Darwin & Broome Accommodation?

katzoe

We are taking an Orion Expeditions Cruise from Darwin to Broome in September 2010 & we would like some assistance with accommodation prior to & after the cruise. We like to stop in 5* hotels where possible. We enjoyed our stay at Cable Beach Club in Broome 15 years ago and wondered if we should return or try one of the new resorts.

I cannot remember the name of the hotel we stopped at in Darwin 8 years ago. It was just okay but we were on a tour & it was what we expected.

We would welcome your suggestions for accommodation.

Lorraine

Not sure about Broome but if you want a real 5-star experience in Darwin then good luck! There are a handful of perfectly adequate Holiday Inn-type, places downtown but none of them has a wow factor even though they bill themselves as 5-star. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last year and it was fine for what it was - a clean and comfortable bed for the night after day trips (ask for a room on a higher floor with harbour views). There is also the Skycity resort and Moonshadow Villas (self-catering) which again advertise as 5-star but I would do some careful research at somewhere like tripadvisor.com before you make a decision.

Thanks for your input room010. I was hoping that someone would suggest accommodation in Darwin I hadn't researched. I do read trip advisor and I had narrowed the field to Crowne Plaza, Holiday In Esplanade & Sky City. In the past few days I have read very ordinary reviews of the latter 2 properties so will go ahead & book Crowne Plaza in a King Bed Suite with a harbour view.

Anyone have suggestions for Broome?

Many thanks

Lorraine

Probably the best of the bunch but don't set your expectations TOO high! It's absolutely fine in a "generic 4-star business hotel" kind of way but let's just say that Darwin can't compete with Melbourne (my home town too BTW) when it comes to luxury accommodation.

Archived