6 ships in port...will Sea Grape Beach be crowded?

Morgan32

Hi everyone! We will be in Grand Cayman on the Mariner of the Seas on March 17th...along with people from 5 other ships that day! We've heard a lot about Sea Grape Beach & would like to go there. However, with so many ships in port (plus people staying the hotels), will Sea Grape Beach be super-crowded? I don't mind people, but I don't want to have to step all over others' towels and stuff to get to the water and back:)

Can someone please tell me how I find out how many other ships will be in port the day I am in Grand Cayman...thanks!

I imagine there's one site I can go to to look into this...please help!

Thanks...

And I too am curious about the crowds...

We were sat Sea Grape beach this past week - with 4 ships...it was VERY crowded. Grand Caymen is brown - almost all vegetation is dead. Water was warm and the stingrays were plentiful, but to be honest, the beach just wasn't much without all of the palms etc.

SeaGrape will probably be pretty crowded with 5 ships in. But SeaGrape is just a very very small area of 7 Mile Beach and has a bar.

You can catch a cab or bus from Georgetown to anywhere on 7 Mile Beach and have public access to the beach without any crowds. The whole of 7 Mile Beach has free access.

We were in GC last week, on Monday, went to 7 mile beach, (Sea Grape) we got there about 10am and you couldn't find a spot it was so crowded. When we got the taxi, I asked him to take us to Cementary beach, he said "how you get back, no taxi's?" that scared my husband, even though I had said we walk back about a half of a mile to the first hotel, cross the pool area back to the street, and there is a taxi stand (I read). There are NO ameneties of any type at Cementary beach. Sea Grapes food was pricey, too.

• 2 months later...

Just came back from GC 2 weeks ago...Seagrape was great!!! Staff were friendly...sand and water great. There were 6 ships in while we were there, but seagrape (at 7 mile) has so much space that it was fine. I think you can even buy the reduced package right when you get off the tender. Highly recommend renting a wave runner!!!

Have fun!

Do any hotels on 7 mile beach sell day passes to cruise ship passengers so you can use their chairs and pool?

The Hyatt sells day passes. $35 per person will get you use of their towels, chairs, pools, (with the little swim up pool bar) and beach. $15 of that will be credited toward food or beverage purchases.

We like a little elbow room when we're off the ship so the Hyatt was great for us!

If you could tell me a little more about the Hyatt- that would be great. I think that we are going to do that rather than a shore excusrion. ;) I'm not sure what else there is to tell me- but maybe a mini review?

We hopped into a taxi as we were leaving the ship, almost everyone got off at the public (free) beach. We asked the driver to take us to the Hyatt, his reply, why you go there, they won't let cruisers use their bathrooms, let alone their big beautiful hotel. (at this point dh is giving me the "it's hot and you better be right look") Since I had read about it on CC, we went ahead anyway. The taxi dropped us off at the Colony (right next door) since they aren't allowed to drop off right at the Hyatt.

We walked through an open air entrance, and headed back towards the beach. We were immediately approached by the nice man whose only job is to chase away cruisers who are trying to sneak in from the beach. I knew the bar was where we needed to get those day passes, so my dh headed that way.

Our day pass was good to check out towels (had I known that, I wouldn't have lugged ours from the ship). Turns out, this is how nice Mr. Security Guy knows who belongs and who doesn't, those cruise ship towels do stand out among a sea of lovely striped Hyatt towels. We went and found a whole row of chairs (empty) right on the shore. Dh rented a jet ski $65 for a half hour, he got a $20 coupon from the bar. It was a good thing we did this early, as later in the day the waves get bigger and they don't go out anymore.

We had some nice cocktails on the beach, and the kids swam in the pool. They have two, one has a little swim up bar, the other is closer to the hotel, and my kids were the only ones in it.:D We also shopped in their little gift shop, had I known the prices of t-shirts by the pier, I would have bought them there. Same prices, nice quality.

We had lunch on the outdoor patio, and before you know it, it was time to go. As we were waiting for dh to settle our tab, we were approached by a lady taxi driver, who had two people and was looking to fill her van. If she hadn't been there, there were taxis next door at the Colony.

It was a nice lazy day, with plenty of elbow room, which we prefer when we're off the ship.

ps it does become kind of fun watching people try to casually sneak up:D .

Lovemylife: Did you notice if the ferry was running to Rum Point from the Hyatt?? How much was the taxi to the Hyatt? What do you mean it only cost $20 pp and you got $15 back?? Did they give you the 15 in cash to do with as you please? Please answer, we leave in a week! Thanks.

What kind of beach chairs did the Hyatt have? Were they the uncomfortable plastic ones that sit right on the sand? How about Sea Grape? Anyone know what kind of chairs they have?

Kathy

I was at Sea Grape last week. The beach chairs are not the hard fiberglas S-shaped 'chairs' that sit directly on the sand. The chairs were the same as the ones on the Grand Princess; adjustable back with the blue 'plastic?' fabric. We paid $10US per chair and $5US for an umbrella. A bottle of water or a soda is included with each chair.

Regards,

Bobby

Richardson, Texas

Archived