruise on the Carnival Victory. I had read so many reviews on which company to book. I decided on Heatwave which leaves out of the Boatyard. We could not have been more pleased with our day. From the moment we arrived, the crew's highest priority was that we were happy and well taken care of. The drinks and food were pushed on us and absolutely delicious. The crew was so fun and upbeat. We saw awesome fish at the two shipwrecks where we snorkeled first. The second stop was with the turtles and they were swimming all around us. I had read that the number of people on the catamaran seemed to be a big deal - that the less the better. But I don't really agree. We had about 25 on our boat and we never felt crowded or too close to anyone. Actually, my husband and I felt it made it fun to have a few more people to talk to and "people watch". The cost was only 75.00, included transporation, all the drinks, delicious buffet lunch, 2 snorkel stops and time on a very beautiful and quiet beach. I chose Heatwave because you have the option of staying on their beach "The Boatyard" afterwards for no extra charge. We didn't end up staying because we were tired from all the fun and wanted to go rest on the ship. Again, we recommend this excursion as it was one of our favorites!!!!

We just returned Sunday from our cruise on the Carnival Victory. I had read so many reviews on which company to book. I decided on Heatwave which leaves out of the Boatyard. We could not have been more pleased with our day. From the moment we arrived, the crew's highest priority was that we were happy and well taken care of. The drinks and food were pushed on us and absolutely delicious. The crew was so fun and upbeat. We saw awesome fish at the two shipwrecks where we snorkeled first. The second stop was with the turtles and they were swimming all around us. I had read that the number of people on the catamaran seemed to be a big deal - that the less the better. But I don't really agree. We had about 25 on our boat and we never felt crowded or too close to anyone. Actually, my husband and I felt it made it fun to have a few more people to talk to and "people watch". The cost was only 75.00, included transporation, all the drinks, delicious buffet lunch, 2 snorkel stops and time on a very beautiful and quiet beach. I chose Heatwave because you have the option of staying on their beach "The Boatyard" afterwards for no extra charge. We didn't end up staying because we were tired from all the fun and wanted to go rest on the ship. Again, we recommend this excursion as it was one of our favorites!!!!

YEAHA!! I contacted a couple companies privately bc there really is so much to choose from. I had finally narrowed it down to The Heat Wave and then today I read your post raving about my choice!! I am so excited about what is instore for us on our day! Thank you for your wonderful reiew! Our time is clicking away quickly and we can't wait to sail away!

Just got back from the Victory. We did many of the reviewed tours, Sonny Liston, Cosol, Bernards, Rose and Jim (this was also a great day).

Silvermoon is absolutely the best tour of any that we did. Unlimited drinks, Warm banana bread heading to the 1st snorkel site. Great lunch (not just a little snack/ appetizer set up like one of the other tours). Carrot cake for dessert on the way back to the ship. Most people didn't have any because we already had so much to eat. Snorkellin at the ship wrecks was perfect. Captain Ben and Nick were great hosts. If you are taking a Cat in Barbados, try Silvermoon. You will not be disappointed.

I just took the 12 person trip on 1/29/10 on the Silver Moon. I've been on 4 cruises so far and this was by FAR the absolute best excursion I have EVER been on. The catamaran is beautiful, huge- it has the capacity for 30+ passengers so only having 12 on board gave is a lot of room to roam. The staff- Adrian, Dexter and Marilyn were the best we've ever had. The food was fantastic and I will remember the fish and the carrot cake for the rest of my life. They go the extra mile- they bring food for the turtles. They let you feed the fish so you can get close up underwater pictures. They are real people who you can sit and have a real conversation with. Marilyn even showed us the picture of her beautiful daughter:) The day couldn't have been more of a perfect one. Silver Moon is the only trip I'd want to take in Barbados.

Archived