Separate check-in with Carnival?

2preschoolers

Two people in our group have disabilities - but are not in wheelchairs. They do have handicap parking permits. My husband, for example, has a degenerative back disorder and is not able to stand for long periods of time. Can you tell me if there is a separate checkin line for people who aren't able to tolerate standing or if there are chairs available for those in the party who can't stand? And if there is a separate check-in, should we bring a form from the doctor or what is needed? Thank you.

Two people in our group have disabilities - but are not in wheelchairs. They do have handicap parking permits. My husband, for example, has a degenerative back disorder and is not able to stand for long periods of time. Can you tell me if there is a separate checkin line for people who aren't able to tolerate standing or if there are chairs available for those in the party who can't stand? And if there is a separate check-in, should we bring a form from the doctor or what is needed? Thank you.

No seperate check for people with disabilities that I recall. HC parking permits are only neccessary if your are driving to and parking at the port for the duration of the cruise. Besides not everyone who have disability needs a HC parking placard. You do not need a letter from your Doctor to have wheelchair assistance when boarding. When you arrived at the port, tell the porters the number of persons in your party that need wheelchair assistance with boarding. The porters will push everyone through the check in process and onto the ship. Also when departing the ship again ask for wheelchair assistance. However note that the cruise line will not provide a wheelchair for your husband during the cruise. That will be your responsibility to obtain one if he needs it for daily use. Recommend that you tip the porters pushing the wheelchairs.

If you husband has problems standing for periods of time, you might consider bringing a rollator with a seat or a wheelchair. Mobility equipment such as these items may be of benefit of to husband . Especially on Shore Excursion.

Son in wheelchair. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy embarking/disembarking was. Carnival kept us all together. Helped find us the short lines.

Also, found most px to be helpful - except for when there was a crush at elevators when shows were over.

I don't know how big your group is but be aware that your whole group will not get priority boarding. Whenever I cruise with my mom I was told only one person is allowed to accompany the disabled person. Depending on the size of your group you might need to split up and meet on the ship later.

In my opinion there is much more waiting/walking/standing on the ship than there is to get on the ship. If your husband can't stand long enough to get on the ship he will have trouble on the ship. I would recomend renting a rollator with a seat or a wheelchair for the disabled persons.

Also, don't forget to tip the wheelchair pushers. Anywhere from $5-$20 each.

Have a great cruise. :D

I suggest you request wheel chair assistance from the cruiseline in advance for embarcation only that is. they don't provide WC's on board, you must rent them for that from outside source. But they do have a list of those needing assistance and will speed you through the process and get you on board.

Archived