Timing of touring Saint John, NB

Can some one please help me with the timing of our visit to Saint John?

We are a family of 4 (DS 12 and 6) who will be visiting June 16th from 8 am - 4 pm. I have read many threads on this subject, but cannot seem to get enough information about the times, distances and relationships between our interests to figure this own my own.:o

I have already checked the tide chart and found that low tide for Reversing Falls is at 12:39 p.m. We would also like to tour the Fundy Trail Parkway, St. Martin and the sea caves - but I understand there is about an hour drive between the Reversing Falls and the sea caves. I do not know different the tide will be between the places.

I think renting a car would be the way to go, and I have tentatively booked with Avis - but it does have the 150 k limit; will we drive more than that?

Can anybody recommend the best way to tour given the above information? And should we try to incorporate a boat ride anywhere such as the falls?

I really appreciate any help you can give.

Can some one please help me with the timing of our visit to Saint John?

We are a family of 4 (DS 12 and 6) who will be visiting June 16th from 8 am - 4 pm. I have read many threads on this subject, but cannot seem to get enough information about the times, distances and relationships between our interests to figure this own my own.:o

I have already checked the tide chart and found that low tide for Reversing Falls is at 12:39 p.m. We would also like to tour the Fundy Trail Parkway, St. Martin and the sea caves - but I understand there is about an hour drive between the Reversing Falls and the sea caves. I do not know different the tide will be between the places.

I think renting a car would be the way to go, and I have tentatively booked with Avis - but it does have the 150 k limit; will we drive more than that?

Can anybody recommend the best way to tour given the above information? And should we try to incorporate a boat ride anywhere such as the falls?

I really appreciate any help you can give.

You will want to walk out to the caves on a falling tide rather than a rising tide. Generally speaking it can be done two hours before low tide and you would want to be clear of the beach by two hours after low tide. It may look safe to go later than that but the tide can fill in between you and the beach before you know what happened.

The Tidal difference between The Falls and St. Martins would not be apparent to a casual observer.

150 klicks would be about 90 miles. St. Martins would be about 30 miles from Saint John. It would be about 4 miles from Avis to the Falls and back to the Highway 1. The Fundy Trail Parkway is about a 10 minute drive from St. Martins----not sure about the mileage but would guess about 10----that is just to the start of the Trail. There are parking lots along the trail where you can park and walk along the paved trail and there are several areas with stairs down to the beach area.

If you just wanted to do St. Martins and the Falls you would be within your mileage allowance. Adding the Trail would be cutting it very close.

As well as the caves in St. Martins you should ask directions to the lighthouse as it is a nice little side trip. Also there are two covered bridges in the town and it is possible to get them both in the same photograph. They are right beside the small harbour where the fishing boats bottom out at low tide so it makes for a lovely shot.

Here is the link for the Reversing Falls Jet Boat Ride.

http://www.jetboatrides.com/

The wildest ride would be at low tide.

For those less adventurous souls they also have a sightseeing tour around the harbour that only pokes its nose into the falls area.

It is too bad that the timing of low tide falls midday as it makes seeing both attractions at low tide difficult. With low tide at 12:30, high tide will be about 6:30 and that makes mid afternoon the period of slack tide where the harbour and the river are at the same level so there is not much to see at the falls. At slack tide there is a 20 minute window when pleasure boats can pass through the falls. (I have done it).

If you choose to just do the Falls, don't bother with a car. Just cab it or you can walk to the Falls from the ship along the Harbour Passage in about 35 minutes from Long Wharf and 45 minutes from Pugsley.

Saint John is a very old city and the streets are laid out very higgledy piggledy with many one way and dead end adventures. Street signs are very small and hard to see until you are upon them. We have very few large overhead signs and many intersections that are only understood by those who live here.

Similarily, walking uptown to the shops and City Market is easily done from either dock. The New Brunswick Museum in Market Square is very popular with kids. If it is a miserable foggy, rainy day as it often is in June, the kids would enjoy swimming at the Aquatic Centre which is located between Market Square and Brunswick Square---a short walk from either dock. http://www.aquatics.nb.ca/cgac/

We rented a car there in the fall and everything was very easy to navigate. We were able to see all of the above, but the tide was also mid day so we didn't see the falls at full tide. It is definitely a walkable distance if you decide to just see the falls, as sapper mentioned.

You will want to walk out to the caves on a falling tide rather than a rising tide. Generally speaking it can be done two hours before low tide and you would want to be clear of the beach by two hours after low tide. It may look safe to go later than that but the tide can fill in between you and the beach before you know what happened.

The Tidal difference between The Falls and St. Martins would not be apparent to a casual observer.

150 klicks would be about 90 miles. St. Martins would be about 30 miles from Saint John. It would be about 4 miles from Avis to the Falls and back to the Highway 1. The Fundy Trail Parkway is about a 10 minute drive from St. Martins----not sure about the mileage but would guess about 10----that is just to the start of the Trail. There are parking lots along the trail where you can park and walk along the paved trail and there are several areas with stairs down to the beach area.

If you just wanted to do St. Martins and the Falls you would be within your mileage allowance. Adding the Trail would be cutting it very close.

As well as the caves in St. Martins you should ask directions to the lighthouse as it is a nice little side trip. Also there are two covered bridges in the town and it is possible to get them both in the same photograph. They are right beside the small harbour where the fishing boats bottom out at low tide so it makes for a lovely shot.

Here is the link for the Reversing Falls Jet Boat Ride.

http://www.jetboatrides.com/

The wildest ride would be at low tide.

For those less adventurous souls they also have a sightseeing tour around the harbour that only pokes its nose into the falls area.

It is too bad that the timing of low tide falls midday as it makes seeing both attractions at low tide difficult. With low tide at 12:30, high tide will be about 6:30 and that makes mid afternoon the period of slack tide where the harbour and the river are at the same level so there is not much to see at the falls. At slack tide there is a 20 minute window when pleasure boats can pass through the falls. (I have done it).

If you choose to just do the Falls, don't bother with a car. Just cab it or you can walk to the Falls from the ship along the Harbour Passage in about 35 minutes from Long Wharf and 45 minutes from Pugsley.

Saint John is a very old city and the streets are laid out very higgledy piggledy with many one way and dead end adventures. Street signs are very small and hard to see until you are upon them. We have very few large overhead signs and many intersections that are only understood by those who live here.

Similarily, walking uptown to the shops and City Market is easily done from either dock. The New Brunswick Museum in Market Square is very popular with kids. If it is a miserable foggy, rainy day as it often is in June, the kids would enjoy swimming at the Aquatic Centre which is located between Market Square and Brunswick Square---a short walk from either dock. http://www.aquatics.nb.ca/cgac/

Thanks for all the information. I think my boys would enjoy the sea caves and St. Martin as well as the Fundy trail more than the reversing falls, unless we opted for a jet boat ride and it doesn't look like that and the sea caves will be possible in the same trip. I am not that concerned about going over the mileage allowance, especially if it is close.

If I am reading your email correctly, it looks like the best thing for us to do would be to grab the car and head up to the sea caves, and the see St. Martin and then head to the trail (the trail is farther from the pier than St. Martin?)? Does that sound like a good plan?

Any place you would recommend to grab lunch along the way?

Again, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for all the information. I think my boys would enjoy the sea caves and St. Martin as well as the Fundy trail more than the reversing falls, unless we opted for a jet boat ride and it doesn't look like that and the sea caves will be possible in the same trip. I am not that concerned about going over the mileage allowance, especially if it is close.

If I am reading your email correctly, it looks like the best thing for us to do would be to grab the car and head up to the sea caves, and the see St. Martin and then head to the trail (the trail is farther from the pier than St. Martin?)? Does that sound like a good plan?

Any place you would recommend to grab lunch along the way?

Again, thanks for the reply.

You will come to St. Martins before you come to the Fundy Trail so the answer to your question is "yes". St. Martins is a small village so if you get to the caves before the tide has ebbed enough for you to walk out, you can park in the parking lot (free) and walk back up to the bridges and harbour area. There is a restaurant on the beach by the caves. Actually it is their parking lot. It is rustic but the food is good.

You will want to wear sneakers to walk out to the caves. The beach is rocky and you will want to be sure footed. You will get little rocks between your toes in sandals and you may twist an ankle. About halfway out you will encounter a little brook (about six inches deep and six feet wide). If you look, there will be a sturdy plank at some point along its length and you can use it to cross so you won't get your feet wet. There is no charge to walk out to the caves. They are just "there".

There used to be a miniature horse farm in St. Martins and they welcomed visitors. I don't know if they are still there but if you are interested, just ask anyone and they will point you in the right direction. People are very friendly and approachable in the Maritimes, especially in the small towns.

Archived