Electronics Shopping? Any tips?

CyndiNYC

I have to agree with Cruzn Tom. Do your homework. I looked at camera prices in St. Thomas and St. Maarten and was not overly impressed. I could have done just as well on the internet at home.

And keep in mind that the preferred stores that the cruiseline recommends amount to little more than the store paying a fee to the cruiseline.

I asked the shopping guide on our Royal Caribbean trip last week why RC doesn't recommend any electronics shops. He said they had a lot of problems with them in the past, namely:

1. Warranties weren't valid here in the U.S.

2. Models are sometimes not even sold in the U.S., meaning that you would never be able to get the items serviced here. (I saw a few Sony cameras that actually had their on-screen menus in Japanese!)

3. Fluctuation of prices

I agree with the other posters that you should know exactly what the items cost here, and know exactly what model of an item you want.

I looked around in St Maarten for an Apple Ipod or Ipod Mini. What I found was that the Ipods were priced HIGHER than what they're priced in the states, by about 25%.

• 2 weeks later...
I looked around in St Maarten for an Apple Ipod or Ipod Mini. What I found was that the Ipods were priced HIGHER than what they're priced in the states, by about 25%.

*sigh* I was hoping for an iBook or Powerbook, not looking good. Oh wel. Thanks.

You get a better deal on items made outside of the US. My friend wanted a digital camera and only one brand was carried in Royal Caribbean because the others were US brand, (e.g. Kodak). Prices for the other one 3.2 megs was within $20 of US in NYC. It does not pay imho to get an overseas warranty for a twenty dollar difference.

Archived