Discover Scuba vs. Snorkel in Bonaire plus other Q's

Embracedbylife

Which do you think is better? Discover Scuba in Bonaire or Snorkeling on our own in Bonaire? We have the PADI books at home and can study before going as we were suppose to complete certification on a past cruise but didn't finish because of time constraints. I hear Bonaire is the best place to dive. Is it worth it to try the Discover Scuba in Bonaire or just do snorkeling on our own?

Also, Which ports are best for snorkeling? Grenanda, Dominica, St. Thomas?

thanks!

I havent been to Bonaire....But from what I hear and have read, it is a dive spot not to be missed. I would recommend getting certified before going on your cruise so that you can dive, instead of being tied up in training. You can also do a discover scuba on another island, be sure to keep the discover scuba card they give you and you can dive at other islands on the same cruise. My sister did this in St Thomas with Coki Dive club....and she went diving with me in Grenada too. I have gone diving in those three ports (Grenada, Dominica, and St Thomas) As far as snorkelling goes, out of those choices, I would say St Thomas is your best bet.

I've never actually dove before, so do you think it's worth waiting with 12 other people to get instructions and then get in the water for only about 45 mins to dive than to go to a beach and spend the day snorkeling? I just wanna get the most bang for my time. Thanks again for everyone's input!

What about doing the discover course in say....ST Thomas....its a quick and easy crash course....then you do a beach dive......(dont forget to ask for and keep your discover scuba card. Then when you go to Bonaire there is no waiting and you can do a two tank boat dive. I only say St Thomas because I know its quick and easy and thats where my sister did it when she cruised with me. She had never dove before either.

I will add that Coki Dive at Coki Beach on St Thomas is a great place for a shore dive or discover scuba--lots to see, easy entry, a short cab ride to the ship, $10. for a tank and weights if you're certified, at least; that's what it was when we went several years ago. WAAAAY worth it!!

$10 for a tank and weights?? Your kidding me right? I was there in 2006 and did 2 shore dives. I dont remember what I paid. Maybe $60 bucks or so......but I know it wasnt $10, and was certified at that time too. They picked us up at the ship....but we had to pay for the cab back which was $8 per person.

Thanks Dgonza for the idea, but we go to Bonaire before St. Thomas! Still not sure what to do at this point. I just hate the idea of wasting time doign the cert. course and hear how pretty St. John is, and then some saying how the coral around the ships is gone b/c of weather. I'm so confused!

Go with your gut. I have been to Bonaire 2 times and the snorkeling is amazing, so much to see in relatively shallow water. I would definately spend the time in Bonaire snorkeling and spending as much time as you can underwater! Then take a scuba class further along in your cruise. To maximize your time, you might consider heading to Klein Bonaire in the morning and then going to a local beach and snorkel from shore in the afternoon. Have fun!

Archived