Backpacks on Mayan excursions?

dfwguy62

I'm on NCL Spirit in a couple weeks and will be focusing on Mayan excursions. In Belize City, I'll be doing the Lamanai & New River Safari excursion, for example. From those who have done this or similar excursions (also going to Chacchoben in Costa Maya, Quirigua & Dulce River Safari in Guatemala, and Tulum in Cozumel), is carrying a backpack recommended?

I'll have a digital camera, a digital video camera, and will likely have the bug spray, portable umbrella, rain poncho, bottled water, etc. I'm guessing most people carry a bag. No?

acutally, some people (on the tour) had flip flops and carry a regular purse. a few of us were prepared with: hats, good walking shoes, extra bottles of water, etc.

lamanai: can be very hot/humid under the jungle cover. dry when we went, didn't take umbrella or rain gear. they give out water bottles at the rest stop and bottle soda/water at the lunch break. don't over pack, the path can be slippery...over stone steps/ roots/ etc.

quirigua: very little tree cover, open grassy meadow that does get very HOT/sunny. we had bug problems here, 'skitters up from the grass. they do give out water when you get off the bus, we had extra. but there is a little restaurant/shop to buy more drinks if you need them.

we only did still photos, didn't want to be bogged down carrying too much, lamanai is a LONG day!!!

I agree with Tayz711 about Lamanai.

We always travel with our backpacks. I have a mini first-aide kit, extra water, bug stuff, cameras, hat etc. When we climbed the largest ruin, our tour guide carried out backpacks for us. (Not sure how he managed so well as I had to hang on and watch my balance.)

Have fun on your excursions - they all sound great.

Anyone know if they have bees there in Belize? I found out one person in our group is highly contageous to bee stings. He carries his epi pen, but if he gets stung, needs to go to the hospital right away. He was going to do the zip line, but decided not to. Now, he wants to do the Mayan ruins, Lamanai, and I don't know anything about bees in the Belize jungle. I would think it would run the same risk at the zip line?

Anyone know if they have bees there in Belize? I found out one person in our group is highly contageous to bee stings. He carries his epi pen, but if he gets stung, needs to go to the hospital right away. He was going to do the zip line, but decided not to. Now, he wants to do the Mayan ruins, Lamanai, and I don't know anything about bees in the Belize jungle. I would think it would run the same risk at the zip line?

We too carry an EPI Pen. DP is allergic to bees if stung.

We did bring our EPI pen to Lamanai, but did not see or experience any when we went. That is not to say there are no bees there, we just did not see them. We went in the month of February and very early in the AM. Do not know if that makes a difference.

Note that Lamanai is a bit far removed from anything! There is not a hospital around the corner.

Lamanai is wonderful. Enjoy - do not forget the EPI pen -a great thing to carry in your backpack:)

Archived