Packing for New England/Canada

makeup face

Mrs. Moose are you referring to a cruise to Quebec City. I received the info for 2006 from Kingston. The cost is very high compared to other trips. The weather here in Southwestern ontario had taken quite a dip today. Fall is here. Montreal is a great city to visit and shop...haven't had the opportunity of late but in the future.....Regards.

Hi again,

I think the fall colors cruise would be fun.

How great to get off the ship in the Old Port & practicly walk home?

We have been to New foundland once last year, & would love to go back.

Thanks for the "Bon Voyage" wishes.

What did you think of the wind & rain today?

The worst I have ever seen. There is always more wind on Nun's Island than anywhere else.

Eileen

Hi, Yes, Bobby's Girl, I think the cruises from Montreal to "where they go" for us at least are very expensive and could never justify the cost.

It's hard for me to justify the cost of a cruise in general. Hubby and I were talking about it, and for us, it's almost a waste. We don't do any of the shipboard thing (or hardly any), and the price we pay for the "food" is really a waste for us.

I looked at the Tahiti cruise price (not that I would be going anytime soon) but as an example and I could stay at one of the best resorts, and eat well and still have money left over for sightseeing etc and would not cost as much as the cruise would before "cruise extras", add in the extras and I really could go for a lot less.

One of my problems is I need a large room with balcony. I'm a bit claustrophobic and I could never stay in a small room without balcony for one thing plus we are not "cruise life" people. We like to have breakfast in the cabin while getting ready for the shore excursions. I'm really not a breakfast person and after dinner we had a stroll and then back to the cabin to relax. We made really good use of our cabin when we were on this first cruise.

So therefore, really can't justify the expense of cruise especially since we don't go for all the meals. It's like we pay for lunch but if it's a shore day we ate on shore (which was fine for this trip we knew it) but it's like why pay double, plus all the shipboard activity and other meals (like high tea, only went once). Not to mention hubby really wants more shore time. He likes to take pictures very often at the end of the day with the evening sun and that's when we had to get back on the ship, lol.

I really can understand why some people love to cruise, it's great if you take advantage of all a cruise has to offer.

Hi Fleuve,

Oh you are welcome, I hope you have a fantastic time with great weather, again, safe, happy and healthy travels.

Yes, that would be the only good thing, not having to fly to get to the cruise ship (I hate to fly because of my ears).

Yes, if no luggage I could walk home as I often walk by the ships when they are in port as hubby likes to take pics of them.

I stayed in yesterday, that wind and rain was really nasty out there. Today looks like a better day although it really did get quite cool. Was very chilly last night and I think today will be on the chilly side (I'm happy I just hate hot weather).

Yes, I hear Newfoundland is beautiful, hubby would like to go, but none of the ships go there. If we could do a rt cruise to Newfoundland we would probably go but for the ones that come here, we have been to Boston, Cape Cod, New York and hubby has been to Halifax etc so just can justify the price.

When are you leaving again? I look forward to hearing all about your trip when you get back.

Love your CC name.

Why did you pick it?

Can you guess why I picked " Fleuve"

Probably, only Montrealers would get it!

We leave on the Voyageur on Oct 7th to Western Carib.

Unlike you & your hubby, we like everything the cruise has to offer.

We usually eat at a table for 2, go to the bar before dinner to dance & have a drink( or 2).

We almost always see the shows.

On shore, we like the catamarans & beach days.

I think this will be our 35th cruise, so we have our routine down pat.

We try to do longer than 7 days--at least 10 . Because my husband works, we can't go for as long as we would like.

The only negative, is that it is very hard not to gain weight.

We are in for a nice weekend weather wise. Will be biking to Old Mtl.

Eileen

Hi, thank you,

Lol, I understand the name, lol. Hubby 6'4 and he got nicknamed moose because of his long legs when he was at uni and he told me about it so I just took "MrsMoose", I think moose are so cute anyway.

Wow 35 cruises, we don't really do "warm weather vacations" the only "warm weather vacation we do is go to Ogunquit Maine, and not for the beach. I hate the beach, I hate heat and I get physically ill in heat, I go for a weekend as I think it's a cute place and to eat the lobster. Other than that I like to go skiing.

That really is amazing 35 cruises. We really didn't want to take part in cruise life. Maybe at some point we will see things differently but for now, it's not something we really want and hard to justify the price when not taking advantage of what cruising has to offer.

I know a lady who loves cruising, she's been on 4 and she thinks is wonderful and I see her point. She is into the pool, the shows, the activities, and the shore excursions going to different ports. She likes to get dressed for dinner and it's really a perfect trip for her. For us, so much of a cruise is a waste that just hard to justify the cost for us.

We will probably be out and about in Old Montreal as it's supposed to be a nice weekend. Have fun cycling. If you see a 6'4 man with a short wife, stop and say "hi MrsMoose".

You too, have a great weekend, who knows maybe we will meet up for a drink if you like sometime the 4 of us on a weekend.

Mrs. Moose you must enjoy the fall and perhaps the winter in Montreal. This summer was very warm, I'm not looking forward to this month's hydro bill for the AC and pool use. I am enjoying walking in the cool of the morning. Would love to get into Maine and Vermont for fall colours but that will not happen. Am trying to get to Kingston to visit friends with my dd after canadian thanksgiving. Love your cc name....

Hi thanks, some people think the name is funny but in so many ways, it's just part of who I am. How are you feeling? I hope you are fully recovered.

Kingston is a nice city, was there when we went to the Thousand Islands and once when we stayed over on our way to Niagra on the Lake. Now that's a beautiful town. We did the ghost walk tour and I loved it.

It's a much further trip for you than for us. I can drive to some places in VT just for the day and Ogunquit is about 7 - 8 hours. So many people from Quebec go to Ogunquit. Maybe you will get to go sometime in the future. Never say never!!

It was a very hot, miserable, long summer. I have a/c but the heating still costs more as we heat on electric as well. In peak winter, heating is tripple the a/c costs and I blast the a/c so can't complain about that.

I hope you get to visit your friends in Kingston. Ottawa is also a nice city for a weekend. It's like I would love to go to Stratford on the Avon in Ontario but it's just too far. To far for a one day drive and not worth it if I have to stay over to get there for a long weekend if you know what I mean, so I understand about the Maine/Vermont thing for you.

If you ever get over this way give me a shout maybe we can meet up for a drink.

Have a great weekend

Mrs. Moose, I'm recovering nicely still a bit of discomfort but I'm back to most of my activities, just not carrying groceries, my teenagers are helping there. The leaves here in SW Ontario are going to be sad this year due to drought. Stratford is wonderful place visit. Enjoy going to theatre there in summer. We live about 1.5 hours west of Stratford, so you can imagine why I find Vermont a long drive. It is warm and foggy today, it is difficult to dress as I want to wear my sweaters but it too warm. Wishing for New England autumn I quess. Cheers!!:)

We too, go to Ogunquit at least once during the summer, for 3 nights.

We love it there.

We have stayed at almost evry B&B/hotel in the area on Shore Road.

Have been going for about25yrs.

Love Barnacle Billy's( lobster & rum punches) & the Oarweed.

So many fun places to visit.

Did you see " the World" was parked near Habitat, all weekend?

How cool is that?

Now that's cruising!!!.

Summer is hanging on--it is hot today.

Hi, ladies,

Glad to hear you are recovering well BG, hope it continues that way. Yes, I can fully understand why VT is a long drive for you. It's like Strattford for us and VT would be even longer.

Fleuve, I didn't go out much this weekend, had a bit of a cold so wanted to rest, hubby saw it, and told me about it. I saw it the last time it was here a couple of years ago. I think he said that there were 2 ships in port plus the Residence at the Havre.

My fav place on Ogunquit is the Lobster Pound. Don't like Orweeds, we kind of rotate from the Lobster Pound and Barnacle Billy's. Usually stay at the Aspinquid. We never stay at B& B's as they don't take smokers. Many of the places there don't anymore.

Hope y'all had a nice weekend.

Archived