Xunantunich through Carnival?

erinmarie424

We will be on the Legend in April and really would like to see Xunantunich. I've decided that we should do this excursion through Carnival due to the lengthy travel time to and from the site it seems like it is worth the extra $$. My questions for anyone who has taken this excursion in the past - the description says that they provide a "local lunch" - what would that be? I'm just thinking I might need to throw a couple energy bars in our backpack if it's not very substantial. Also, what is the bus transportation like? And third, does the excursion allow for any extra time at the port area or do you have to rush on the bus and back on the boat when it returns?

Thanks in advance!

Erin

We will be on the Legend in April and really would like to see Xunantunich. I've decided that we should do this excursion through Carnival due to the lengthy travel time to and from the site it seems like it is worth the extra $$. My questions for anyone who has taken this excursion in the past - the description says that they provide a "local lunch" - what would that be? I'm just thinking I might need to throw a couple energy bars in our backpack if it's not very substantial. Also, what is the bus transportation like? And third, does the excursion allow for any extra time at the port area or do you have to rush on the bus and back on the boat when it returns?

Thanks in advance!

Erin

DW and I did this excursion from the Legend in December. We were on the first tender off the ship (went over with the Legend's photo staff) and were on the bus to the ruins about 10 minutes after getting into port. The drive is about 1:30 hours each way and a little bumpy, because once you are out of Belize City there are speed bumps in the road in town areas.

Our tour guide talked the whole way out, about the country, the Mayan people, what we were seeing, etc. Very informative and answered a lot of questions.

Lunch is in San Miguel (I think that was the name of the town) which is 5 miles from the ruins after the tour. We stopped at a restaurant, had Chicken, rice and beans, coleslaw, and a drink plus tried some cashew wine. The chicken was delicious.

We got back about 3:30 to the pier area and had about 30 minutes to shop before taking a tender back.

Included is a picture of the lunch. Hope this helps.

168.jpg.93249c5b718a109231ff73a69a0dd569.jpg

'local lunch' or 'local meal' in Belize almost always means stewed chicken with rice & beans or stewed chicken with beans & rice. :p There is always Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce on the tables to season the food with. If beef is offered as an alternative for some reason- never take it- always stick with the chicken. This is not a country known for its large bovine population!!

Like in the photo above, you may get some sort of 'salad', these are usually interesting and worth a taste.

Beer is Belekin Beer, alternatively Coke or Orange Soda from glass bottle. All water offered will be bottled. Or in a factory-sealed plastic baggie- but that is unlikely on a ships tour. :p

The prices at the very small maybe 10 stall shopping area at the ferry area at Xunantunich are much better than in Belize City. Do your shopping here, and keep an eye out for the Guatemalan/Mayan ladies selling textiles- like placemats etc. You are very close to the Guatemala border at Xunantunich, and this is an excellent spot to pick up these items. Also, look for interesting handmade necklaces out of natural materials- nuts/pods/etc.

We did that excursion in Oct when we were there on the Valor and loved it. the food was excellent. Be sure to buy some of the Hot Sauces GREAT!. When we went we got back to the dock just in time, never had a chance to shop. But will be back in just over 2 weeks so will shop then.

For lunch, The town is San Ignacio, the place we ate at was Hodes. Outside under trellis if weather is nice. Ice Cream available for separate purchase. Sometimes they have strolling muscians.

There is a small snack bar at the ruins site, if you're hungry. But eat a good breakfast on the ship in the morning and the lunch will be filling enough.

Nice tour, even with the length. Enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

How was the bus for the excursion? I understand the roads are pretty bumpy but was the bus itself comfortable, or was it of the 'yellow' variety? We've booked through Carnival and there are supposed to be restrooms on board...true or false? This could be the dealbreaker right here folks!

Thanks!

How was the bus for the excursion? I understand the roads are pretty bumpy but was the bus itself comfortable' date=' or was it of the 'yellow' variety? We've booked through Carnival and there are supposed to be restrooms on board...true or false? This could be the dealbreaker right here folks!

Thanks![/quote']

We had a normal "tour" bus with soft seats that reclined and a bathroom in the back. The road is paved so not too bumpy.

The bus was comfortable enough. Kind of older model greyhound variety - better than school bus. Yes there was a bathroom - "number one only!" that is what we were told. LOL. Bathrooms were also first stop after crossing ferry, before proceeding up to ruins.

Lunch was in San Ignacio, typical rice, beans chicken...tasty though.

We had two slight incidents on our way back to port that involved some extra time and a stop at a pharmacy for extra first aid supplies, so we did not get back to port until a few minutes before 5pm. Last tender was at 4:15 :eek: so we were hustled through to the waiting tender and zipped off. This is when I was glad I was on a ships excursion. No time for shopping in port. Been there several times so no big deal for me. Opportunities for shopping also at ruins, at the ferry, and at lunch as well.

Thanks crewsweeper & BigRed...exactly what I was looking for (and more), lol. Good to know I won't have to forego my cup of coffee! We usually don't book ship excursions but thought for Belize, it would be silly not too. Especially because of unexpected delays like you've mentioned.

I'm happy to hear I can get in some shopping at a couple of different places...not too interested in the usual tourist stuff. We try to purchase local art or handcrafted items.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info. We too are looking at this tour as we will be in Belize for 10 hours and from my research you either stay at the port, or take an excursion with Carnival. We usually just go on our own, but for Belize we will go with Carnival.

Archived