is this day do-able? Tulum/Akumal/PdC

OCDplanner

My first cruise will be with CCL's Fantasy on March 8-15 stopping in Cozumel and Calica. The people adventuring this day are 2 young couples (both early-mid twenties). Everything looks fabulous and I want to do it all. I have a tentative day planned but I need to know if you all think it's possible. Also, I have other questions (at the bottom).

The boat comes in to port at 7am

• By 7:30-8:00 be in the rental car that I will have reserved(http://www.acerentacar.com/default.aspx)
  • By 9am be in Tulum. Roam that area for hour/hour and a half.
  • At 10:30 drive to Akumal
  • Get to Akumal by 11
  • Snorkel in Akumal for an hour, maybe check out some stuff around Akumal
  • By 12:00-12:30 head back to PdC so we're there by 1-1:30 and drink and eat and shop on 5th ave and find the best mojito I can.
  • 1:30-4:30 consume the best mojito I can, support the economy with buying things, find ceviche
  • 4:30-4:45 return the car and get back on the Fantasy

Questions:

1. Everyone seems to be hesitant about the rental car. Should I be worried? From what I've read here, it sounds like it'll be okay. A taxi for all this seems like it would be too much. Am I wrong about that?
  2. In Akumal, should we get a guided tour or just rent snorkeling equipment? I'm trying to be frugal. Where's a good, cheap, short tour with equipment, or where can I rent equipment cheaply? I like the idea of not being on a tour so time isn't restricted.
  3. Am I giving myself enough time for all of this?
  4. Where can I find the best mojito and ceviche in PdC?
  5. By what time should I be back to the boat? It says it'll be in port from 7-5, but I want to be back early so I don't miss it and be stranded in Mexico.

The cruise is in 60 days. We just bought the tickets yesterday, but I'm really OCD and have been nothing but reading these boards and researching everything the past 2-3 days. THANK YOU, CRUISE CRITIC BOARDS.

yikes, that sounds like an incredibly frenetic day. It is your choice, of course but if you want to go to Tulum I would suggest a ship's excursion and then come back to PDC and do some shopping and drinking. What if you have car problems, etc?

Yeah, my plans have changed to hiring a cab for a day. But now I don't know how much that would cost, judging by the taxi fares list posted, it would be like $75, so i'm thinking $100? Is that reasonable?

Also, I'm now planning on one couple renting snorkel equipment so one can be in the water while the other watches their stuff.

I want it to be relaxed, but at the same time, who knows when I'll be able to do this stuff again?

• 2 weeks later...

we did an itinerary like this (but more) through edventures. Check out some of his reviews and see if it is something that would interest you. It has been a while since we did it but I am planning another trip down there this spring so it has been on my mind.

http://gallery.me.com/flipfloppincastaways#gallery Edventures

Here is a movie I made of our day if you are interested.

Archived