Do-It-Yourself Cadiz

Please help by sharing your information with other Cruise Critics. Cadiz sounds like a perfect place to explore the city center and maybe take an out-of-town excursion.

I’ve looked at a number of shore excursion packages and made some lists of what might be seen. Any recommendations on seeing these places on your own? or others?

Some important considerations could be:

Distance from the port to the city center

Distance from port to out-of-town locations

Local bus, taxi, or car rental services

Admission Fees

Open/Closed days of the week

Suitablity for those with limited mobility

Suggestions for shopping and dining

City Center:

• Mudejar-style tobacco factory which now serves as the Congress building
  • Santo Domingo Church
  • Royal Prison
  • Roman Theatre
  • Ancient Phoenician port of La Caletas
  • Botanical gardens
  • Castle walls
  • Plaza de la Mina
  • Cádiz Museum
  • Calle Ancha

Out-of-Town:

• Jerez de la Frontera
  • Royal Andaslusia School of Equestrian Arts
  • Seville (2 hours ride each way)

The city of Cadiz is within walking distance 5 to 10 minute of the port or a taxi can drop you off . It is a great "shopping" town , tons of leather shops, shoes etc. Infact I think it was the best town for shopping on the Med cruise we were on with prices very reasonable. Lots of street musicians and people and outdoor cafes etc. Really a neat town and very easy to do on your own.

Hopefully your ship will dock overnight so you can spend one day seeing Seville then the next in Cadiz.

If you want you can hire a taxi right at the port ( they post their prices on a board )..to take you to Seville ( that was about 350 EU) or a city tour of Cadiz ( that was about 30 EU ) cars hold 4 plus driver so can split costs with another couple

It is about an hourand 1/2 away to Seville and VERY worthwhile to see ( also an easy city to wander around).. all the attractions are in the same place ..so easy.

Jerez tour is usually a walking tour of the town and then to the sherry winery tour ( where you will get a small taste and then be taken to their store to buy)..to us wan't that great of a tour ( which is one we did with a ship tour many years ago)

I almost spit up my coffee when I saw how much Claudia paid to get to Seville. Maybe she will adopt me (please???) :)

LOL....There were 4 of us .. in private car with him taking us everywhere we wanted to go. Yes, pricey but.. was absolutley worth it.. plus we had someone who knew where everything was , we had never been there. Big plus had a trunk to put our shopping goodies in . Sure could have taken train for next to nothing........but then who was going to carry all the stuff we bought ;-) By the way... the Ship cost for their drop off in center of Seville and pick up late in the day was about $99.00 per person.

I agree with Claudia. I hope your ship overnights in Cadiz so that you can go to Seville on the first day. The train station is an easy 5 minute walk from the dock and I think the fare was about 15 euro's round trip. If you only have one day in Cadiz, it could be dicey going that far depending on what time your ship sails.

If you overnight, definitely have dinner in Cadiz, we ate at Fado, which was fantastic. I don't recall if we walked or took a quick taxi ride.

As Claudia said, shopping is great in Cadiz and we found things there were a lot less than in other places. Espadrilles were $30. in Barcelona and $10. in Cadiz. It's a small, safe and easy little town to navigate on your own.

Our ship had transport to/from Seville on the first day for about $70 pp, and unfortunately, one of the buses had broken airconditioning. People were no happy as the temps were near 100 degree's. Train is easy and you're on your own time schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car in Cadiz and drove to Seville for the day. It was one of the highlights of our cruise. Was easy drive there and back, mostly "interstate" style toll road. We shared car with another couple, I think it was about 100 Euros total for the rental and fuel. We rented the largest vehicle we could, think it was a Citroen.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

If you only have one day in Cadiz you might want to just stay there and enjoy the town. Ships dock right alongside the old town.

You could probably also squeeze in a side trip to El Puerto de Santa Maria which is close and reached by short ferry crossing (the quickest if the timetable works for you), bus or train. Pretty little seaside town.

Jerez can be done by bus or train. Journey times are almost identical as the train takes a big loop. See the horses, taste the sherry.

Archived