which cave tubing?

tuzick1

Looking at Belize excursions for my trip on the Legend the first week of March, I see that Carnival is once again offering the tubing excursion.

Has anyone done this yet? Or is it too new. Price nonwithstanding, what did you think? Would appreciate any inputs.

Looking at Belize excursions for my trip on the Legend the first week of March, I see that Carnival is once again offering the tubing excursion.

Has anyone done this yet? Or is it too new. Price nonwithstanding, what did you think? Would appreciate any inputs.

cave-tubing.com...can't be beat

i too am interested in details of the carnival cave tubing escursion. i have been wrestling with this for a while now. i really wanted to do it but was hesitant going outside of carnival, but now that it's back, i may do it through them. does anyone know what company carnival uses?

I used cavetubing.bz

Vitalino was very hospitable. Vitalino Jr. (literally, his son) told us that Vitalino was one of the first cave tubing guides to explore the cave when the Jaguar Paw place was being built. So he has experience... and I think the Belize gov't is making sure that all the new guides are licensed or certified or whatever.

I guess, now that there are restrictions to how many tourists per guide, I suppose Carnival's excursion might be safe enough. It was a Carnival tour that had a fatal drowning last year.

The circumstances of that drowning was that there were 20+ tourists to one guide. The water was running fast, and a woman fell off her tube and drowned underneath the mass of people when two tours of 20+ people all got caught in a corner of one of the caves.

I really want to try this, but I get freaked out when it comes to snakes. I can't imagine how many are in that lazy ride. :eek:

I saw plenty of bats, but no snakes...and believe me, I was on the look-out for all forms of wildlife;)

Both websites say a hike is involved. How streneous is it and how long each way is the walk? I have some foot problems.

As I recall, it took about 45 minutes or so, maybe a little less. The conditions were less than ideal--muddy and extremely hot on the day we went. There is a very small path and several uphill areas. I am used to walking and it was a bit challenging for me. If you are in great shape, then no problem, but if you have foot issues, I would consider another excursion.

Anyone go with Jaguar Paw

Yes we did on New Year's Eve. I know it wasn't the tours fault that a party of seven arrived one hour late, but it really pushed back the schedule so that we arrived back at port with a whole 10 minutes to spare before the last scheduled tender.

If you are only cave tubing, be sure everyone on your bus is also only cave tubing. Otherwise you will wait for those who are also zip lining. They ended up pulling the party of seven (who were also the only one's who decided we had enough time to zip) off the course after three lines otherwise, we would not have made it back in time.

Also ask up front what cave you are tubing. They failed to mention until we were almost there that the normal cave was flooded and we would be in the "crystal cave". This was a significantly more difficult hike than the normal route (per those that had done the normal route previously) I still have two bruises from slipping and falling. The cave was nice and the lunch good, but the stress of running late and dealing with "rush hour" traffic negated any good feelings.

Ooooh we might have liked the crystal cave.

If you have foot problems, do something else. You get there & pick up your equipment. Then you wade across a fairly fast moving river holding all your stuff & a rope line for safety. To get out you have to catch that rope, stand up & pull yourself out of the water. I needed help.

I enjoyed our experience but I'm glad I went with my DH, a marine, & a bunch of college guys. It was nice to have all that extra help. The climb / walk wasn't toooo bad but if it had been muddy I could see where it would be far more trecherous. Also if it had been hot I would not have wanted to take that trek w/o water but nobody offered any or suggested that we suply our own.

I liked the ruggedness of the adventure but my observations were that companies other than cavetubing.com seemed more concerned about safety. I never felt in danger & our guides, Alex & Byron, were great but other vendors had hi-tech tubes with handles, ropes with D rings, life vests & hard hats. We had black tire inner tubes, lights & guides who carried some extra old school orange life jackets. We did enjoy a longer tour than others; we floated through 2 caves not just one & they were very knowledgable about the country providing a nice tour though town & info about the flaura 7 fauna along the trail. Also Byron needs to give up being a tour guide & take up race car driving. He drives soooooo Fast. That was a bit scarier than the float down river. :eek:

So I see slight different times, but are we talking 45 min - 1 hr drive each way, plus 25-45 minute hike each way, and then maybe 10-15 minutes of "instruction"? So really, 2.5 - 3.5 hours of travel time?

How long is the actual tubing part of the tour?

Thanks!

we went with ***********************. Our guides Bernie and Eric were GREAT! Both very friendly and knowledgeable. Dennis, the owner of the company, went above and beyond helping two ladies (who had missed the sailing in miami but were flown to Belize on the airline's dime, who made them late) get their stuff to the ship. All the cave tubing companies go to the same place ... the only difference is the guides (and maybe price). I whole-heartedly endorse ***********************.

oops ... looks like i've been censored. go to TripAdvisor to see what the highest rated cave tubing is. :-)

How long is the actual tubing part of the tour?

I doubt it was even an hour. Don't know for sure . . . didn't wear a watch.

nashvillepastrychef / Mike if you write the name of the company without the .com or spell dot com you won't get censored. Also substitute a 1 for an i & the computer won't pick up on it either.

We went Cave Tubing in Belize on 12/21/2009.

We did not book through Carnival, but used shore trips dot com.

It was very nice that as soon as we exited our tender, we were able to

locate the tour guide. He took us right to the van, and off we went.

We loved our guide Henry, who is very well spoken and knowledgeable

about Belize, not just the area, but about the government and people.

During the walk to enter the river, he pointed out a variety of plants

and their unique characteristics. We had two teenagers with us, and

they both were impressed by Henry. The walk was actually easier than

I expected (thank goodness) and the trip through the caves was

fabulous. Henry used the van as our locker and the restroom/changing

facilities at the park were very nice and clean, which we are all

grateful for. Henry paid attention to the time too, so that we were back to port with enough time for a little shopping without worry of missing the last tender to the ship.

My husband and I are looking at doing the cave tubing and ATV jungle tour combo offered through cave-tubing.com Anyone else done this combo? And if so how did you like it?

We've done it. One year we just did the cave tubing part. Two years ago we also did the ATV tour. Both were great. One thing - I thought the ATV part would be on dry rainforest ground - it's not, it's through mud, so be prepared to get muddy. The trails were great and it was very very safe. I'd never driven one before like that and got stuck several times - the guides had to fish me out. The first year we did cave tubing - it was MUCH better with Yhony (cave tubing.com) than through the ship - many less people and better guide/tuber ratio. I know others who have used different groups - and they may be great, but I'd use Yhony again in a second because I've used him twice and he was great.Yhony and his group built the ATV trails themselves.

We used cave-tubing dot com in 1st week of January and they were great. Prety easy walk and fun. Bus ride of an hour or so which was entertaining!

Only thing I didn't like was that they take you by bus to their own area after you are done tubing (by their ATV's, so you are not in the same area as the other tours (could be good if it's very busy maybe). Not sure what we missed though as we only walked by the main area on the way to tubing

Highly recommend going with Major Tom. Very professional & knowledgeable & they'll make sure you don't miss the tenders. As for how physical it is: if you do zip lining, you're going to hike UP a bit, and climb about 100 "stairs" in the sides of the rainforest. It made me a bit winded on the way up, but wasn't TERRIBLE. The walk to the caves took 40 minutes or so, but was not hard at all, even carrying the tube and head light. The only challenging part there was the walk ACROSS the river using the rope (it's strung across, and you hold on for dear life & go hand over hand to the other side. The current is strong... so I'd recommend going on the back side of the rope and walking facing the rope, side stepping with both hands on the rope, rather than just one. If you lose your grip... good luck!! lol)

Highly recommend going with Major Tom. Very professional & knowledgeable & they'll make sure you don't miss the tenders. As for how physical it is: if you do zip lining, you're going to hike UP a bit, and climb about 100 "stairs" in the sides of the rainforest. It made me a bit winded on the way up, but wasn't TERRIBLE. The walk to the caves took 40 minutes or so, but was not hard at all, even carrying the tube and head light. The only challenging part there was the walk ACROSS the river using the rope (it's strung across, and you hold on for dear life & go hand over hand to the other side. The current is strong... so I'd recommend going on the back side of the rope and walking facing the rope, side stepping with both hands on the rope, rather than just one. If you lose your grip... good luck!! lol)

How did you contact Major Tom? Trying to research a few more ideas for some of us.....THANKS!

We went cave tubing last week on the Valor. I would HIGHLY recommend cave tubing dot com. We had awesome guides and had a really fun time! This company lets you float down river in the sunshine for 10-15 mins after you get out of the cave which some companies don't.

My only reccomendation is that if you are prone to getting bug bites, wear some bug spray before the walk in the jungle. Its about a 30 min walk...... in your bathing suit.......

Have Fun!

Archived