Victory Christmas Cruise 2009 review

pjhootch

We really enjoyed the ship itself. We were on the Liberty last January, and although we liked the ship quite a bit we actually preferred the Victory this time around.

My daughter is the official ship "photo taker" and she loves to wander around and take photos while it is empty. I'll try to find some of her photos and borrow them to post.

We were missing many passengers (they said 600 the first night) at the beginning of the cruise, and the ship felt very empty. Honestly, although I felt for the people that weren't getting to San Juan, it was really enjoyable to have the ship uncrowded the first night.

Throughout the cruise, as we picked up our full passenger load, the ship never felt crowded. The only exception was the lido buffet line if we were silly enough to eat breakfast at the same time as everyone else. I think it was only an issue one morning for us.

The decor is fishy (grin) but I really like it. The Liberty was great at the time, but in comparison is a bit glitzy. I did stay out of the bar that was red and black because it looked a little much for me. Not a place where you want to overconsume alcohol... talk about the room spinning...:cool:

There were ALWAYS open lounge chairs on the Lido deck. Always. It didn't matter what time of day or if we were in or out of port. Because we were on the Southern Car. trip the weather was always warm/hot and humid so I wasn't very interested in getting in a hot tub. I understand why they keep the temps low in the hot tub because in the heat people would be passing out left and right if they were too hot. However, there were people using the hot tub a lot, but they were frequently empty enough to climb in if I'd wanted.

I know a lot of people are concerned about smoking on the ship. My husband and I smoke but I believe we're considerate about the rules and people around us. I noticed there were very few smokers on this cruise. I only saw one person smoking where they shouldn't be (port side of the sun deck)

The staff was consistently friendly and the cruise directer Karl was not irritating. I say this because the CD on the Liberty last year was loud, liked the sound of his own voice and whenever he was talking I felt like I had been transported to an episode of "The price is Right".

Archived