Mystery Dinner Theater on FOS

Murphs

Has anyone done the mystery dinner theater on FOS, and how was it. My wife and I are going to be on FOS starting Feb 28th and are considering this. Also, when I try to book this online I get a message that says " The Specialty restaurant you selected is not available at this time. Please try back at a later time or you can inquire once onboard the ship". Would this mean that the dinner is booked up, or do we need to call to make a reservation for this?

Mike and Lori

We did the mystery dinner on FOS last March. This was our first cruise with our DD 12 and DS 14. The dinner itself was delicious and the wait staff in Portofinos really give you their full attention. The show itself was just ok. If you want to do something like this go ahead..just beware it isn't broadway. I would not do it again for the price.:)

I was just on the Radiance over the holidays and we did the Mystery Dinner. I wasn't impressed with either the food in Portofino (pre fixe dinner) or the show, but it did have it's entertaining moments. It took over 3 hours for the entire show/dinner, which we found to be quite long. Keep in mind, this is just our opinion. It's something to different to do on the ship, but found the price did not compare to the value received. Happy Cruisin'

I you want to experience the fine dining side of the specialty restaurants then book on a normal evening, and I do recommend you try at least one meal. It`s a little oasis of calm and the service is excellent.

The murder mystery is a bit of fun. Of course it will depend on the performers and your fellow guests but don`t see it as a "show" in the same way you go to the theatre. Similarly you will be sitting at large tables so don`t judge the restaurant`s service on that one event.

Booking and the advertising of the show seems to be a bit hidden away. We were advised of it by and booked it through the concierge on our previous cruise. I didn`t see it advertised on Explorer so assume it was available (in fairness we didn`t have a concierge service this time so maybe we just missed it).

You won`t be able to book on line because the normal dining doesn`t take place. I`d suggest speaking with the Potofino head waiter on the first day of your cruise. I thought good fun especially if you enter into the spirit of things and react with the performers.

H.

I'm going on the Explorer in March and was able to book the Mystery Dinner Theater. Here is what is listed on the web page.

Join our cast of characters for a night of mystery, intrigue and lots of laughs. Our professional cast will host an evening of theater where you are the detectives. Solve the crime in Portofino, our gourmet Italian specialty restaurant, over an exquisite multiple course dinner paired with fine wine and fun for all. There are limited spaces available for this exclusive event held once per week, so book early to reserve your night of Royal Caribbean International's, Mystery Dinner Theater.

Menu

Dinner will include a full 4-course meal featuring Portofino's most popular items. Portofino proudly features Seattle's Best Coffee Fresh Roasted Blends and Specialty Beverages, served at current bar menu prices.

Where You'll Find It

Portofino Mystery Dinner Theater is featured on our Radiance class ships, Voyager class ships, and Freedom class ships. Not available on all sail dates.

Dress Suggestion

We suggest smart casual attire in Portofino - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant. This includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Serving

Dinner: Hours vary by ship.

Reservations

All guests over the age of 13 are welcome to attend and reservations are required for this event; please allow three hours for dining. To make a reservation, use the main menu screen on the TV* in your stateroom or call the restaurant directly. Telephone numbers can be found in your stateroom. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged a minimum of $10 USD.

*Interactive TV not available on all ships.

Costs

A nominal fee ranging from $49.50 USD applies per dining guest, including gratuities and select wines. Specialty beverages, beer, and soda are offered at current bar menu prices.

Costs

A nominal fee ranging from $49.50 USD applies per dining guest, including gratuities and select wines. Specialty beverages, beer, and soda are offered at current bar menu prices.

Select wines are included with this package, but soda is not? Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that?

We were able to book ours a couple of weeks ago. Were sailing on IOS on Feb 6 - maybe the reservation isn't open yet.

Royal Caribbean's website had a sample menu at one time (or maybe I'm thinking of the wine dinner?). It looked pre-fixe to me.

Your interaction comes in the form of being able to interview suspects during the meal.

It`s a fun evening, get it booked !

And yes, there is something terribly wrong with being provided with "free" wine but having to pay for a soda. I suspect if you ask common sense will prevail on the night and you will be able to substitute one for the other.

It`s almost like being given free champagne in the Diamond member`s bar but having to pay for beer. Don`t get me started.......... ;)

H.

Has anyone done the mystery dinner theater on FOS, and how was it. My wife and I are going to be on FOS starting Feb 28th and are considering this. Also, when I try to book this online I get a message that says " The Specialty restaurant you selected is not available at this time. Please try back at a later time or you can inquire once onboard the ship". Would this mean that the dinner is booked up, or do we need to call to make a reservation for this?

Mike and Lori

We did this in December on the FOS because we had enjoyed it on the Mariner but it was totally different. While as has been said, the food was good and wine flowed freely, the show itself was boring. In fact, the crew even looked bored while performing. It seemed as though some were even reading their lines off cards. To me, it was not worth the extra money and I wouldn't do it again, at least not on the FOS.

Archived