Belize Zoo - Private company tour?

renchow

Has anyone gone to the Belize Zoo on their own or through a private tour company rather than through the ship? If so, what did you do (or whom did you book)? how was the experience and what was the cost? Just wondering if there'd be a cheaper yet reliable option for going to the zoo than the ship's $59 excursion (which does include a city tour). We wouldn't mind seeing the city, but don't have to. If anyone has gone on the "Belize Zoo and Monkey Bay" tour through Coral Breeze, could you please provide review? Thanks!!

Has anyone gone to the Belize Zoo on their own or through a private tour company rather than through the ship? If so, what did you do (or whom did you book)? how was the experience and what was the cost? Just wondering if there'd be a cheaper yet reliable option for going to the zoo than the ship's $59 excursion (which does include a city tour). We wouldn't mind seeing the city, but don't have to. If anyone has gone on the "Belize Zoo and Monkey Bay" tour through Coral Breeze, could you please provide review? Thanks!!

I saw a recommendation for Nacho and Cindy in Belize. I finally found them and have e-mailed them about a private tour sort of like the Victor Bodden tour in Roatan.

I will post more info once I hear back.

Here is their link:

http://www.ncqadventuretours.com/guides.html

• 2 months later...

Hi, Just returned Sunday we were on the Carnival Legend and booked with Coral Breeze for Zoo tour and Monkey Bay. Well they zoo tour was great! We paid extra to interact with Junior the jaguar it was a great experiance! Now the Monkey Bay part was a different story! When I booked it I should have looked at the pictures more carefully, we thought we were going to some place like a beach lake etc. We left the zoo traveled a few miles down the road and turned downed a one lane road that had a big sign Monkey Bay well we followed a bumpy dirt road about a mile into the forest that ended at a river. There was a car blocking the end of the road but no one was around. You are in the middle of no where and this made my brother inlaw very nervous he did'nt like the idea of us getting out, there was no way to turn the van around if this was going to end up a bad sitiuation and would be very difficult to back that van all the way back up that bumpy dirt road. The tour guy explained probaly the car had broken down and someone left it there. So we got out, but were on high alert and decided we should only stay a few minutes. The tour guy brought out the cooler handed out salsa and chips that was the lunch not what was on the tour description. I had no intentions of eating any of it after the tour guide had told us repeadatly not to drink or eat anything anywhere in Belize if bottled water was used. Anyway a few minutes go by and coming down the river are 4 men in tubes carrying rifles! Well we found out whose car was blocking the road! The only thoughts my sister and I had was this is it were done for! Our guide asked if they came in peace I don"t know if it was a joke or not but I was sweating! Fourtunatly for us they did come in peace, but I know I do not what to be in that position ever again! In hindsight we should have not gotten out of the van and turned back, should have followed my brother in law's instinct!

Sorry to hear about your experience in Belize; it sounds as if your group feared for their life? If I were U, I would request (make that demand!!) at least a partial refund from Coral Breeze since U didn't get what U paid for. Tell them U are going to let everybody on Cruise Critic know what happened to U and that you cannot recommend their company!!!

QUESTION: Has anybody used: Ecological Tours & Services for a tour in Belize? Comments on this company please.

Just returned Sunday we were on the Carnival Legend and booked with Coral Breeze for Zoo tour and Monkey Bay.......... The tour guy brought out the cooler handed out salsa and chips that was the lunch not what was on the tour description.
Edited by jtoniva

• 1 year later...

DH and I just went to the Belize zoo and a city highlights tour with a private guide, Ivar Marcheson, pbuay@yahoo.com

Ivar was wonderful- very personable and very knowledgable; he provided us with lots of information about Belize and answered all of my questions about the country and its people.

Ivar, a avid bird-watcher, gave us a great tour of the zoo. All in all a very satisfying tour.

• 4 years later...

Having been to Belize before with my wife, I wanted something more family oriented and so I also booked Ivar Marcheson to take us and our daughter and two grandchildren (ages 8 and 9) to the Belize Zoo. This little gem of a Zoo was made all the more special by Ivar, who is quite the naturalist and well educated in all of the animals and ecology of the area where he guided us. He did especially well with my granddaughters - engaging them in the tour of the zoo by making calls to the different animals. I was very impressed with his knowledge and his professionalism. Having had bad experiences before when booking "on the fly" from operators at the ports of call, it was a total delight to be accompanied by Ivar and I have no hesitation on recommending him. My visit was mid March, 2015.

Used Belize exotic adventure and Nickoli, owner, was our out standing guide. Loved the zoo. Nickoli was familiar with all the animals, knew where they hung out so we saw everyone. Petting and feeding the tabirs was a favorite. The tou included bottled water, lunch at the zoo which was very good, and a city tour going out and returning to the ship. I highly recommend not only the zoo but exotic adventures--family owned and operated.

• 2 months later...
DH and I just went to the Belize zoo and a city highlights tour with a private guide, Ivar Marcheson, pbuay@yahoo.com

Ivar was wonderful- very personable and very knowledgable; he provided us with lots of information about Belize and answered all of my questions about the country and its people.

Ivar, a avid bird-watcher, gave us a great tour of the zoo. All in all a very satisfying tour.

Is Ivar with a company or does he work solo? I will be traveling with my husband and little girls, ages 3, 5, & 7.

Thanks!