San Juan Duty Free

pitz0005

I have read in the past that people were able to get alcohol on board in San Juan from the Duty Free as long as it was out of sight. I have recently seen where someone received a red tag on their bag and was asked to put their alcohol on the table. Has anyone been on the Victory within the past couple weeks that can verify if this is a new trend or just one instance. Also is it possible to remove the red tag to avoid suspicion? If you are not into smuggling that is cool, but I am not looking for a lecture. I am only looking for people with recent first hand experience. Thanks for any info.

Does anyone know if you can buy alcohol at the duty free store before boarding the ship and put the alcohol in your checked luggage before embarkation? I've read that they allow you one bottle of wine to be packed in your luggage and I thought pehaps if I was able to buy the alcohol prior to checkinh my bags I could avoid the carry on fiasco that I've been reading about. Ordo you have to check your bags first, then enter the duty free shop?

We were able to do this on our september cruise without any problem and I saw dozens and dozens of people do this. I realize that that was a few months ago but I seriously doubt it has changed. There are more than a few shops in the terminal whose 95%business comes from people getting ready to board. I doubt they would want to shut these down.

You will not be able to get them into your checked baggage. Your checked bags are long gone before you get into the terminal since they are picked up at the unloading area near the street.

The reason that this is not an issue is because the security staff running the x-ray machines at the San Juan terminal are not Carnival employees. They work for the San Juan Port Authority and are happy to help support their local economy.

Keep in mind that this is only possible getting on in San Juan. At all the other ports, Carnival employees were screening the carry on bags. We were not able to get anything on at these locations.

Hope this helps

Upon further REview...

It does look like Carnival has gotten wise to the practice I mentioned in our experience. I just read a few post on the "all things Victory" thread that you now go through two sets of scanners when getting on at SJ.

Red tags are being applied by the carnival staff and those bags are opened and the alcohol removed. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Check out the "all things victory" thread. If I knew how to link the thread I would do so. sorry.

We are sailing on the Victory 1/17/2010...It sounds like it's true there will be no more smuggling of liquor in your carryon bag. I was hoping this was only over the holidays but I'm afraid it won't be. I'll update you all when I return.

I purchased Rum Runners & I'll be using them. I will also put it in my check luggage prior to heading to the port.

So sad.... :(

Sue

We are sailing on the Victory 1/17/2010...It sounds like it's true there will be no more smuggling of liquor in your carryon bag. I was hoping this was only over the holidays but I'm afraid it won't be. I'll update you all when I return.

I purchased Rum Runners & I'll be using them. I will also put it in my check luggage prior to heading to the port.

Sue

Sue, where are you planning on buying your liquor? in San Juan?

Steve

Sue, where are you planning on buying your liquor? in San Juan?

Steve

Hi,

We arrive the day before we set sail. I will purchase my liquor near my hotel in San Juan Corando area & put it in my luggage that I will give to the porters at the pier. I'll use the rum runners too. The 8 oz will be good to bring out to the pool deck to add additional shots to my tropical drinks that I will order or I'll mix my own. I'll also bring it off the ship onto the islands.

It's all good!

Sue

Hi,

We arrive the day before we set sail. I will purchase my liquor near my hotel in San Juan Corando area & put it in my luggage that I will give to the porters at the pier. I'll use the rum runners too. The 8 oz will be good to bring out to the pool deck to add additional shots to my tropical drinks that I will order or I'll mix my own. I'll also bring it off the ship onto the islands.

It's all good!

Sue

In addition to letting us know about the duty free situation, is there any way you could see if they have jameson at the store that you are going to? Thanks for the huge help

Steve

Sue

What are rum runners?

My opinion= I think that one bottle will be allowed- I truly believe that the cruiselines are trying to cut down the amount of bottles being carried on. When we cruised the Destiny out of San Juan I was amazed at the number of people trying to get 5-6 bottles onboard on carry ons.

My opinion= I think that one bottle will be allowed- I truly believe that the cruiselines are trying to cut down the amount of bottles being carried on. When we cruised the Destiny out of San Juan I was amazed at the number of people trying to get 5-6 bottles onboard on carry ons.

Maybe one bottle will be allowed on other cruises, but on ours it was not. I had a bottle of wine, and the man at the alcohol confiscation desk (:)) pulled it out and said that wine was okay. He then took my husband's bottle of Jack Daniels and said that hard alcohol was not allowed.

Many other cruisers around us had their one and only bottle removed as well.

Maybe one bottle will be allowed on other cruises, but on ours it was not. I had a bottle of wine, and the man at the alcohol confiscation desk (:)) pulled it out and said that wine was okay. He then took my husband's bottle of Jack Daniels and said that hard alcohol was not allowed.

Many other cruisers around us had their one and only bottle removed as well.

Is it true that there is some sort of 'tag' placed on the bag, that could be removed before going in front of the confiscation desk?

I've read that they allow you one bottle of wine to be packed in your luggage and I thought pehaps if I was able to buy the alcohol prior to checkinh ?

U will be able to carry on 2 bottles of wine thru security< there is a wine Cellar right across the street from the pier with some nice bottles of wine, there is also a small duty free store inside the terminal but if you were planning on putting them in your packed luggage, you cant, the store is after you check your luggage, also its safer just to carry the wine on, then take a chance of having it get broken in your suitcase.

I remember the day when you could walk right on with the bottle in plain site, they would sell Rum to you as you were in line waiting to go thru security at a tasting booth.

In November, we checked in, unpacked and took our empty carry on bag back down to duty free. We made our purchases, loaded them in the carry on and proceeded back to the room. They scanned our carry on and let us through without any question. Easy as can be.

If you fly in the day before there are stores both in Old San Juan

and "uptown" where you can buy liquor and put it in your luggage.

Am sure gonna miss buying it just before boarding and carrying it on.:mad:

I'm flying in morning of the cruise 12:30 arrival and will head stright to Old San Juan and the piers. I'm hoping to find a liqour store within walking distance of the piers I guess. Does anyone know if there is such a place in old San Juan? Perhaps a supermarket or Walgreens? Does anyone know approximate address of such?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

It's all good!

Sue

Our last June cruise we used rum runners on way down checked luggage- no problem (Tampa). At ports (twice) we tried rum runners in backpack and got confiscated. Next port shorts cargo pockets- they caught them all- got a stern look, and still allowed to go and carry on. Must depend on their mood of day or security crew member. Only idea is somehow

"down there for men" :o

Our last June cruise we used rum runners on way down checked luggage- no problem (Tampa). At ports (twice) we tried rum runners in backpack and got confiscated. Next port shorts cargo pockets- they caught them all- got a stern look, and still allowed to go and carry on. Must depend on their mood of day or security crew member. Only idea is somehow

"down there for men" :o

We are proud to say that rolls of fat are good for something. ;)We got bulges where their shouldn't be bulges :eek:and no bulges where there should be.:( Fill in the gaps and get dressed.:p Fat funny shaped people in their 50's and 60's like us, breeze right by.:cool:

Archived