Carnival in Curacao

DCParky

My cruise will be in port on Tuesday Feb. 16th during Carnival in Curacao. Has anyone been there during Carnival and would you recommend prearranged seating (by the cruise company) for the parade or just witiness it street-side?

• 3 weeks later...

We were lucky enough to watch the Carnaval from a friend's family member's balcony in Otrobanda in 1998. I've been told that the event has gotten larger and more festive with every year that passes.

Parts of the route are narrow and it's difficult to see the costumes, street performers and dancers unless they are on a float/raised platform. If you just want to hear the music, steel drums and/or singing, then you can find a spot since humongous speakers accompany most of the main groups.

My cruise will be in port on Tuesday Feb. 16th during Carnival in Curacao. Has anyone been there during Carnival and would you recommend prearranged seating (by the cruise company) for the parade or just witiness it street-side?

just watch your personal belongings. the entire island population is congegrated in one small area for a long time. Very noisy. Watch your kids and elderly, but have fun. you can see a lot of the parade but IF you want to sit, work it out to pay in advance and enjoy the many colors of the island.You will see stuff you never thought you would ever see........

• 4 weeks later...

Holland America had organized an excursion for 500 passengers to view the Carnival somewhere in the middle of the parade route. It was one of the best excursions I have done ever!

We were transported from the ship starting 6 pm, traveling in mini busses. We arrived at the viewing stands around 7 pm and were not sure what time the parade would reach us. Eventually we heard it would be around 9 pm. The excursion included snacks (hot dog, chicken satay and pastiches) and beverages could be purchased - all served from a buidling behind the stands.

Some of the locals did not seem to be too happy that we were there (500 gays, lesbians and friends) Others were much friendlier, maybe because we were obviously having a fun time! When the colorful parade started it was a non-stop party for us whilst some of the locals next to us sat quietly in their seats. When one group stopped in front of our stands and welcomed us from their sound system and rocked us to the Black Eyed Peas' 'I gotta feeling', everyone in our group was on their feet dancing and singing (OK, except for the one very elderly gentleman in our group!) Meanwhile those in the stands next to us just sat and stared.

The parade of bands, floats, costumes and music was qiute an experience. I especially loved it that each group had its own 'bar car' dispensing drinks and it often had a porta-potty for the group too!

Unfortunately we had to leave the around 11 pm to get to the ship by midnight and the parade was still going on. They stopped the parade so we could cross the street to the waiting buses. Some in the stands next to us applauded as we left and I had a feeling it was because they were glad to see us leave. But many more came rushing back down the parade route to come say goodbye and to thank us for coming out to the parade.

Back on our minibus we were having a good old time and then the theme song from the 'Love Boat' played (arranged by the driver or pure fluke?) and the whole bus broke out into a sing-along!

Back onboard the ship we headed to the upper decks to watch the fireworks at the end of Carnival.

It was indeed 'a good, good night'!

PS. Ours was an RSVP charter (gays, lesbians and family and friends). Earlier in the day we heard comments from taxi drivers etc. that 'there's going to be a gay ship here today'. And our response was usually: 'That's us!'. I don't know if they expected gays to look different; obviously we were not what they expected. :D

Archived