Grand Cayman

hobgob

As a diver, I think you'd be extraordinarily lucky to see a stingray while snorkeling over a reef unless there were some fairly large sandy patches between the coral heads.

Bottom line, if you really want to see stingrays, stingray city sand bar is the place to go.

Not likely at most of the snorkeling locations. I dive on the west end a lot and can't recall seeing stingrays even on the open areas in the protected national park waters. Lots of other sea life but not stingrays. I suspect that the constant attention and feeding at Stingray City has drawn the majority of stingrays to that area.

as stated stingrays tend to hang in sand flats and even bury themselves in the sand which is why when wading in areas they frequent people are advised to shuffle their feet and probably kick the edge of a ray rather than stepping down on it (and risking a reactionary sting). One memorable dive trip off Bimini while riding a zodiak back to the boat we spotted a pod of porpoise and rolled in to snorkel with them on a sand flat. While playing with the por', we were joined by a stingray which was an easy 5 foot diameter which we spooked out of the sand below us.

In my diving in the Caymans - most every place other than stingray city, I've many times seen eagle rays .... which are more of an open water cruiser. Most of the time I've seen then cruising above coral at depths around the 50 foot level and occasionally off the wall at deeper depths.

Archived