Carrying wine on

Carolin

Good morning,

I know I can carry on one bottle per person at boarding time. I've always wondered if I can carry on a bottle at ports of call. I realize they keep booze and you have to check it in but... what if I hadn't initially boarded with any wine and decided to pick up something along the way. My guess is I can't but I wonder.

I always thought they confiscated all alcohol you bought in the ports. That was my experience on all other cruises. They would have a table after you reboarded and give you a claim check. However, on latest Inspiration cruise, we bought a bottle of Tequila in Cozumel. Didn't try to hide it, it went through the xray. And no one took it from us. We brought it to the cabin.

I am not aware that the rule has changed. We were just "lucky".

I know nothing since well, havent been on a cruise yet. :)

But thinking about it.... They would somehow have to keep track of who has carried on a bottle of wine and who hasn't. Then at each port would have to access this data to see who carried wine on and didnt initially.

Seems like something that would be tedious to do.

When you reboard at a port of call you have to go through the same type of equipment that you go through at an airport when boarding a plane. Your purse or bags go through the machine and a cruise member sees what's in it and you go through the metal detector. Then you are told to check your liquor that you bought at the port at a table with crew who record your purchase and and then the liquor is kept in storage and they return it to your cabin the morning of the departure and you walk it off the ship. It sounds really crazy I know. One of our dinner tablemates said there was a line at the table to record and take the liquor for storage until the end of the cruise so she just took it up to her room and was not stopped by crew. You can also buy liquor at a shop onboard that has some decnt prices but once again you can't consume that liquor on board. The ship also holds that liquor purchase for you and delivers it on the last morning. CCL makes great $ on the alcoholic drinks on board and when we 1st cruised we couldn't bring on wine. Other cruise lines don't allow it.

Archived