Rent a car?

michellejed

Thinking of renting a car, would you and is the island small enough like Cozumel is to get around?

Safe to go around on our own?

Thanks for any info,

Michelle

There are car rentals at the airport, Avis is there. Airport code is RTB.

Get a good map. But shouldn't be too difficult to drive around. Head up toward French Harbor and Jonesville/Oak Ridge then over to the other side. Here's a link to get you started.

http://www.roatanonline.com/

There are several car rental agencies right next to the airport. We've used AVIS and A&G car rentals before. A&G were really good, AVIS was ok but I believe they have changed to National now.

From the airport you can drive to the West End of the island in about 30 minutes which gets you to West Bay Beach and going towards the east end of the island you can drive about 1 hour because the roads are not paved past Oakridge. If you're really into exploring, there is a great beach called Paya Bay Beach at the east end of the island that is very quite. Nice restaurant there as well. Oakridge is ok, not much to do or see there. I would not go much past Paya Bay Beach going East, not much to see or do there. Hope that helps.

, AVIS was ok but I believe they have changed to National now.

Unless this happened in the last week AVIS is still AVIS. I have rented from them for many years and recommended avis to those that rent my house and have never had or heard a complaint. The vehicles are NOT the prettiest and many vehicles on Roatan in general would never pass a full out safety inspection yet I prefer not to have the prettiest car that I will get dinged :) for for the slightest scratch or door ding.

There is a car rental also in the new Mahogany Bay dock area, just as you leave the terminal area by the taxis to you right, there was no name up though. Mahogany Bay is farther away from the airport then coxen hole is so a taxi is needed to get to the airport.

And while you have been provided some good information on Rental Cars, I would not recommend a cruiser with limited time and no experience on the island to do so for a number of reason, mainly that for not much more you can hire a driver for the day who will do what you want, go where you want, AND be able to offer recomendations. No need to wory about parking, security, good or bad areas and things like that. He will also know the roads, turns, recent potholes, muddy areas if its rainy season and he can watch belongings if you decide to do some exploring.

If your one that just needs to explore on your own then please, just use caution. Do not feel pressured to speed because of the tailgaters, They will pass you soon enough, it might be going up or down a hill, around a corner, on the left and sometimes even on the right and on very rare occasions in a nice straight area designated for passing. Beware of the pedestrians, dogs, horses, cows and potholes that you may encounter and in this type of situation i would by all means pay for their insurance.

And while you have been provided some good information on Rental Cars, I would not recommend a cruiser with limited time and no experience on the island to do so for a number of reason, mainly that for not much more you can hire a driver for the day who will do what you want, go where you want, AND be able to offer recomendations. No need to wory about parking, security, good or bad areas and things like that. He will also know the roads, turns, recent potholes, muddy areas if its rainy season and he can watch belongings if you decide to do some exploring.

If your one that just needs to explore on your own then please, just use caution. Do not feel pressured to speed because of the tailgaters, They will pass you soon enough, it might be going up or down a hill, around a corner, on the left and sometimes even on the right and on very rare occasions in a nice straight area designated for passing. Beware of the pedestrians, dogs, horses, cows and potholes that you may encounter and in this type of situation i would by all means pay for their insurance.

I disagree. We rented a car for the day and, armed with a great map of the island, got around just fine on our own. You're right about the tailgaters (mostly the cabs) -- we just pulled over and let them by -- and the condition of the road was pretty bad in some places, but we loved being able to find/explore things on our own and at our own, leisurely pace.

Certainly for those less adventurous types, booking a guide makes more sense, but for those with more of a "do it yourself" attitude, Roatan is very easy/safe to get around.

Hopefully we'll be back later this year. My husband fell in love with Roatan and would really like for us to buy a place down there.

I disagree. .

What do you disagree with? Did you forget the part of my post mentioning those that want to go on their own and be careful?

Geez, I make a mention of options and make sure to include some info for those more adventurous who will rent and i still get someone telling me i am wrong.

Do you really feel a rental car is good for all? If not then what do you disagree with?

Thanks to all for the info!

My sister and I both in or 50's have always rented a car on Cozumel (flat and tame lol)

We love getting out on our own and stop when we want.

We always walk around Jamaica on our own also and never a problem. This is our first time in Roatan and have read some great reviews.

My sister is dreaming of moving to some place warmer and laid back, we thought this might be a good opportunity to see a bit more then any tour might give us.

Roatan1.. do you suggest one type of vehicle over another?

Thanks again,

Michelle

MichelleJed,

If staying to the main roads than any car will do. If venturing down the dirt roads, especially in the winter rainy season, a 4x4 may be more reassuring. Some will say you must get a 4x4 but that is simply not the case as you will see just about every single taxi and minivan/bus are two wheel drive and get around just fine.

Now, If your really thinking about the retirement thing then there are some realtors that do a trip just for showing people around. You could contact them ahead of time with whatever things your interested in and they could plan a tour, they would drive and it would be win win for everyone

• 1 month later...
There are several car rental agencies right next to the a I would not go much past Paya Bay Beach going East, not much to see or do there. Hope that helps.

Can you tell more about paya bay beach area, if we drive there... Do we have to pay entrance fee for entering their beaches? Or is it ok if we just consume their services (Eat, drink etc) ?

you will love the taxes you have to pay on that island ...very little.

One of the reason infrastructure is so bad, poor schools, poor public hospitals and health care, bad roads, and a very lacking police and fire department just to name a few things.

Archived