Scuba with Cozumel Sports - looking for reviews

mysparky

We're very interested in taking a private or semi-private Discover Scuba course while in Cozumel. I've come across an operator- Eduardo from Cozumel Sports (not to be confused with Cozumel Water Sports) and all of his reviews on Trip Advisor are very positive. When possible, I like to find references from more than one source and I haven't had any luck finding information on Cozumel Sports on these boards.

Does anyone have experience with Cozumel Sports? Even better, anyone that took the Discover Scuba tour with Eduardo?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be taking this Discover Scuba with Eduardo a few days before you so I could let you know. I generally trust TripAdvisor's reviews if the person submitting has made several contributions(reviews) in other locations than the port I am looking at. Almost sounds too good to be true huh. Anyway I made my deposit. Would love to hear more too if anybody else knows.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I didn't get back with you in time. I'll use the excuse that I ran out of my budgeted minutes in the on board internet cafe. I know you have already been to Cozumel, but I thought I would add my two cents for those who may read this post later.

We wound up being the only people who booked with Eduardo when we arrived, and so our tour was actually a private tour. Their boat will only carry about 6 - 8 people plus a Eduardo the dive instructor, and the 'Captain' Manolo, so you are guaranteed to not be herded around like cattle on this excursion.

I have to say I was a lot more nervous about scuba diving than my wife was, but I was counting on the fact that Eduardo is very trained, even in rescue diving. I have taken in a couple lung fulls of salt water while snorkeling in the past. Glad I didn't see that training pay off, but he was very patient with all my questions as he trained us how to use the equipment in the boat before leaving the marina. Then he took us to a beach nearby where we practiced our skills in the surf. The waves were a little high that day and it was somewhat difficult keeping balance while practicing in the shallows, but once we got under water things started getting easier and easier.

We did two dives after training, and on the first one after leaving the beach there, a huge school of bar jack fish slowly swam past us. He led us as we followed them slowly. They stopped and we crept towards them as they parted swam around us, and grouped behind us. It was like the school of fish on finding Nemo - thousands of them it seemed. He pointed out several other fish and mentioned their names after the first dive.

On the second dive, we saw more coral formations, and he pulled out a magnifying glass for us to inspect this spiral looking underwater flower thing. He showed us how it would disappear into its shell when you touch or get close to it, and waited for both of us to try. We didn't see as many fish, but he said that seeing a school of fish like our first dive is not very common.

Both dives were on Paradise Reef, between the two main cruise ports. I heard there were better dive sites, but being a little nervous, I asked Eduardo to take us wherever he thought it would be safe to learn.

Next time I will go back and get certified and check out some more advanced and more spectacular locations. His rates were really reasonable, especially when you consider it is basically a private dive. During the second dive, I looked up and saw a herd of snorkelers passing 20-25 ft above us. I know they were jealous!

Anyway I'm very glad we went with Eduardo and Cozumel Sports. It was the best excursion I have ever taken from a cruise boat.

P.S. when you read Tripadvisor reports or reviews, notice how many contributions a reviewer has made. If they have only made one or two, and they are both from the same travel destination, you can suspect them. If they have made many contributions from several destinations in multiple continents . . . that's not a tour operator pumping up his business. You'll find my report there.

Chad

Thanks for coming back and posting a review.

P.S. when you read Tripadvisor reports or reviews, notice how many contributions a reviewer has made. If they have only made one or two, and they are both from the same travel destination, you can suspect them. If they have made many contributions from several destinations in multiple continents . . . that's not a tour operator pumping up his business. You'll find my report there.

Chad

That's excellent advice.

Chad -

We're also back from our trip and very much enjoyed our dive with Eduardo. We thought his instruction was very clear and he seemed very safety conscious. We saw several eels but also saw incredibly huge schools of fish. It was very cool!

• 6 years later...

x.gif Reviewed March 3, 2016

Eduardo has been our "GOTO GUY" since 2004. From our first Discover scuba in 2004 to our latest certified dive on March 3 2016, Eduardo has always had our backs, making sure we are Comfortable and Safe before, during and after our dives. In 2006 we took our teenage boys on a discover scuba and they still rave about it.