Anybody going on Island Escape at Feb half term?

Hello - we went on Spirit Oct 23rd for our first cruise and really enjoyed it. We've booked to go around the Canaries Feb 12th and this time we are taking our 16 year old daughter. I hope she likes it. From what I've seen on here I suspect IE will be quite different from Spirit but never mind - variety is the spice of life!

Hi,

We've had 2 great cruises on the Escape now. The last just before Christmas with our 2 sons in their 20's (their 1st cruise).

I've posted a review on the Island cruises board and the Review section.

Unfortunately everyone is concentrating on the comments of the disastrous Christmas cruise due to extreme weather and toilet problems.

like other Thomson's ships all the crew are fantastic and work hard to give you a good time.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=61276

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

We are going on the Island Escape on the 1st July around the Med and must admit keep thinking have we made a terrible mistake following all the terrible reviews I'm reading:eek: Then I go back to yours and don't feel so bad.

We've been on the Destiny 3 times and I know people complain about her, but we think she's brilliant so maybe we will like the Escape as well.:rolleyes:

We always go with an open mind and I'm not going to let the bad reviews put me off, otherwise I will be looking for problems and that will totally spoil our holiday. We are going in the summer so there shouldn't be any problems with rough seas (hopefully). When we went on a cruise on the Destiny to the Canaries etc (and also when we went to the Caribbean last March) we still felt the swell when we were in the Atlantic and several people were complaining of seasickness, so it's not just the Escape that can't handle it. We've not been on any of the huge ships so can't compare.

Anyway I think I'll ignore any more bad reviews and just make up my own mind when we go.

Janet:)

Hi Janet,

She's ex Royal Caribbean like Destiny and about the same age.

We saw Destiny in Civitavecchia last June next to us on the Royal Caribbean ship, she looked so small next us and we were the smallest R.C. ship.

She is the biggest as far as gross tonnage goes and people still complained of the "rough weather" due to sea swell. I'd been on deck those nights and they were clear and starry, light breeze.

As you've done Transatlantic you'll know what i mean.

You do get the odd dodgy cabin, like all ships. But we've had three cabins on her with no problems. 2 on deck 9 and this time the boys had 4068 on deck 4. Theirs was the same inside as ours apart from the fridge.

If people are early to bed types a couple did complain of noise in their cabin opposite us, 9576. On checking I found they were right over the small stage area in the Bounty Lounge. No wonder. But whenever we were up late there they always finished about 12.45 a.m.

There is a thread on the Island Cruises board asking about cabins. We've not just recommended insides as the O.P. asked.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1116669.

Berwyn

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/Cymro1953/

That's the link to my pics of the ship from last year.

I have started posting some pics of the recent cruise, but only the cabin so far.

If you click the Canaries Cruise 2009 link on the left.

This year's cabin was a bit narrower that last year, same corridor just further along, so we couldn't have the bed as a double without blocking the balcony.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

Thanks for the info. I think we've got a deck 6 or 7 (can't remember which) outside. We never worry too much about the size of the cabin as we spend so little time in it, just to sleep and shower/change. I must admit we do like outside cos we like the natural light but that's just a personal opinion. Not too bothered about double bed either as I like to get away from the OH snoring????:eek:

Did think about changing to the Dream in the Med when I kept reading all the bad reviews, but it would have cost around £500 more and we had been to most of the destinations before as well so couldn't see the point.

Anyway I'm sure we will have a good time - we've not had a bad cruise with Thomson yet!!!!

Janet

Hi Berwyn

Not too bothered about double bed either as I like to get away from the OH snoring????

Janet

The cabins aren't that big Janet. :D You'll still hear him.

I know what you mean about outside and light. The boys on deck 4 and those on deck 3 had portholes and they were shut for 2 days as swell so big.

DW loves the new found cruising but likes being as far away from the water as possible, that's why we book as high up as possible :confused: There's logic there somewhere.

I think the reviews would not have been so bad if the weather had not been so bad for the Christmas cruisers. My friend from work was on holiday in funchal when we were there and the week they sailed. Been going for years and made friends with the locals. One said to them she was 40 and never seen weather like it.

Cabins were clean with comfortable beds, food good, entertainment excellent and public rooms fine. Now thomson's have her it was nice to be able to go in any lounge or bar with the no smoking indoors policy

Berwyn

Archived