Jost Van Dyke

cappy09

I have this reserved for May while on the Oasis of the Seas. Need some information about this. Do you dock at a pier or do you have to swim to shore from the excursion boat? Some of my group snorkle and some of us are not strong swimmers but love the beach thus the need for a dock instead of a swim to shore. How about the restaurants for lunch any recommendations?? Our excursion boat is the Bimini Breeze Power Cat but I have not been able to find any info on it online...Anything you can report will be a great help.

I was in Jost last week. I don't think you can dock. Boats can get pretty close though. A very short swim. Two strokes and you can stand up.

We ate at the Soggy Dollar Bar. Buffet for $12.00 included 3 types of salad and a sandwich: hamburger, flying fish or chicken. Good Painkillers and Banana Benders. I have also heard good things about Foxy's. Can't try them all in one go round.

I can't help with the boat.

We chartered the Big Blue and went to JVD last July. It was a blast. There's no dock in White Bay (where all the bars except Foxy's are) but, depending on the size of your boat, you will anchor in waste deep water and wade in or like the the OP says, just a couple of strokes.

There is a dock in Great Harbour, where Foxy's is.

Don't miss Ivan's which is about a 15 minute walk down the beach from the Soggy Dollar. ENJOY!

2140362242_GLORYFOXYS2.jpg.fc6ea90d2fca6b79fe9cf89ac085fbcd.jpg

The view from Foxy's!

Steve

I was in Jost last week. I don't think you can dock. Boats can get pretty close though. A very short swim. Two strokes and you can stand up.

We ate at the Soggy Dollar Bar. Buffet for $12.00 included 3 types of salad and a sandwich: hamburger, flying fish or chicken. Good Painkillers and Banana Benders. I have also heard good things about Foxy's. Can't try them all in one go round.

I can't help with the boat.

Too cool! We didn't have a buffett at the Soggy Dollar last July. But we DID have the Painkillers!!! :D

Does anyone know of any (reasonably priced) day sail outfits that go to Jost from St. Thomas? Where do you go through customs, Tortola? Can you take a taxi from Great Harbor to Whites Beach? We would love to go to Jost on our day in St. Thomas and will appreciate any info!

A day sail can't get you to Jost and back in one day. You have to rent a powerboat or catamaran. When we did ours, it was interesting that the powerboat went past where we snorkeled on our sailboat a few years earlier and the sailboat took about an hour and a half to get there and the powerboat did it in under 30.

You go through customs in Tortola going over and St. John going back.

I'm not sure what you consider reasonable, but I used VIBE charters. I also looked at Big Blue.

If its just my husband and myself can we charter a boat like the vibe or big blue w/ others so that the price is down? I checked Vibe online and it was $600.00 for the day.

Thats a little salty for just the two of us. It seems safer to charter a boat like this straight from St Thomas rather than mess around trying to get ferries to tortola and then one to JVD. First time going off the beaten path away from the cruise offered

excursions.... I'm a little nervous about missing the ship at the end of the day.

Yes, you can add other people. I believe VIBE will take up to 6. I'm not sure about Big Blue, but my guess is at least 6. We had other people come along when we did a sailboat a few years ago.

I'm not sure about other charters, but in speaking with both of the above mentioned companies, they will work with you to ensure you get back on time. We were back on board about an hour and a half early. I would say whatever your back on board time is plan on ebing back to Red Hook 2 hours early. Even with heavy traffic, that gives you a comfortable margin of error.

It'll be a great day.

Archived